Exclusive Content > The Last Wire

Why You Be Blaming Me?

(1/6) > >>

Luis Gonzalez:
Why You Be Blaming Me?
By Luis Gonzalez
The Last Wire

Speaking to 1.200 graduating High School seniors in Topeka Kansas on the 60th anniversary of the groundbreaking Brown vs. Board of Education Supreme Court ruling, Michelle Obama spoke of the growing segregation in post-MLK America.

--- Quote ---TOPEKA, Kan. — Sixty years after the Supreme Court outlawed “separate but equal” schools for blacks and whites, civil rights advocates say American schools are becoming increasingly segregated, while the first lady, Michelle Obama, lamented that “many young people are going to schools with kids who look just like them.”

“Today, by some measures, our schools are as segregated as they were back when Dr. King gave his final speech,” Mrs. Obama told 1,200 graduating high school seniors Friday here in the city that gave rise to the landmark Brown v. Board of Education case.

In a speech that was part commencement address, part policy pronouncement and part journey into her own past, Mrs. Obama said that Brown’s advances were being reversed. “Many districts in this country have actually pulled back on efforts to integrate their schools, and many communities have become less diverse,” she said, leading to schools that are less diverse.

“And too often,” Mrs. Obama said, “those schools aren't equal, especially ones attended by students of color which too often lag behind.”

~~~

“I think about my mother, who, as a little girl, went to segregated schools in Chicago and felt the sting of discrimination,” she said. “I think about my husband’s grandparents, white folks born and raised right here in Kansas — products themselves of segregation,” who helped raise a biracial grandson.

“And then,” Mrs. Obama said, “I think about how that child grew up to be the president of the United States, and how today, that little girl from Chicago is helping to raise her granddaughters in the White House.”
--- End quote ---

You can read the entire article here, and if you do, you may notice the absence of a few words very pertinent to a dialogue centered around the growing segregation in a post-MLK America.

I wholeheartedly agree with Mrs. Obama, but we may not see eye-to-eye on the reason for this growing segregation.

Michelle Obama and others of her mindset wish to paint a picture of an America slowly skulking back to segregation, but that is not the case at all, and all one has to do to understand that is to look around. Once you do that, you may realize what those missing words in the article are.

~~~

Continue reading at The Last Wire

truth_seeker:
Some of the highest expenditures per student, occur in largely minority districts, yet they perform miserably.

No wonder with 72% of blacks today born outside wedlock. That figure alone, is the biggest single factor predicting subpar life outcomes (school dropouts, jail, drug/alcohol addictions, parenting more out of wedlock children).

Too back our first black President and his wife haven't made positive steps to face those realities. Instead they foment ignorance of the truths, wasting time on school diets, and giving blacks break after break, blaming whitey for their troubles.

MLK probably rolls in his grave.

mountaineer:
Good essay, Luis.  :beer:

MACVSOG68:
Outstanding Luis.  I wish you could post that on DU, KOS, or Huffpo.  Those are the folks who really need to face and digest that perspective.  They would all reject it out of hand, but many would start thinking about it hours, maybe days later. 

But they would remember it.

DCPatriot:
Love it Luis.

It's worthy of being at the TOP of American Thinker.   :beer:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version