Author Topic: Mitch McConnell Defeats Tea Party Challenger Matt Bevin  (Read 3641 times)

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Mitch McConnell Defeats Tea Party Challenger Matt Bevin
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2014, 01:15:03 pm »
The TEA party has never been so much about winning elections as it is about moving the Republican party rightward and that they are doing!

36% of the vote going to the Tea Party candidate vs McConnell is pretty good, IMO...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2014, 01:17:43 pm »
36% of the vote going to the Tea Party candidate vs McConnell is pretty good, IMO...

Pretty good tug for sure!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2014, 01:20:46 pm »
And also - you said Bevins thought it was "just dandy to watch two roosters rip each other to shreds with razors".  I'll ask again - can you provide a link to that?  I bet that you cannot, because Bevin never expressed such an opinion.   

The only way to stop gamecocks from killing each other is to eliminate the breed entirely.

They will fight each other to the death even when separated by a wire fence...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2014, 01:23:54 pm »

Yeah....but once McConnell is THE candidate, a 'personal grudge' should be tossed in the can.  The object is to not require another "Scott Brown" in the Senate.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2014, 01:37:17 pm »
Yeah....but once McConnell is THE candidate, a 'personal grudge' should be tossed in the can.  The object is to not require another "Scott Brown" in the Senate.

Actually, it's for each voter to decide whether they want to vote for the lesser of two evils...

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2014, 01:51:15 pm »
Actually, it's for each voter to decide whether they want to vote for the lesser of two evils...

Once Kentuckians get a good dose of that bug-eyed fool running against Mitch, it will be no contest.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2014, 02:06:19 pm »

Not only that - but in Kentucky, you cannot vote in the primary unless you are a REGISTERED Republican or Democrat!  It's the ONLY reason I have not taken my name off of the Republican party list - so that I can vote in the primary.  My brother got mad at the GOP and changed his registration to Independent.  He found out that he can't even vote for Sheriff anymore because he's not in the two-party monopoly in the state.

The point I'm getting at - is that there is a whole pile of people that LEFT the GOP, and maybe the Democrat party too - disgusted with them!  THESE people were not allowed to vote yesterday in Ky.  How many of these people are going to go out of their way to vote for McConnell this fall? 

I'll say it again, getting more than one out of three Republican voters yesterday was pretty damned good for a political newcomer who is fighting the well-entrenched establishment system.  It's a start, and it's a damn-good start!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2014, 02:07:43 pm »
Once Kentuckians get a good dose of that bug-eyed fool running against Mitch, it will be no contest.

Her signs are popping up EVERYWHERE around here - overnight!

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2014, 02:15:25 pm »
Also, Kentucky - even though it went strongly against Obama (Obama hates coal - coal IS Kentucky) - Kentucky is a strongly Democrat state.  Local politics almost always go in favor of the Dems.  In fact, the general wisdom in my county is that even if you are a Republican - you RUN on the Democrat ticket, or you don't have a chance to win!  We are outnumbered 6 to 1 in my county.  That is why we usually have Democrat Governors too.

Why do we have two Republican Senators?   :shrug:

When it comes to state and local matters - we like our good old boys.  When it comes to the FEDS - we don't trust 'em!  Maybe it's a throwback to those "Revenuers", the ones that busted all the liquor stills.

The Democrats have Ky in the cross-hairs, they see weakness in McConnell and smell blood in the water.  They are going to dump huge resources here to try to get the Senate back in control.  I don't think that you GOPe lovers should get too cocky just yet - it could backfire and I expect a lot of cheating to happen too.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2014, 02:38:46 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/04/05/Glenn-Beck-Matt-Bevin-Called-of-God?

Looks like God takes Tuesdays off.

Nope.  Anyone that knows God knows that the Sabbath is his day of rest.  Also, anyone that knows God knows that he will not be mocked!

Oh, you're mocking Glenn Beck - not God - right?  Because Beck called Bevin a "Man of God"?  Right?  And because Bevin lost - God must have taken the day off, right?  LOL!!!  You made a funny joke!  So clever, you killed two birds with one joke on that one - Beck and Bevin!  You're so funny.   

I happen to think Matt Bevin is a good Christian man - a man of God.  I'll tell you something else - I remember when McCain was running against Obama, a group of us on Free Republic started a prayer network, where we each agreed to take a certain 30 minute time slot of dedicated prayers for John McCain.  Mind you, I HATE John McCain, but for me - it was prayers for the future of my country.

