General Category > National/Breaking News

Native American Group Files Lawsuit Demanding Cleveland Indians Change Name, Mascot

<< < (2/3) > >>

musiclady:
The Cleveland Spiders' name was changed to the Cleveland Indians because a brilliant player named Louis Sockalexis was the first self-proclaimed Native American to play baseball.

The name is more than a century old, and there's no way it's going to change because of 5 gripers.

The name is an HONOR to Native Americans.

musiclady:

--- Quote from: Carling on June 25, 2014, 10:27:01 pm ---Truth be told, their mascot does have a bit of a "Sambo" vibe to it.

--- End quote ---

I have long thought that it would be best to get rid of Chief Wahoo.

That could be done without changing the name.

Go TRIBE!   ^-^

Carling:

--- Quote from: musiclady on June 25, 2014, 10:39:25 pm ---I have long thought that it would be best to get rid of Chief Wahoo.

That could be done without changing the name.

Go TRIBE!   ^-^

--- End quote ---

I have no problem with the name Indians, but yes, that caricature is just silly, and could easily be changed to something that honors Indians. 

Can you imagine a team called the Long Island Jews, and with this logo?   :pondering:

Scottftlc:
I want a lawsuit against Centenary College (La), their team is named "Gentlemen" and as I am no gentleman, I am offended.

musiclady:

--- Quote from: Carling on June 25, 2014, 10:54:33 pm ---I have no problem with the name Indians, but yes, that caricature is just silly, and could easily be changed to something that honors Indians. 

Can you imagine a team called the Long Island Jews, and with this logo?   :pondering:

--- End quote ---

Hmmmm.............interesting parallel, and equally inappropriate, methinks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version