Author Topic: Robin Williams dead at 63  (Read 4681 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Robin Williams dead at 63
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 12:58:10 am »
Why is it that so many comedians battle with depression? All too many find themselves losing the battle.

Here are just a few. Some lost the battle, some still fighting

Owen Wilson, (attempted suicide)
Jeff Dunham
Drew Carey
Jim Carrey
John Belushi
Phil Hartman
Chris Farley
Ellen DeGeneres
David Letterman
Rodney Dangerfield
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 01:02:58 am »
Why is it that so many comedians battle with depression? All too many find themselves losing the battle.

Jeff Dunham
Drew Carey
Jim Carrey
John Belushi
Phil Hartman
Chris Farley
Ellen DeGeneres
David Letterman
Rodney Dangerfield

Probably just as high of a percentage as you'd find among the general population.  The only difference is they are in the public eye.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:03:18 am by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 01:07:26 am »
I think that's a rude thing to think. I know a lot of people who say something like that, like suicide is “cowardly” and “selfish” as if another round of insults is going to stop a person on the brink of taking the most precious thing they have-- their own life. In so many cases the mere lack of acceptance, the inability to fulfill basic needs in life, chronic pain, or other serious agonies drive the decision to kill oneself.

That being said, in Williams's case, it was probably drugs, or withdrawal from them, altering his mind and driving his depression.

yah?  You ever have someone close to you commit suicide? 

Do not suppose you can tell me how or what to think, and I really don't care if you think I'm rude or not.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:07:42 am by Chieftain »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 01:08:49 am »

Jeff Dunham
Drew Carey
Jim Carrey
John Belushi
Phil Hartman
Chris Farley
Ellen DeGeneres
David Letterman
Rodney Dangerfield
Phil Hartman was murdered.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 01:18:40 am »
I wonder when you're 62, if you think 63 is a "....long life".   :whistle:

I have no plans of making it to 62. If I do, I would be more surprised than anyone else.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 01:21:09 am »

Jeff Dunham
Drew Carey
Jim Carrey
John Belushi
Phil Hartman
Chris Farley
Ellen DeGeneres
David Letterman
Rodney Dangerfield
Because comedy is a coping mechanism. By making yourself and others laugh, it helps alleviate distress in your life.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 01:30:01 am »
Williams was good in some roles. I never really thought he was funny at stand-up. He lived a good long life, 63.

But why is this taking up my whole night trying to watch the news? I get it. He's dead. I understand. He was a good guy. I get it. But come on...

Exactly.  It is asinine that FNC is wasting all this airtime, as if there is nothing else important going on....  OK, we got it, he's dead, end of story.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 01:31:41 am »
Exactly.  It is asinine that FNC is wasting all this airtime, as if there is nothing else important going on....  OK, we got it, he's dead, end of story.

Because like always, FNC will run anything celebrity related into the ground.

For the rest of the media, anything to distract the sheeple from Obama's failures.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 01:36:16 am »
Because like always, FNC will run anything celebrity related into the ground.

For the rest of the media, anything to distract the sheeple from Obama's failures.

Yes, every year FNC sinks further into the sewer with the rest of the cable "news" stations.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 01:57:39 am »
Some jaded remarks tonite.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Relic

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 02:37:34 am »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 03:04:57 am »
yep...it is the ultimate selfish act.  Everyone you ever knew is a victim.

This is spoken from the perspective of somebody that does not fully understand what it means to be suicidal. The person killing themselves often times feels that they are doing everybody around them a favor. Their depression has convinced them that they contribute nothing good to the world and that they do nothing but hinder the lives of those around them. It's not done in selfishness, though it does hurt everybody. It's a mental illness, and to say anything otherwise is simply ignorant.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:14:26 am by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 03:12:20 am »
Depression is a mental illness, and stems from abnormal chemistry of the brain.

Most rational people wouldn't criticize somebody for getting cancer. The same should go for depression.

It can be treated with medications, but sometimes the patient decides the side effects are worse than the depression, and stops taking their prescribed meds.