I did that and was blown away at what I gained spiritually by doing that.  I absolutely felt that my prayers connected to God and I actually FELT his presence while I was doing it - STRONGLY!  I believe it was because there were many of us doing it at the same time and non-stop in a network.

Well, as everyone knows - McCain lost.  Does that mean that God let us down?  That he didn't hear our prayers?  That we were not "Men and Women of God"?  A lot of snarky people would say just that.

But no, it was revealed to me that Obama winning was part of the greater plan, and of God's will.  This is something that must be played out in order for God's plan to be instituted.  What I came to realize through my earnest prayers was that I was praying for God's will to be done (thinking Obama losing was God's will), now I know that the prayers helped me to accept God's will.  And I do. 

America has brought herself to this point, she has turned her back on God and he will NOT be mocked and he will turn his back on us at a certain point.  I believe we have reached that point where the cycle has got to finish itself.  I don't think we can stop it now.  It will get bad, very bad for us before it will start to turn around. 

Does that mean we should just stop praying and give up?  Nope.  We still need to be warriors for God, we still need to live everyday like we're going to live 100 years and we still need - ESPECIALLY now - to stay strong in our desire to discern and do God's will.  Now, more than ever!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2014, 02:44:01 pm »
No disrespect intended here, but what you did was to find justification and 'meaning' in your futile efforts.

Another take on "making lemonade from lemons", IMO.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2014, 02:44:36 pm »
Have you ever seen a cockfight?

Nope.  And I never will.  Don't like it - I love all animals, why would I want to watch them fight to the death?  I didn't even like to watch Wild Kingdom when I was a kid for that very reason.  But, in nature - fighting cocks will do just that - fight to the death.  That there are people that like to raise fighting cocks like "thoroughbreds" and bet a lot of money cheering them on - is distasteful to me. 

But don't try to "red herring" me into a debate on cockfighting.  It won't work with me.  The point at issue was that Sinkspur made some remarks that turned out not to be true - not that I was defending cockfighting.   :seeya:

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2014, 02:57:28 pm »
No disrespect intended here, but what you did was to find justification and 'meaning' in your futile efforts.

Another take on "making lemonade from lemons", IMO.

I'm not clear on your remark DC - was it directed at me?  If it was, yeah - making lemonade out of lemons - is what I do!  Remember, I'm the eternal dreamer - the optimist!  I'll always pull something positive out of bad things.  It makes me feel better and able to see the bigger picture - here's another one - it's always darkest before the dawn!

I love lemonade and I love sunrises.   :beer:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2014, 03:28:00 pm »
Nope.  And I never will.  Don't like it - I love all animals, why would I want to watch them fight to the death?  I didn't even like to watch Wild Kingdom when I was a kid for that very reason.  But, in nature - fighting cocks will do just that - fight to the death.  That there are people that like to raise fighting cocks like "thoroughbreds" and bet a lot of money cheering them on - is distasteful to me. 

But don't try to "red herring" me into a debate on cockfighting.  It won't work with me.  The point at issue was that Sinkspur made some remarks that turned out not to be true - not that I was defending cockfighting.   :seeya:

I saw some as a kid in Cuba.

I'm not trying to engage you into a debate on cockfighting. It is disgusting and disturbing act.

i don't know that painting it with a brush of "State's rights" makes it any less disgusting.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2014, 03:41:43 pm »
and now, for better or worse, it's time to close ranks and go with what we got.  Bevin lost, fair and square, so there is only one choice facing every republican in Kentucky:  vote for the republican directly, or stay home and vote for the democrat indirectly.  It's not a matter of telling anyone to shut up and learn their place, it's time for everyone who cares about this country to assume their rightful place and push back against the democrats.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2014, 03:49:51 pm »
and now, for better or worse, it's time to close ranks and go with what we got.  Bevin lost, fair and square, so there is only one choice facing every republican in Kentucky:  vote for the republican directly, or stay home and vote for the democrat indirectly.  It's not a matter of telling anyone to shut up and learn their place, it's time for everyone who cares about this country to assume their rightful place and push back against the democrats.

WORD
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2014, 03:53:09 pm »
Also, Kentucky - even though it went strongly against Obama (Obama hates coal - coal IS Kentucky) - Kentucky is a strongly Democrat state.  Local politics almost always go in favor of the Dems.  In fact, the general wisdom in my county is that even if you are a Republican - you RUN on the Democrat ticket, or you don't have a chance to win!  We are outnumbered 6 to 1 in my county.  That is why we usually have Democrat Governors too.

Why do we have two Republican Senators?   :shrug:

When it comes to state and local matters - we like our good old boys.  When it comes to the FEDS - we don't trust 'em!  Maybe it's a throwback to those "Revenuers", the ones that busted all the liquor stills.

The Democrats have Ky in the cross-hairs, they see weakness in McConnell and smell blood in the water.  They are going to dump huge resources here to try to get the Senate back in control.  I don't think that you GOPe lovers should get too cocky just yet - it could backfire and I expect a lot of cheating to happen too.

You WANT McConnell to lose, and he's never lost an election.  And he won't lose this one.  By the time Mitch and Rove's Crossroads and the RNC get through with Grimes, she'll be a flighty, flaky broad with Obamacare and the VA scandal tied around her neck.

She IS Barack Obama.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2014, 04:07:40 pm »

:thumbsup2:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2014, 04:31:40 pm »

Yes, it certainly is!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2014, 04:33:56 pm »
Nope.  Anyone that knows God knows that the Sabbath is his day of rest.  Also, anyone that knows God knows that he will not be mocked!

Oh, you're mocking Glenn Beck - not God - right?  Because Beck called Bevin a "Man of God"?  Right?  And because Bevin lost - God must have taken the day off, right?  LOL!!!  You made a funny joke!  So clever, you killed two birds with one joke on that one - Beck and Bevin!  You're so funny.   

I happen to think Matt Bevin is a good Christian man - a man of God.  I'll tell you something else - I remember when McCain was running against Obama, a group of us on Free Republic started a prayer network, where we each agreed to take a certain 30 minute time slot of dedicated prayers for John McCain.  Mind you, I HATE John McCain, but for me - it was prayers for the future of my country.

I did that and was blown away at what I gained spiritually by doing that.  I absolutely felt that my prayers connected to God and I actually FELT his presence while I was doing it - STRONGLY!  I believe it was because there were many of us doing it at the same time and non-stop in a network.

Well, as everyone knows - McCain lost.  Does that mean that God let us down?  That he didn't hear our prayers?  That we were not "Men and Women of God"?  A lot of snarky people would say just that.

But no, it was revealed to me that Obama winning was part of the greater plan, and of God's will.  This is something that must be played out in order for God's plan to be instituted.  What I came to realize through my earnest prayers was that I was praying for God's will to be done (thinking Obama losing was God's will), now I know that the prayers helped me to accept God's will.  And I do. 

America has brought herself to this point, she has turned her back on God and he will NOT be mocked and he will turn his back on us at a certain point.  I believe we have reached that point where the cycle has got to finish itself.  I don't think we can stop it now.  It will get bad, very bad for us before it will start to turn around. 

Does that mean we should just stop praying and give up?  Nope.  We still need to be warriors for God, we still need to live everyday like we're going to live 100 years and we still need - ESPECIALLY now - to stay strong in our desire to discern and do God's will.  Now, more than ever!

Thank You for this post Alice.  With absolutely no hesitation whatsoever, I have to tell you that it is the most inspiring and uplifting post that I have read on any message board in many years.  Thank You, so so much!!

Oceander

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2014, 04:47:23 pm »
Thank You for this post Alice.  With absolutely no hesitation whatsoever, I have to tell you that it is the most inspiring and uplifting post that I have read on any message board in many years.  Thank You, so so much!!

Thanks for your supportive words, Katz.  We know how this all ends, we've already read the book!   :amen:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2014, 12:44:03 am »

The Jews observe Sabbath on Saturn's Day, and Christians observe it on Sunday...or at least after about 300ad the Catholic Church mandated it.  But the Sabbath is just resting on the seventh day after six days of work. So it is permissible to observe the Sabbath on Tew's Day, or Woden's Day, or Thor's Day, or Freya's Day.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/2000/02/Observing-The-Sabbath-On-Tuesday.aspx

As far as mocking God, I think Beck did that first when he urged people to vote for a politician as part of "God's will."

And I'm pretty sure God has a good sense of humor.  I'll find out when I see him.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2014, 01:38:19 am »

Exactly. 

Wish in one hand and spit in the other - all you have is a hand full of spit.  The choice is this or that.  Simple.  I choose R.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2014, 01:39:39 am »
Exactly. 

Wish in one hand and spit in the other - all you have is a hand full of spit.  The choice is this or that.  Simple.  I choose R.

Right there with you, brother!   :beer: