Author Topic: I have a question for any Christian here.  (Read 9301 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: I have a question for any Christian here.
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2014, 08:47:32 pm »
We'll just have to see what God says on the judgement day but those condoning 'gay' marriage, priests, lifestyle and adoptive parents may find themselves on the wrong side of God.

I doubt it.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2014, 08:51:01 pm »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mountaineer

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2014, 08:56:21 pm »
I doubt it.
Why? If you really want to know what God has to say, why not just read the Bible and find out?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2014, 10:30:51 pm »
GourmetDan - You misunderstand me. The church should talk about sin, and God’s judgment, Hell, repentance, and redemption. Asking them not to would be like asking a Doctor not to talk about sickness.  A church that doesn’t, goes down the path of accepting sin, and conforming to the World’s standards not God’s.  We’ve seen that over and over in some of our nations well established denominations. We’ve seen that in scripture in the letters John wrote to the churches.  I get that.  But when the church talks about sin, it should do so with a broken heart, and with the compassion shown by Jesus to the Samaritan woman, the adulteress, the thief who died next to him.  With complete understanding of the struggle these people are going through and the deep pit they are in. The same struggles we had, for we are all sinners and fall short. When we become so self-righteous is when we forget that. ….. When we stop remembering we are sinners saved by grace, we stop loving people who are sinners needing grace.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Oceander

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2014, 10:34:54 pm »
He must love me for some reason. I'm still breathing.  :tongue2:

that or you're a favored cats-paw!

SPQR

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2014, 10:56:44 pm »

What you end up with is a carnal 'church' that celebrates the start of football season by having everybody wear their favorite team's jersey to Sunday worship.  Tattoos are celebrated with the Youth Pastor's wife leading the Children's Church leader in getting new ones.  Anybody that objects is censored and the party goes on.  This happened recently in my church.

All those things are not acceptable in our Church. Tattoos are not acceptable. Those who disregard this counsel show a lack of respect for themselves and for God. Blue jeans are not acceptable. Shorts are not acceptable. Sweatshirts and pants are not acceptable except for permission, such as a surgery. They would not even get in the front door if these were allowed. I would quickly point this out to people in the Quorum.It must be business attire. I dress in the traditional black and white suit.They must be at their Sunday best.Some people are clean shaved and others are not. I am clean shaven because I want to continue the policy of professionalism.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:39:54 am by Trigger »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2014, 01:14:41 am »
All those things are not acceptable in our Church. Tattoos are not acceptable. Those who disregard this counsel show a lack of respect for themselves and for God. Blue jeans are not acceptable. Shorts are not acceptable. Sweatshirts and pants are not acceptable except for permission, such as a surgery. They would not even get in the front door if these were allowed. I would quickly point this out to people in the Quorum.It must be business attire. I dress in the traditional black and white suit.They must be at their Sunday best.Some people are clean shaved and others are not. I am clean shaven because I want to continue the policy of professionalism.

I trust all LDS temples are not as strict as yours. If they are, then I guess the next time they knock on my door, rather than having a friendly chat on the porch, I can just say, "sorry I'm not welcome in your church, and neither is the Marine up the street with the tattoo".  Seriously I have a few Mormon friends, and I never heard from any of them any prejudice against people that don't always dress up for church.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2014, 01:21:45 am »
I trust all LDS temples are not as strict as yours. If they are, then I guess the next time they knock on my door, rather than having a friendly chat on the porch, I can just say, "sorry I'm not welcome in your church, and neither is the Marine up the street with the tattoo".  Seriously I have a few Mormon friends, and I never heard from any of them any prejudice against people that don't always dress up for church.

Apparently God is worried about details like what you look like when you go to worship him.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

SPQR

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2014, 02:04:54 am »

It says so in the Bible. “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are” (1 Corinthians 3:16–17). All of the LDS churches in my area have the same rules of conduct when it comes what you wear.

https://www.lds.org/topics/tattooing?lang=eng
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:13:03 am by Trigger »

SPQR

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2014, 02:16:44 am »
Dress and grooming

Members attending Sunday services will most likely be wearing their “Sunday best,” which may include suits, sport coats, and ties for the men and modest dresses or skirts for the women. Children also typically dress up for Sunday.

Members of the Church celebrate Christmas and Easter, regarding these two events as the most spiritually significant days in history because of the birth, suffering, death, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Church members also celebrate the regional and national holidays of the countries where they live. Church members also celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, and similar events

http://www.mormon.org/faq/mormon-beliefs

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:20:19 am by Trigger »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2014, 02:24:16 am »
OK, I'll just leave it at that. No point carrying this debate on page after page.

Oceander

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2014, 03:52:04 am »
OK, I'll just leave it at that. No point carrying this debate on page after page.

You've done a magnificent job of it, though, so you can take some satisfaction in that!

:thumbsup:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2014, 06:09:25 am »
Apparently God is worried about details like what you look like when you go to worship him.