Treatment is not a perfect solution, making all the symptoms vanish.   

It is NOT a disease which only afflicts people of low character, or low morals. It can stand alone, apart from drug and alcohol abuse, however some depressed patients self-medicate with drugs/alcohol.

Williams at one point had long term sobriety from drugs/alcohol but a few years ago he relapsed. It appears he has had difficulty getting back on track, ending with this sad situation.

My own youngest sister has severe depression, but so far has been treated with prescription meds. She has never drank or used any drugs, never.

Very well said.

:thumbsup:
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 04:43:09 am »
Suicide is much too complex to be pigeon-holed as "just" selfish or "just" due to depression and self-loathing.  It can be, and often is, both.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2014, 09:30:59 am »
Life is hard, then you die. Love, compassion, understanding, forgiveness. That's what we owe each other.

Rest in peace, Robin Williams.

rangerrebew

Robin Williams dead at 63
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2014, 10:27:15 am »

Robin Williams dead at 63

By Nicole Sperling on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:55PM  @nicsperling 

Oscar winner and comedian Robin Williams died this morning at 63. While his publicist wouldn’t confirm that his death was a suicide, a rep did issue this statement. “Robin Williams passed away this morning. He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.”

Williams, who won an Oscar for his supporting role in Good Will Hunting, will reprise his role as Theodore Roosevelt in the third installment of Night at the Museum this December. He had recently signed on to reprise his beloved role as Mrs. Doubtfire in a sequel to be directed by Chris Columbus, and was last seen opposite Annette Bening in the indie film The Face of Love. His sitcom The Crazy Ones premiered on CBS last fall, but was not picked up for a second season.

According to a press release issued by the Marin County Coronor’s office, the Sheriff’s office suspects the death to be “suicide due to asphyxia.” The 9-1-1 phone call came in just before noon today.

Update: Fox, which will release the third Night at the Museum film, has issued the following statement: “There really are no words to describe the loss of Robin Williams. He was immensely talented, a cherished member of our community, and part of the Fox family. Our hearts go out to his family, friends and fans. He will be deeply missed.”

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-dead-at-63/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:28:04 am by rangerrebew »

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2014, 10:36:00 am »
May he rest in peace.

rangerrebew

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2014, 03:00:03 pm »
Will Obama order the American Flag flown at half staff as he did for Whitney Houston?  He did more good things with his life than Houston did.

rangerrebew

Robin Williams was a staple of USO tours overseas and in U.S.
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2014, 03:25:14 pm »
Robin Williams was a staple of USO tours overseas and in U.S.

Aug. 12, 2014 - 10:30AM   |   

Robin Williams, shown here Dec. 13, 2010, was one of the first entertainers to go on a USO tour to Southwest Asia in 2002 and ultimately performed for U.S. troops in Afghanistan, Bahrain, Djibouti, Germany, Iraq, Italy, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Qatar, Spain, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and the U.S., Thompson said in an email to Military Times. (Dave Gatley/USO)

By Jeff Schogol
Staff writer

Comedian Robin Williams was regular on USO tours, performing for more 89,400 service members in the U.S. and overseas before his death on Monday, said USO spokeswoman Oname Thompson.

“The entire USO family is saddened by the news of Robin Williams’ passing,” the USO said in a statement on Monday. “One of the great comedic actors of his generation, Williams traveled around the world to lift the spirits of our troops and their families. He will always be a part of our USO family and will be sorely missed.”

Williams was one of the first entertainers to go on a USO tour to Southwest Asia in 2002 and ultimately performed for U.S. troops in Afghanistan, Bahrain, Djibouti, Germany, Iraq, Italy, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Qatar, Spain, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and the U.S., Thompson said in an email to Military Times.

During his six USO tours and entertainment tours, Williams visited wounded warriors, performed at the 2008 USO Gala and traveled with four Joint Chiefs of Staff chairmen on USO holiday tours, Thompson said. His last USO tour was in December 2010.

“The entire of Department of Defense community mourns the loss of Robin Williams,” Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said in a statement on Monday.

“Robin was a gifted actor and comedian, but he was also a true friend and supporter of our troops. From entertaining thousands of service men and women in war zones, to his philanthropy that helped veterans struggling with hidden wounds of war, he was a loyal and compassionate advocate for all who serve this nation in uniform. He will be dearly missed by the men and women of DoD — so many of whom were personally touched by his humor and generosity.”

http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20140812/NEWS/308120052/Robin-Williams-staple-USO-tours-overseas-U-S-
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:26:13 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Robin Williams Never Forgot America’s Real Heroes
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2014, 03:29:56 pm »
Robin Williams Never Forgot America’s Real Heroes

James Carafano / August 12, 2014

Today, Hollywood is full of fictional heroes.  Yet only a few of the many that have stormed screen sets have ever done much to give back to the real heroes—the men and women of America’s armed forces.

Stand up and salute Robin Williams—he was a star who shared his time and talents. Just ask the USO. For more than seventy years, the organization brought America’s best talent to the troops. No star shined brighter than Robin Williams.  “He will always be a part of our USO family and will be sorely missed,” read a statement posted on the USO Facebook page after the announcement of the actor’s death yesterday.

After 9/11, Williams toured with the USO a half-dozen times, visiting 13 countries including Iraq and Afghanistan. During one memorable performance overseas, he started the show early and had to stop when retreat was sounded. All the troops snapped to attention. Robins quipped, “I am not going to forget that. I’ve never had an entire audience say forget you.”

Williams’ philanthropy extended beyond performing. He supported causes that helped wounded warriors as well.

No one puts the uniform in the hopes one day that they will get to meet Bob Hope, rock with Gary Sinise, or cut-up with Robin Williams.  They serve because their nation needs them.

Our troops don’t demand accolades or recognition. But, when some stands up and says thank you, whether it’s a famous actor on a stage or a stranger at the airport, they are deeply touched.

By the Department of Defense estimates, Williams performed in front of 90,000 service members. Today, all 22 million who wore the uniform and the over two million in uniform currently, join together in remembering one man.

http://dailysignal.com/print/?post_id=153787
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:31:11 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline musiclady

Re: Robin Williams Never Forgot America’s Real Heroes
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2014, 03:38:38 pm »
He will be missed.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline flowers

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2014, 03:45:12 pm »
"He arrived in our lives as an alien — but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit," the president said

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robin-williams-dead-obama-remembers-724783

resident Barack Obama remembered the legacy of comedian Robin Williams.

"Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan, and everything in between. But he was one of a kind," Obama said in a statement released Monday, referencing many of Williams' well-known roles in movies such as Aladdin, Good Will Hunting and Mork & Mindy. "He arrived in our lives as an alien — but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit.

"He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most — from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalized on our own streets," Obama continued. "The Obama family offers our condolences to Robin's family, his friends and everyone who found their voice and their verse thanks to Robin Williams."

Williams died at 63 on Aug. 11 from a suspected suicide in Tiburon, Calif., according to police in Marin County, Calif. The actor, a four-time Oscar nominee who won an Academy Award for 1997's Good Will Hunting, had "been battling severe depression of late," his publicist told The Hollywood Reporter. "This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time."

He most recently starred in CBS' comedy The Crazy Ones, which lasted just one season. He was nominated for a People's Choice Award for his role as an advertising executive on the comedy, in which Sarah Michelle Gellar played his daughter.

Hollywood colleagues and friends are mourning the death of Williams, including Gellar, Happy Days' Henry Winkler, Danny DeVito, Jimmy Kimmel and License to Wed co-star John Krasinsk

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 04:06:38 pm »
"He arrived in our lives as an alien — but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit."
So he and Barry had that alien thingey in common.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2014, 04:37:27 pm »
Some jaded remarks tonite.
The way this country's going, it's kind of hard not to be jaded. But yes, I agree.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2014, 05:09:45 pm »
I am not cynical enough to miss the despair and loneliness that a suicidal person must feel. Their thoughts and emotions are profoundly different than most other "normal" people.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck