Author Topic: These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America  (Read 5158 times)

Offline GourmetDan

Re: These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 04:45:33 pm »
The political conversations I see on FoxNews differ greatly from those on NBC.  If the media are all controlled by some small group, that small group isn't thinking as a team.  And as others have pointed out, the print media is quickly falling from any reasonable position of influence in favor of a 24/7 internet.

Perhaps your definition of 'controlled' requires something so obvious that it would inherently diminish it's value as propaganda?

As for amnesty, almost every poll shows that most Americans want both a secure border and some type of legalization for those already here.  Of course some will suggest that all the polls are also controlled and manipulated (by the same small group?), but there just isn't enough tin-foil to go around.

So, it is your position that media doesn't influence polls?

Wake up, dude...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 04:48:15 pm »
The political conversations I see on FoxNews differ greatly from those on NBC.  If the media are all controlled by some small group, that small group isn't thinking as a team.  And as others have pointed out, the print media is quickly falling from any reasonable position of influence in favor of a 24/7 internet.

As for amnesty, almost every poll shows that most Americans want both a secure border and some type of legalization for those already here.  Of course some will suggest that all the polls are also controlled and manipulated (by the same small group?), but there just isn't enough tin-foil to go around.

No tinfoil needed.  We've all been played for decades, it is just a matter as to how many start waking up, and when.

(Seriously, the fact that you (and you aren't alone by any means, and I am not criticizing you personally, just responding to your post), immediately reach for the "tinfoil" comments is just an example at how effective the programming has been.  Something doesn't make you comfortable??  Ahh, it must be those tinfoil hatters again!!  It is just another Normalcy Bias symptom that's been manipulated and honed to near perfection.)

There is rarely much truth on Fox News, it is just the vehicle for the 'right' side of the establishment to get their talking points out to the masses.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:49:11 pm by katzenjammer »

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 05:08:55 pm »
Perhaps your definition of 'controlled' requires something so obvious that it would inherently diminish it's value as propaganda?

So, it is your position that media doesn't influence polls?

Wake up, dude...

The point that I am making is that there's a hell of a lot of divergent opinions on whatever type of media outlet you want to name.  The media influences period.  It's why President Adams tried to shut it up, as did Wilson.  But to suggest that most of us are just automatons while the few of you smart 'dudes' know the whole story is just silly.

On the internet I read everything from RightWingNews to the North Korean News.  I'll go through Drudge and Russia Today.  I occasionally look over CPUSA and it's partner, People's World.

But back to your point about most Americans not wanting "amnesty" (whatever that means).  What, other than polls, is your source?  You don't believe in the media or in polls, so I'm curious where you are getting all of this information you base all of your decisions on? 
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 05:18:01 pm »
The point that I am making is that there's a hell of a lot of divergent opinions on whatever type of media outlet you want to name.  The media influences period.  It's why President Adams tried to shut it up, as did Wilson.  But to suggest that most of us are just automatons while the few of you smart 'dudes' know the whole story is just silly.

Didn't suggest that most of you are automatons or that I know the whole story.

On the internet I read everything from RightWingNews to the North Korean News.  I'll go through Drudge and Russia Today.  I occasionally look over CPUSA and it's partner, People's World.

But back to your point about most Americans not wanting "amnesty" (whatever that means).  What, other than polls, is your source?  You don't believe in the media or in polls, so I'm curious where you are getting all of this information you base all of your decisions on?

The fact that media influences polls doesn't mean you can't get information from polls.

Perhaps you should spend more time thinking and less time reading...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 05:22:15 pm »
No tinfoil needed.  We've all been played for decades, it is just a matter as to how many start waking up, and when.

(Seriously, the fact that you (and you aren't alone by any means, and I am not criticizing you personally, just responding to your post), immediately reach for the "tinfoil" comments is just an example at how effective the programming has been.  Something doesn't make you comfortable??  Ahh, it must be those tinfoil hatters again!!  It is just another Normalcy Bias symptom that's been manipulated and honed to near perfection.)

There is rarely much truth on Fox News, it is just the vehicle for the 'right' side of the establishment to get their talking points out to the masses.

That last sentence is my point.  There is plenty of "news" (however you want to define it) from whatever side of the aisle one is on.  And there's plenty of other options to get divergent views.  I rarely use the term "tinfoil" so if that bothers you, my apologies.  But regardless of the accuracy of any particular network or other media outlet about any piece of news or opinion, people have choices.  We are influenced, but hardly controlled by this "Group of 6".  The information is out there, and if we choose to ignore it, it's not the fault of any media corporation.  Someone earlier referred to the downing of the 777, by suggesting we are being lied to by the entire Western media and governments, and that Ukraine is likely the perp.  So where did his opinion come from...but from some media source.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 05:28:48 pm »
The fact that media influences polls doesn't mean you can't get information from polls.

Which was my point about immigration.

Perhaps you should spend more time thinking and less time reading...

