Exclusive Content > Editorials

Rommel's Apogee

<< < (2/2)

GourmetDan:

--- Quote from: Chieftain on June 20, 2014, 09:14:57 pm ---
They used to finance new weapons projects for the Kaiser by selling lots of lesser grade gear to the Ottomans who had a real need for heavy guns to put down the many Arab uprisings in the Levant over the Centuries....

--- End quote ---

Moslem uprisings by chance?

SPQR:

--- Quote from: Chieftain on June 20, 2014, 09:14:57 pm ---Have you read William Manchester's excellent "The Arms of Krupp: The Rise and Fall of the Industrial Dynasty That Armed Germany at War"??  Manchester is one of my favorite authors, and he traces House Krupp from the 1400's up through the end of the Dynasty in the 1960's.  It's a great read and it is impressive how much scientific research went into weapons development by Krupp.  They used to finance new weapons projects for the Kaiser by selling lots of lesser grade gear to the Ottomans who had a real need for heavy guns to put down the many Arab uprisings in the Levant over the Centuries....

--- End quote ---

Now that you mention it I have to buy the book. Krupp is no doubt the best artillery maker in all of history. But what tarnished their name was the use of slave labor during the Second World War.

Chieftain:

--- Quote from: Trigger on June 20, 2014, 09:29:54 pm ---Now that you mention it I have to buy the book. Krupp is no doubt the best artillery maker in all of history. But what tarnished their name was the use of slave labor during the Second World War.

--- End quote ---

That is certainly true, but there were quite a number of odd Krupps affiliated with the First and Second Reichs as well, and some of the senior military officers surrounding the Kaiser, all friends and associates of several generations of the Krupps, had a taste for....well....some odd amusements at formal dinner gatherings...one showing up in a formal ballet tutu, performing an elaborate interpretive dance for his colleagues, and then dropping dead of a massive coronary immediately afterward right in front of his Kaiser.  One of the actual Krupp sons was busted for his taste for partying with underaged boys on the beaches of Capri....

Interesting family.....

:beer:

SPQR:

--- Quote from: Chieftain on June 20, 2014, 09:53:32 pm ---That is certainly true, but there were quite a number of odd Krupps affiliated with the First and Second Reichs as well, and some of the senior military officers surrounding the Kaiser, all friends and associates of several generations of the Krupps, had a taste for....well....some odd amusements at formal dinner gatherings...one showing up in a formal ballet tutu, performing an elaborate interpretive dance for his colleagues, and then dropping dead of a massive coronary immediately afterward right in front of his Kaiser.  One of the actual Krupp sons was busted for his taste for partying with underaged boys on the beaches of Capri....

Interesting family.....

:beer:

--- End quote ---

I certainly agree.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version