Author Topic: Hillary's secret weapon? Praise from Republican lawmakers  (Read 4144 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Hillary's secret weapon? Praise from Republican lawmakers
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2014, 05:05:06 am »
I was a registered dim in MD for most of the time I was there. If you can't vote in the dim primaries, you don't have much to say about who is elected. Of course, I always voted GOP in the general election, but there never was a primary challenge for that party's nomination. I changed to GOP when it looked like Bush could win the presidency, and stayed that way when Ehrlich had a chance to become gov. I wouldn't fault anyone for registering dim in that state, although it does sound to me like Lollar has a chance to win, and I'd certainly like it if he did.

There wouldn't be an ICC (Inter-County Connector) if it wasn't for Ehrlich.  And the Dems made it a toll road with a ridiculously low speed limit. And it's patrolled by some police agency that only works the toll roads.   LOL!

They are making a fortune from all these traffic cameras.  Now it's pedestrian crosswalk encroachment...or a rolling stop on a red signal.

It's virtually EVERY intersection where a signal exists.  Then there's the roadside cameras.

In the meantime, the freaking cops are 200 yards down the road with their radar guns.   A double lane road with an unnecessary 35 mph speed limit.

I thought to myself, if I was walking with my toddler, I'd stop and say, "See that police officer?   He's an a$$ hole!"   

Loud enough so he could hear me.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2014, 02:06:06 pm »
I'm in Maryland.

Seriously thinking of changing my voter registration to Democrat.

You never know....it could buy me six more months of medical treatment.   No snark intended.

That's the spirit! Quit!

That will work EVERY time! Snark intended!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2014, 02:59:19 pm »
That's the spirit! Quit!

That will work EVERY time! Snark intended!

Registering as one and voting as one are two separate things.

....but you knew that, didn't you?   LOL!

Just figuring that the first group they'll come for in the middle of the night are the Conservative Republicans.  The 'enemy'.

Why make it easy for them?   Sheesh!   :chairbang:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2014, 03:12:43 pm »
Registering as one and voting as one are two separate things.

....but you knew that, didn't you?   LOL!

Just figuring that the first group they'll come for in the middle of the night are the Conservative Republicans.  The 'enemy'.

Why make it easy for them?   Sheesh!   :chairbang:

I think I'm on so many "bad" lists that my party registration will not be the only reason they come for me in the night.  All of us here, I figure are already on some kind of list, don't you think?  On keywords alone, I'm screwed. 

13859 13859 13859

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2014, 03:17:43 pm »
I think I'm on so many "bad" lists that my party registration will not be the only reason they come for me in the night.  All of us here, I figure are already on some kind of list, don't you think?  On keywords alone, I'm screwed. 

13859 13859 13859

Actually I know very little about party registration as we don't do that here! When you vote in a primary your voter registration card is stamped with Rep or Dem and you cannot then vote in any run off elections of the other party but that's it!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2014, 03:53:06 pm »
Actually I know very little about party registration as we don't do that here! When you vote in a primary your voter registration card is stamped with Rep or Dem and you cannot then vote in any run off elections of the other party but that's it!

That's interesting.  Here - you have to "declare" yourself by registering as either a "D" or an "R" - if you want to be able to vote in the primary.  If your register as anything else, you can't vote until fall.  I don't think that's right, it leaves the power in the hands of the two parties and Independents, Libertarians and other groups can't have a voice. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2014, 04:09:55 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline evadR

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2014, 05:45:55 pm »
"I don't think that's right, it leaves the power in the hands of the two parties and Independents, Libertarians and other groups can't have a voice."

What's wrong with that? This exactly how I feel it should be.

It not that the libs or the indies can't have their own candidate, it's that they don't have a say in the RAT or Pubbie candidate.
And I certainly wouldn't want an open primary like some states where rats can vote for the pubbie and totally pollute the entire process.

If you're a rat, you can vote for a rat.
If you're a pub, you can vote for a pub.
If you don't want to commit to either party, tough shiiitesky.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2014, 06:08:47 pm »
That's interesting.  Here - you have to "declare" yourself by registering as either a "D" or an "R" - if you want to be able to vote in the primary.  If your register as anything else, you can't vote until fall.  I don't think that's right, it leaves the power in the hands of the two parties and Independents, Libertarians and other groups can't have a voice.
In California you can ONLY vote in a party's primary if you are registered with the party, or if you are Undeclared.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline speekinout

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2014, 08:34:58 pm »
"I don't think that's right, it leaves the power in the hands of the two parties and Independents, Libertarians and other groups can't have a voice."

What's wrong with that? This exactly how I feel it should be.

It not that the libs or the indies can't have their own candidate, it's that they don't have a say in the RAT or Pubbie candidate.
And I certainly wouldn't want an open primary like some states where rats can vote for the pubbie and totally pollute the entire process.

If you're a rat, you can vote for a rat.
If you're a pub, you can vote for a pub.
If you don't want to commit to either party, tough shiiitesky.

There are one party states - like MD. The election is settled in the dim primary. If the rules were as you suggest, then GOPers, Libertarians, etc. could never have any say in who gets elected. Everyone should be able to vote.
I think probably the fairest idea is the one where the states have an open primary, and the two top voters run in the general election. That way, everyone gets to choose.
Any system that limits peoples' ability to vote is not good.