It's more a mark of respect, I think. You get dressed nicely if you go to a friend's home for a dinner party, right? Or for a wedding or a funeral. I've gone to Mass in torn and stained jeans and an ancient T-shirt if I am getting back from work too late to get changed, because attending Mass is more important than looking nice, in my book. Still, it's nice to look nice for church.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2014, 06:12:15 am »
It's more a mark of respect, I think. You get dressed nicely if you go to a friend's home for a dinner party, right? Or for a wedding or a funeral. I've gone to Mass in torn and stained jeans and an ancient T-shirt if I am getting back from work too late to get changed, because attending Mass is more important than looking nice, in my book. Still, it's nice to look nice for church.
  :amen:

Im too strict. Maybe I should ease up on the throttle a little bit.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:15:02 am by Trigger »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2014, 08:48:27 am »

When people wear their "Sunday best", they behave better.   More reverent, etc..  Same thinking is used today when debating whether children in school should be wearing uniforms vs. denim blue jeans

Being taught by Franciscan and Jesuits, we had to wear dress shoes, sport coats, white shirts with neck ties.  LOL!  It was an all boys school.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:05:44 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2014, 09:22:43 am »
  :amen:

Im too strict. Maybe I should ease up on the throttle a little bit.

Passion is a good thing. Heck of a good debate though.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2014, 09:30:44 am »
When people where their "Sunday best", they behave better.   More reverent, etc..  Same thinking is used today when debating whether children in school should be wearing uniforms vs. denim blue jeans

Being taught by Franciscan and Jesuits, we had to wear dress shoes, sport coats, white shirts with neck ties.  LOL!  It was an all boys school.

True. Just compare the behavior of kids in McDonalds and the same kids in a proper sit down restaurant, for example. Clothes do make a difference.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2014, 12:12:47 pm »
Not necessarily. I believe Trigger is saying his church has certain expectations regarding dress. It's not the case with most Christian denominations.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2014, 01:25:55 pm »
GourmetDan - You misunderstand me. The church should talk about sin, and God’s judgment, Hell, repentance, and redemption. Asking them not to would be like asking a Doctor not to talk about sickness.  A church that doesn’t, goes down the path of accepting sin, and conforming to the World’s standards not God’s.  We’ve seen that over and over in some of our nations well established denominations. We’ve seen that in scripture in the letters John wrote to the churches.  I get that.  But when the church talks about sin, it should do so with a broken heart, and with the compassion shown by Jesus to the Samaritan woman, the adulteress, the thief who died next to him.  With complete understanding of the struggle these people are going through and the deep pit they are in. The same struggles we had, for we are all sinners and fall short. When we become so self-righteous is when we forget that. ….. When we stop remembering we are sinners saved by grace, we stop loving people who are sinners needing grace.

And you misunderstand me.  I quoted Christ's words to both the Samaritans and the woman.  That was 'the compassion shown by Jesus'.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:26:27 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2014, 08:47:15 pm »
I’m not going to argue about the restrictions another church or denomination has regarding dress or bodily appearance. If that’s fine with them then I’m cool with that. But I’ve grown up in a church where the alter call song was most often “Just as I am” – a song popularized at Billy Gram’s Crusades. Just as I am has a real meaning that I can’t see how anyone can miss. He doesn’t  care about religious  trappings, the style of songs we worship him with, if we have a tie on or not, what kind of sins we have committed in our past, or if we have  a butterfly tattooed on our shoulder. 
When I attend church I don’t wear jeans, opting instead for business casual – but I will not look down on someone attending church in a more casual state of dress, or if I spot a diamond stud in a teenage girls nose or tattoo.  I’m not there to judge the other Christ Followers, I’m there to fellowship with them, and worship with them.   

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2014, 08:53:08 pm »
I’m not going to argue about the restrictions another church or denomination has regarding dress or bodily appearance. If that’s fine with them then I’m cool with that. But I’ve grown up in a church where the alter call song was most often “Just as I am” – a song popularized at Billy Gram’s Crusades. Just as I am has a real meaning that I can’t see how anyone can miss. He doesn’t  care about religious  trappings, the style of songs we worship him with, if we have a tie on or not, what kind of sins we have committed in our past, or if we have  a butterfly tattooed on our shoulder. 
When I attend church I don’t wear jeans, opting instead for business casual – but I will not look down on someone attending church in a more casual state of dress, or if I spot a diamond stud in a teenage girls nose or tattoo.  I’m not there to judge the other Christ Followers, I’m there to fellowship with them, and worship with them.

I never said any of that.  It's about not discipling people after they come in because we have been taught that is 'judging them'.  As a result, most anything goes and everybody remains a babe.  Jesus didn't reject anyone but he demanded that they 'go and sin no more'.

1 Corinthians 5:11 - "But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people."

Such people were either not converted or not discipled...

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:59:26 pm by GourmetDan »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2014, 09:59:16 pm »
That wasn't a response to any of your post - just a general statement why I'm perfectly at ease with my style of church.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2014, 10:06:22 pm »
That wasn't a response to any of your post - just a general statement why I'm perfectly at ease with my style of church.

Sorry, we were the only ones still active in the thread and I thought you were responding to my last post...

Offline olde north church

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2014, 12:31:26 am »
1.  Yes, you do intend to insult, so let's just get that out of the way.  You're a chili cheese dog with onions fart.

2.  Umm, that about covers it.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.