Author Topic: Obituaries for 2014  (Read 23667 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Obituaries for 2014
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2014, 11:56:31 pm »
Jack Bruce did most of the lead vocals, for Cream.

The story goes that "cream" meant "cream of the crop" which each was to a fairly widely respected degree.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2014, 01:29:29 am »
Jack Bruce did most of the lead vocals, for Cream.

The story goes that "cream" meant "cream of the crop" which each was to a fairly widely respected degree.

They were the cream of the crop, but the problem with that is everyone has these terrific egos...

But Jack Bruce was awesome and his voice is what I think of as Cream. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2014, 12:06:48 pm »
They were the cream of the crop, but the problem with that is everyone has these terrific egos...

But Jack Bruce was awesome and his voice is what I think of as Cream.

Add that Ginger Baker was/is a nut-case and there you go.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2014, 01:11:28 pm »
Add that Ginger Baker was/is a nut-case and there you go.

Yep.  Saw a documentary about Baker, he's still crazy.   :beer:

« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2014, 01:28:01 pm »
Yep.  Saw a documentary about Baker, he's still crazy.   :beer:

I saw that documentary too.  He even punched the documentarian in the face or head. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 01:28:20 pm by olde north church »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2014, 01:49:09 pm »
I saw that documentary too.  He even punched the documentarian in the face or head.

It's that redhead temper! 

« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2014, 03:41:06 pm »
It's that redhead temper!

And drunk, broke and nuts don't help!   :silly:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2014, 10:57:07 am »
[float=right][/float]Cardinals rookie outfielder Oscar Taveras, 22, dies in car accident

St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras, a 22-year-old slugger who was regarded as one of the majors' top prospects, died Sunday in a car accident in his native Dominican Republic.

Taveras was driving a 2014 Chevrolet Camaro at the time of the crash on a highway between the beaches of Sosua and Cabarete in Puerto Plata, about 215 miles north of the capital of Santo Domingo, said Col. Diego Pesqueira of the Metropolitan Transportation Agency.

More from Fox Sports

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:58:22 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline flowers

« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2014, 09:56:17 pm »
Terry Keenan, former CNN and Fox News anchor, dies suddenly at age 53

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/business-journalist-terry-keenan-dies-suddenly-53-article-1.1986859

Longtime business journalist Terry Keenan, who reported for CNN and Fox News, died suddenly Thursday night from a massive cerebral hemorrhage, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Keenan had a distinguished career as an anchor and financial analyst and most recently served as a Sunday columnist for the New York Post.

“It is with tremendous sorrow that we report the passing ... of a wonderful mother, wife, sister and pioneering financial journalist,” her family said in a statement published by Mediaite.

Keenan died at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York.

She joined CNN in 1986 as a producer for the cable network’s “Moneyline” program and later became an on-air correspondent.

From 1995 to 1998 she served as an anchor at CNBC, and then rejoined CNN.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:59:42 pm by flowers »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2014, 05:48:15 pm »
Jack Broughton, 89, Dies; Pilot in Vietnam Turned Critic of Leaders

Col. Jack Broughton flew more than 200 jet-fighter missions in the Korean and Vietnam Wars and received the Air Force Cross, his service’s highest award for valor after the Medal of Honor. He led the Air Force’s Thunderbirds in acrobatics that thrilled air show spectators in the mid-1950s and piloted nearly 50 types of military aircraft.

But in June 1967, he faced a possible prison term when the Air Force accused him of covering up the strafing of a Soviet freighter in the North Vietnamese port of Cam Pha by a pilot under his command.

Colonel Broughton and two of his pilots were court-martialed. All were acquitted of the most serious charges, conspiracy to violate Air Force rules of engagement that forbade such an attack. But Colonel Broughton’s career was destroyed in the fallout from one of the most contentious issues of the Vietnam War: the restrictions Washington placed on bomber pilots out of fear that the Soviet Union or China could be drawn into the conflict.
More

Jack Broughton dies at 89; outspoken, revered Vietnam fighter pilot

Wikipedia

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2014, 11:11:29 pm »
Robert Strange McNamara. Never did so incompetent a Secretary of Defense have so fitting a middle name. And don't get me started on Johnson...
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2014, 11:18:20 pm »
Acker Bilk: legendary jazz clarinettist dies aged 85

Clarinettist Acker Bilk, who personified the trad jazz revival of the 1950s and 60s, has died after a lengthy illness, aged 85.

His most famous number Stranger on the Shore was the UK's biggest selling single of 1962 and made him an international star.

Born Bernard Stanley Bilk, he changed his name to Acker - Somerset slang for mate - after learning to play the clarinet in the Army.

His last concert was in August 2013.

Pamela Sutton, who was Bilk's personal manager for 45 years, said he had "been ill for some time. He was my great friend and his music was legendary."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29874053
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2014, 12:15:51 am »

Clarinettist Acker Bilk, who personified the trad jazz revival of the 1950s and 60s, has died after a lengthy illness, aged 85.

His most famous number Stranger on the Shore was the UK's biggest selling single of 1962 and made him an international star.

Born Bernard Stanley Bilk, he changed his name to Acker - Somerset slang for mate - after learning to play the clarinet in the Army.

His last concert was in August 2013.

Pamela Sutton, who was Bilk's personal manager for 45 years, said he had "been ill for some time. He was my great friend and his music was legendary."

I had no idea he was even still alive. “Stranger on the Shore” is such a beautiful piece. Heck, I liked it so much I learned to play it on harmonica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jZeXvpyZQ

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2014, 08:56:54 pm »
'Car Talk' Co-Host Tom Magliozzi Dies At 77

Tom Magliozzi, one half of the wisecracking Car Talk duo known as "Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers," has died after complications from Alzheimer's Disease. He was 77.

Magliozzi and his co-host brother, Ray, began the show at WBUR in Boston in 1977, taking it to the NPR network, and a national audience, a decade later. In 2012, the brothers announced they were retiring from the show, and it has been heard in re-runs on NPR member stations since then.

More

Car Talk on Wikipedia

Tom and Ray Magliozzi on Wikipedia
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:57:28 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2014, 09:24:26 pm »

Big hit in the US, as well. According to this source, # One.

http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/top-100-songs-of-the-year/?year=1962

Instrumental generally don't top the charts, these days, whereas they frequently did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_chart_achievements_and_milestones#Instrumental_number-ones
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2014, 04:37:47 pm »

Tom Magliozzi, one half of the wisecracking Car Talk duo known as "Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers," has died after complications from Alzheimer's Disease. He was 77.

Magliozzi and his co-host brother, Ray, began the show at WBUR in Boston in 1977, taking it to the NPR network, and a national audience, a decade later. In 2012, the brothers announced they were retiring from the show, and it has been heard in re-runs on NPR member stations since then.

More

Car Talk on Wikipedia

Use to listen to that show.

Oceander

« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2014, 11:10:57 pm »

More

Car Talk on Wikipedia

There goes a soul who will be missed!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2014, 06:51:33 pm »
Prince David Chavchavadze - obituary

Prince David Chavchavadze was a CIA agent during the cold war who was descended from Tsar Nicholas I of Imperial Russia and became friendly with Stalin's daughter

Prince David Chavchavadze, who has died aged 90, was descended from the royal families of both Russia and Georgia, and served as a cold war case officer with the CIA for 25 years; he later made his mark as a writer and historian...

Prince David Chavchavadze, born May 20 1924, died October 5 2014
More

Wikipedia

David Chavchavadze, CIA spy with Russian royal roots, dies at 90

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2014, 12:14:10 am »
With ballet slippers, a Starr was born

When Greg Oliver and I conceived of The Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame: Heroes & Icons in 2007, Ricki Starr was one of the guys we targeted from the beginning. At the time, Starr was more than 40 years removed from his heyday as a star in North American wrestling circles. But he had never told the story of how he used a pair of ballet slippers to ascend from lowly opening matches in Texas gyms to the top rank of pop culture superstardom ...

With Starr's death after a brief illness Sept. 20 in London at 83, we'll never get his life history, but that's acceptable in a way. Our overriding goal in writing profiles for the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame series has been to explain who these wrestlers were, not just what they did, and Starr's devout introspection was one of his identifying traits ...
More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7y5nnxIGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7y5nnxIGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pYAnOFtm5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pYAnOFtm5A

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2014, 12:41:13 am »
"Big Bank Hank" Jackson, member of first hip-hop group to chart a top 40 hit, dies at 57

A member of the Sugarhill Gang, whose pioneering hit "Rapper's Delight" brought hip hop to mainstream audiences 35 years ago, died Tuesday of complications from cancer.

"Big Bank Hank," whose real name was Henry Jackson, died early Tuesday in Englewood, New Jersey, according to David Mallie, who manages the two surviving Sugarhill Gang members. The New York native was 57.

A beefy, boisterous presence onstage, Hank handled vocals in the early to middle portion of "Rapper's Delight," which despite its extended length -- one version was more than 14 minutes long -- became the first rap song to reach the Top 40 on the U.S. Billboard charts.

More

Wikipedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljUnyv5XUA8
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:57:58 am by jmyrlefuller »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2014, 11:38:25 am »
Carol Ann Susi, Unseen Actress on 'Big Bang Theory,' Dies at 62

Carol Ann Susi, who is best known for voicing Mrs. Wolowitz on CBS' The Big Bang Theory, died early Tuesday morning in Los Angeles after battling cancer. She was 62.

See more  Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014

"The Big Bang Theory family has lost a beloved member today with the passing of Carol Ann Susi, who hilariously and memorably voiced the role of Mrs. Wolowitz," read a statement from Warner Bros. Television and Big Bang Theory producers Chuck Lorre, Steve Molaro and Bill Prady. "Unseen by viewers, the Mrs. Wolowitz character became a bit of a mystery throughout the show's eight seasons. What was not a mystery, however, was Carol Ann's immense talent and comedic timing, which were on display during each unforgettable appearance. In addition to her talent, Carol Ann was a constant source of joy and kindness to all. Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with her family during this time, and we will miss her greatly."

Her co-stars mourned her on social media.

Mrs. Wolowitz was rarely seen on-screen — though eagle-eyed viewers caught a glimpse of the pink-clad parent at Howard's (Simon Helberg) wedding in the fifth season finale.

"The glimpse on the rooftop is all you're going to get for now!" showrunner Molaro told The Hollywood Reporter at the time. "Isn't she better left to the imagination? There are no plans to actually see her on camera, and I think it's probably better that way."

It is unclear how Susi's passing will impact the show, though it is worth noting Melissa Rauch (Bernadette) does a spot-on impression of her character. Mrs. Wolowitz has had a central storyline this season, in which the gang's friend Stuart (Kevin Sussman) moves in with Mrs. Wolowitz to nurse her through her declining health. Howard becomes jealous, thinking Stuart has replaced him in his mother's heart.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/carol-ann-susi-dead-big-748433
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2014, 11:40:38 am »
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:43:24 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2014, 11:14:21 pm »
[float=right][/float]Bern Bennett, radio and television announcer, dies at 92

It is with sadness that I report Bennett died May 29 at age 92. His death went unreported except for a short mention in the SAG-AFTRA performers union magazine, which said he died in the morning, somewhere in San Pedro. Which means I was still close to him even though, unfortunately, I was no longer close to him. Perhaps he was in a care home.

He would have turned 93 on Oct. 19.

More

Wikipedia

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2014, 10:35:38 pm »
Glen A. Larson, Creator of TV's 'Quincy M.E.,' 'Magnum, P.I.' and 'Battlestar Galactica,' Dies at 77

Glen A. Larson, the wildly successful television writer-producer whose enviable track record includes Quincy M.E., Magnum, P.I., Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider and The Fall Guy, has died. He was 77 ...

Larson also wrote and produced for such noteworthy series as ABC's It Takes a Thief, starring his fellow Hollywood High School alum Robert Wagner as a burglar now stealing for the U.S. government, and NBC's McCloud, with Dennis Weaver as a sheriff from Taos, N.M., who moves to Manhattan to help the big-city cops there ...
More

Wikipedia

IMDb
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:56:05 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2014, 06:26:15 pm »
Charles Champlin dies at 88; former L.A. Times arts editor, critic

Charles Champlin, the former Los Angeles Times arts editor, film critic and columnist whose insightful, elegantly written reviews and columns informed and entertained readers for decades, died Sunday at his Los Angeles home. He was 88.

The cause was complications of Alzheimer's disease, said his son, Charles Champlin Jr.

The Harvard-educated Champlin had worked 17 years at Life and Time magazines before joining The Times as entertainment editor and three-times-a-week columnist in 1965.
More

Wikipedia