Well, there are just so few who can reach a valid reasoned opinion without information to base it on.  I'm in awe of such ability.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 05:30:26 pm »

That last sentence is my point.  There is plenty of "news" (however you want to define it) from whatever side of the aisle one is on.  And there's plenty of other options to get divergent views.  I rarely use the term "tinfoil" so if that bothers you, my apologies.  But regardless of the accuracy of any particular network or other media outlet about any piece of news or opinion, people have choices.  We are influenced, but hardly controlled by this "Group of 6".  The information is out there, and if we choose to ignore it, it's not the fault of any media corporation.  Someone earlier referred to the downing of the 777, by suggesting we are being lied to by the entire Western media and governments, and that Ukraine is likely the perp.  So where did his opinion come from...but from some media source.

Don't know about katz, but my point is that people don't have as many 'choices' as they think they do.  You may believe you have 'plenty of options' when in fact you do not.  Aberrant opinions are labeled 'tin foil hat' and you are actually only presented with a limited number of options by the 'group of 6'.

Choosing to accept any source as being more trustworthy than any other is simply the starting-point of self-deception...

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 05:34:15 pm »
Which was my point about immigration.

Except that you can find polls that say just the opposite.  Then what?

Well, there are just so few who can reach a valid reasoned opinion without information to base it on.  I'm in awe of such ability.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 05:37:55 pm »

"tinfoil" doesn't bother me personally, MAC, so no apology needed (but certainly appreciated!).  I just recoil a bit when I see it thrown around by so many (not you) as a knee jerk reaction to anything that they find too "uncomfortable."

I agree that there is still a fair amount of information out there if one chooses to dig for it.  But, as I tried to make the point earlier in the thread, people like yourself, myself, and most of us here, aren't typical.  We are still oddities in that we make it a point to spend a fair amount of time looking for information (and as Dan mentioned above, actually thinking about it).  The vast majority of people in this country are very different, they get some headlines and talking points on the radio and/or TV and may glance at the front page or two of the newspaper on occasion (which are definitely controlled by this "big 6").  (Like I said above, they don't have to search real hard to find the ignorant dolts that you see on the "man on the street" interviews.)

And don't let the user/visitor stats of things like Youtube, Twitter, or Facebook paint too much of an encouraging picture -- a LOT of that traffic is watching cute cats, commenting endlessly on pop culture crap, or letting everyone (that cares!) know about their last vacay....

Offline aligncare

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 05:54:43 pm »

Well there's your problem, right there. Just joking. ^-^

Offline aligncare

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 05:58:33 pm »
"tinfoil" doesn't bother me personally, MAC, so no apology needed (but certainly appreciated!).  I just recoil a bit when I see it thrown around by so many (not you) as a knee jerk reaction to anything that they find too "uncomfortable."

I agree that there is still a fair amount of information out there if one chooses to dig for it.  But, as I tried to make the point earlier in the thread, people like yourself, myself, and most of us here, aren't typical.  We are still oddities in that we make it a point to spend a fair amount of time looking for information (and as Dan mentioned above, actually thinking about it).  The vast majority of people in this country are very different, they get some headlines and talking points on the radio and/or TV and may glance at the front page or two of the newspaper on occasion (which are definitely controlled by this "big 6").  (Like I said above, they don't have to search real hard to find the ignorant dolts that you see on the "man on the street" interviews.)

And don't let the user/visitor stats of things like Youtube, Twitter, or Facebook paint too much of an encouraging picture -- a LOT of that traffic is watching cute cats, commenting endlessly on pop culture crap, or letting everyone (that cares!) know about their last vacay....

I'm with you on this. Very few people keep abreast of current events, much less the truth behind the headlines.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 06:03:40 pm »
Don't know about katz, but my point is that people don't have as many 'choices' as they think they do.  You may believe you have 'plenty of options' when in fact you do not.  Aberrant opinions are labeled 'tin foil hat' and you are actually only presented with a limited number of options by the 'group of 6'.

Choosing to accept any source as being more trustworthy than any other is simply the starting-point of self-deception...

So why are your choices and opinions any better or more intelligent and reasoned than us dumbed-down idiots on any given issue?  Perhaps you start with the assumption that any piece of news out of the western media must be wrong, so your choices are then simple?  Maybe North Korea really is a paradise and we've been lied to all these years... 

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 06:15:07 pm »
So why are your choices and opinions any better or more intelligent and reasoned than us dumbed-down idiots on any given issue?  Perhaps you start with the assumption that any piece of news out of the western media must be wrong, so your choices are then simple?  Maybe North Korea really is a paradise and we've been lied to all these years...

Are you referring to my opinion that people don't have as many choices as they think they do and my decision to view the western-msm's failure to even trying to refute alternate claims with suspicion?

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 08:00:54 pm »
Are you referring to my opinion that people don't have as many choices as they think they do and my decision to view the western-msm's failure to even trying to refute alternate claims with suspicion?

Well...no.  I was referring to the fact that you have reached a number of conclusions about a number of issues including Ukrainian culpability, immigration, and others, apparently from sources other than the western media.  You say we don't have the choices we think we do, and when I list just a few from across the board, you say I should read less and think more.  I'm trying to think through that logic...and it's tough.  :pondering:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 08:05:17 pm »
Well...no.  I was referring to the fact that you have reached a number of conclusions about a number of issues including Ukrainian culpability, immigration, and others, apparently from sources other than the western media.  You say we don't have the choices we think we do, and when I list just a few from across the board, you say I should read less and think more.  I'm trying to think through that logic...and it's tough.  :pondering:

Maybe the 'fact' is that I haven't reached the number of conclusion from sources other than western-msm that you think I have.

Just because you reach conclusions from western media sources doesn't mean that I do the same from non-western sources...

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:06:34 pm by GourmetDan »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 08:30:32 pm »
Now....if that ATC guy happens to have an accident, we'll have our answer.

You've already had one tweeting who subsequently 'disappeared'...

Carlos Spanish Kiev Air Traffic Controller Real. All His Tweets day of MH 17 shot down.

OK, moved it...

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:35:23 pm by GourmetDan »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 08:32:20 pm »
You've already had one tweeting who subsequently 'disappeared'...

Carlos Spanish Kiev Air Traffic Controller Real. All His Tweets day of MH 17 shot down.

Sorry that I posted my reply on the wrong thread.  LOL    Can't keep up with you guys.  I reposted it in the proper thread.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 12:11:20 am »
Maybe the 'fact' is that I haven't reached the number of conclusion from sources other than western-msm that you think I have.

Just because you reach conclusions from western media sources doesn't mean that I do the same from non-western sources...

Well okay.  I'm just not sure, other than western media and non-western media what sources you may have used for your various conclusions.  If you'd care to share, I'm anxious to see them. 

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2014, 12:56:15 am »
Is there anything to be done about these overreaching corporations or do we allow them to manipulate the media and control the flow of information indefinitely?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2014, 01:23:28 pm »
Well okay.  I'm just not sure, other than western media and non-western media what sources you may have used for your various conclusions.  If you'd care to share, I'm anxious to see them.

I find it interesting that you get stuck on the position that someone can only reach a conclusion if a source provides it.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2014, 01:35:29 pm »
I find it interesting that you get stuck on the position that someone can only reach a conclusion if a source provides it.

Not at all, but you have to admit that a conclusion reached without the benefit of any source of information can be at least questioned.  But let's not get hung up on this.  You've made your point about the intelligence level of some of us here, so I'll give you that. 

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2014, 01:50:25 pm »
Not at all, but you have to admit that a conclusion reached without the benefit of any source of information can be at least questioned.  But let's not get hung up on this.  You've made your point about the intelligence level of some of us here, so I'll give you that.

Now you're changing the position but at least you are correctly stating it...

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2014, 01:52:58 pm »

I can't speak for Dan, but I will just say this.  Intelligence has very little to do with it, in my opinion.  It has more to do with a willingness to accept the reality of things, regardless of how extremely uncomfortable it may make one.  The famous Rand quote always come to mind:

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

It is something that we all struggle with at times, it is a part of human nature.  But it hinders us, prevents us from facing things as they are, and forces us to cling to that "which we want to be true."  And on many of the topics that we discuss here, there is a very strong tendency for all of us to want to see, and hold on to, any "solution" that promises the least amount of pain and dislocation.  But the rub is, that no matter how much we wish to cling to these hopes, reality keeps marching along.

Just my two cents!!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2014, 02:02:23 pm »
I can't speak for Dan, but I will just say this.  Intelligence has very little to do with it, in my opinion.  It has more to do with a willingness to accept the reality of things, regardless of how extremely uncomfortable it may make one.  The famous Rand quote always come to mind:

It is something that we all struggle with at times, it is a part of human nature.  But it hinders us, prevents us from facing things as they are, and forces us to cling to that "which we want to be true."  And on many of the topics that we discuss here, there is a very strong tendency for all of us to want to see, and hold on to, any "solution" that promises the least amount of pain and dislocation.  But the rub is, that no matter how much we wish to cling to these hopes, reality keeps marching along.

You said it well katz.  I figured that it was obvious what my point has been.

Misrepresenting my motive is much easier than admitting to individually-held paradigms...

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2014, 02:14:37 pm »
Have to say that back when Obama was 1st elected in 2008,  I claimed our very nation and fabric were going to be shredded and we were going down the primrose path ala 1930's Germany.

People I highly respect in here tried to assure me that "This too shall pass" and that the beauty of the way our Republic was setup by the Founders guaranteed we'd, "...get through it."

Now...almost 6 years later, my feeling is that putting faith in a 'silver bullet' to ensure we maintain co-equal branch integrity, seems naive at best.

Not scared anymore for myself.   Feel I'm privileged and lucky to be alive at this time in our nation's history.

But being concerned for my children and grandchildren is another matter.  'Perilous' seems appropriate.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald