Author Topic: Washington's Farewell Address and some thoughts this Memorial Day.  (Read 5178 times)

rangerrebew

Washington’s Farewell used to be taught in schools in American but can never again be taught by schools run by progressives.  In it he laid out the challenges to America and cautioned against the very things we find today.  I have selected a few paragraphs which, to me, present a few things we should have never abandoned if we wanted to remain free.  Obviously, they run counter to what so many people falsely believe and have been indoctrinated to believe.

9 The unity of Government, which constitutes you one people, is also now dear to you. It is justly so; for it is a main pillar in the edifice of your real independence, the support of your tranquility at home, your peace abroad; of your safety; of your prosperity; of that very Liberty, which you so highly prize. But as it is easy to foresee, that, from different causes and from different quarters, much pains will be taken, many artifices employed, to weaken in your minds the conviction of this truth; as this is the point in your political fortress against which the batteries of internal and external enemies will be most constantly and actively (though often covertly and insidiously) directed, it is of infinite moment, that you should properly estimate the immense value of your national Union to your collective and individual happiness; that you should cherish a cordial, habitual, and immovable attachment to it; accustoming yourselves to think and speak of it as of the Palladium of your political safety and prosperity; watching for its preservation with jealous anxiety; discountenancing whatever may suggest even a suspicion, that it can in any event be abandoned; and indignantly frowning upon the first dawning of every attempt to alienate any portion of our country from the rest, or to enfeeble the sacred ties which now link together the various parts.

17 All obstructions to the execution of the Laws, all combinations and associations, under whatever plausible character, with the real design to direct, control, counteract, or awe the regular deliberation and action of the constituted authorities, are destructive of this fundamental principle, and of fatal tendency. They serve to organize faction, to give it an artificial and extraordinary force; to put, in the place of the delegated will of the nation, the will of a party, often a small but artful and enterprising minority of the community; and, according to the alternate triumphs of different parties, to make the public administration the mirror of the ill-concerted and incongruous projects of faction, rather than the organ of consistent and wholesome plans digested by common counsels, and modified by mutual interests.

18 However combinations or associations of the above description may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely, in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people, and to usurp for themselves the reins of government; destroying afterwards the very engines, which have lifted them to unjust dominion.

27 Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked, Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths, which are the instruments of investigation in Courts of Justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

As I have driven around this Memorial Day weekend, I can’t help but think back to September, 2001.  The World Trade Centers had been destroyed by terrorists.  America was the victim and Islam the perpetrator.  Flags flew from buildings, homes, and motor vehicles.  Troops were heroes once more; people and businesses went out of their way to honor them.  Pets had patriotic bandanas and collars.  Children decorated their bikes with patriotic fervor and participated in parades.  Patriotism flowed from every place people existed.  People demanded that the perpetrators be caught and punished; their organizations destroyed.  The country was unified.

As I have driven this weekend, I have noticed few houses with American Flags proudly displayed.  My car is the only one I have seen that has a flag flying.  Today, America is considered the perpetrator to so many on the left and Islam the victim.  Where my wife and I have worn patriotic clothes, the same cannot be said for the vast majority of others.

That FACTION, called progressives, have managed to indoctrinate children in the schools, on TV, and in books to believe America has always been the aggressor and people everywhere on the planet the victim of its aggression.  They have done it through the schools and on TV.  Young adults, eschew hard work and patriotism in favor of their hedonistic pursuits.  We have as President an anti-American, anti-Constitution, anti-military, anti-Christian, pro-Islamic man.

He has called the military baby killers, Nazis, terrorists, but refuses to call Islamist killers the same names.  He is in the process of destroying America by destroying the military and putting in the place of legal authority, government authority.  Where we once had as allies most of Europe, today they are abandoning American in favor of China and Russia.  We have a government which no longer resembles anything the framers of our country had in mind.  We have a legal system that ignores laws they don’t like and makes laws to coincide with their personal agendas.  We have a national police force being surreptitiously built by the administration which the president has said will be as well armed as the military.  Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, even freedom of thought are under attack from the left.  If people are not to be demonized by the left, they must only think and act as the left believes.  The news media has become the propaganda wing of the administration.  They support all liberal causes, demean anything to do with conservative thought, report only things supporting the progressive agenda while ignoring events opposed to it.
We are becoming, as a nation, divided by ideology, race, sex, age, national origin, political beliefs, accusations of wealth discrimination, etc.  Remember what Washington said about this?  “The unity of Government, which constitutes you one people” is no longer the model of America.  ONE PEOPLE!!  Our national motto:  E Pluribus Unum - FROM MANY ONE.  We have, today, been brainwashed into believing diversity, from the root word divide, is what this country should be.  Ask any professional athlete what wins championships – unity or division – and you will rarely hear, or see, a divided team as a winner.

I could go on many more pages but I have given my thoughts this Memorial Day.  My wife and I watched a Memorial Day concert from Washington D.C. and the event evoked strong feeling of pride in American and the people who have made it great.  One sad picture was of Harry Reid at the concert as if pride in America meant something to him.  All we can do is continue to educate ourselves and others on the greatness of America, learn what the founding documents actually said as opposed to what some talking head has to say.  We can continue to challenge the falsehoods and lies progressives want people to believe.  We can continue to try and educate others wherever we can.  And we can hope and pray this will not be one of the last Memorial Day celebrations in America.

Offline Skull

Re: some thoughts this Memorial Day.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 04:26:58 pm »
President Trump's message for 2021 - recalling our fallen warriors:

On this Memorial Day, we remember the fallen heroes who took their last breaths in defense of our Nation, our families, our citizens, and our sacred freedoms. The depth of their devotion, the steel of their resolve, and the purity of their patriotism has no equal in human history. On distant battlefields, in far-off oceans, and high in the skies above, they faced down our enemies and gave their lives so that America would prevail. They made the supreme sacrifice so that our people can live in safety and our Nation can thrive in peace. It is because of their gallantry that we can together, as one people, continue our pursuit of America’s glorious destiny.

We owe all that we are, and everything we ever hope to be, to these unrivaled heroes. Their memory and their legacy is immortal. Our loyalty to them and to their families is eternal and everlasting.

America’s warriors are the single greatest force for justice, peace, liberty, and security among all the nations ever to exist on earth. God bless our fallen Soldiers, Sailors, Coast Guardsmen, Airmen, and Marines. We honor them today, forever, and always.
Truth is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha