Author Topic: Pope Demands 'Legitimate Redistribution' of Wealth  (Read 3110 times)

SPQR

Re: Pope Demands 'Legitimate Redistribution' of Wealth
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 06:29:37 am »
I liked the Mormons I met. Polite, friendly, helpful to a fault. Believe in hard work, self improvement, self reliance - Gee wizz, it's almost like they are conservatives or something ....

Don't get their theology at all though.

Im all that.You will get the theology once you are immersed into the Church. That is why they have the Elders and the Sisters are for. They will work with you. Then they will do bi-weekly follow-ups after the baptism to make sure that you will not fall behind. There is also home study programs that are set up by the Church. But attendance on Sunday is a must and tithing is a must also. Reading the material like the "Book of Mormon","Doctrine and Covenants and "The Pearl of Great Price" also need to be read.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:51:26 am by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 06:59:01 am »
Im all that.You will get the theology once you are immersed into the Church. That is why they have the Elders and the Sisters are for. They will work with you. Then they will do bi-weekly follow-ups after the baptism to make sure that you will not fall behind. There is also home study programs that are set up by the Church. But attendance on Sunday is a must and tithing is a must also. Reading the material like the "Book of Mormon","Doctrine and Covenants and "The Pearl of Great Price" also need to be read.

Sounds like Evangelical Christians who were smart enough to keep the rite of Confession.

Not likely to change my faith. I like being Catholic, it gives me immense comfort. Just endlessly curious about people and both how and why they see the world as they do.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 07:29:52 am »
Sounds like Evangelical Christians who were smart enough to keep the rite of Confession.

Not likely to change my faith. I like being Catholic, it gives me immense comfort. Just endlessly curious about people and both how and why they see the world as they do.

The LDS church is not for everyone. I am happy where I am at. If you are looking for a religion with strong patriarchal and family values this is where its at.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:31:49 am by SPQR »

Oceander

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 12:44:37 pm »
Caring for the sick and elderly and assisting the poor is Gods. You are supposed to do it voluntarily though, not have it done forcibly on your behalf.

Exactly. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 01:48:24 am »
Yep. Sure - they are bound to have their contingent of holier than thou assholes (or just plain assholes), but I liked the Mormons I met. Polite, friendly, helpful to a fault. Believe in hard work, self improvement, self reliance - Gee wizz, it's almost like they are conservatives or something ....

The theology is whacko. The people are fine (I'm related to a bunch of them).

I've got cousins that are devout Mormons, Jack Mormons, and Ex-Mormons.

Me, I've never been a Mormon. Just kinda had to deal with them, get along, etc.

My wife has been to some Mormon events, and she likes the food and family aspect. She's Italian, and says they remind her of her family.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

SPQR

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 03:29:43 am »
The theology is whacko. The people are fine (I'm related to a bunch of them).

I've got cousins that are devout Mormons, Jack Mormons, and Ex-Mormons.

Me, I've never been a Mormon. Just kinda had to deal with them, get along, etc.

My wife has been to some Mormon events, and she likes the food and family aspect. She's Italian, and says they remind her of her family.

I am glad to be  a devout Mormon, I will raise my family to be devout Mormons according to church doctrine and I will die a die a devout Mormon. President Gordon Hinckley said."Our lives are the only meaningful expression of what we believe and in Whom we believe. And the only real wealth, for any of us, lies in our faith.”
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 03:33:15 am by SPQR »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 04:08:54 am »
I am glad to be  a devout Mormon, I will raise my family to be devout Mormons according to church doctrine and I will die a die a devout Mormon. President Gordon Hinckley said."Our lives are the only meaningful expression of what we believe and in Whom we believe. And the only real wealth, for any of us, lies in our faith.”

I apologize to you for having to read such posts, SPQR!   There's no reason for it.

I am a "fallen away" Catholic...was an altar boy and was taught by the Franciscans and Jesuits.  Just read an essay recently that actually ridiculed the Catholic doctrine...but with velvet gloves, if you know what I mean.

Please apologize, truth_seeker.  I'm sure you didn't mean to do that to a fellow member.

One more thing.   Please don't turn this place into a Mormon war like over at TOS.  Thanks!   :police:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

SPQR

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2014, 04:20:04 am »

I apologize to you for having to read such posts, SPQR!   There's no reason for it.

I am a "fallen away" Catholic...was an altar boy and was taught by the Franciscans and Jesuits.  Just read an essay recently that actually ridiculed the Catholic doctrine...but with velvet gloves, if you know what I mean.

Please apologize, truth_seeker.  I'm sure you didn't mean to do that to a fellow member.

One more thing.   Please don't turn this place into a Mormon war like over at TOS.  Thanks!   :police:

It all right. All the negative things about the LDS makes my faith even stronger.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2014, 04:23:47 am »
It all right. All the negative things about the LDS makes my faith even stronger.

Thanks...so glad to hear that.   

As long as a recognized religion doesn't physically harm the weaker sex and embraces a "live and let live" mentality, it's all good.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2014, 04:25:51 am »
I guess we will not put your name for tickets to the Mormon Tabernacle.

:silly: :silly:

I was reacting to the article, not to the comments.

Has the Choir added any Led Zep to the repertoire yet?

Maybe I'll take the tickets.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

SPQR

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 05:13:54 am »
Thanks...so glad to hear that.   

As long as a recognized religion doesn't physically harm the weaker sex and embraces a "live and let live" mentality, it's all good.

:thumbsup:

I really appreciate that DC
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:17:50 am by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 05:15:46 am »
I was reacting to the article, not to the comments.

Has the Choir added any Led Zep to the repertoire yet?

Maybe I'll take the tickets.

I do not think that Mack Wilberg or President or Prophet Monson would allow that

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2014, 06:09:14 am »
I meant you or any other Mormons no disrespect. No offense intended. So as requested, I apologize if any offense was taken.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2014, 01:32:23 pm »

Just so you know, you are not alone here!

I was the director of education in a large Methodist congregation for many years before my conversion in 1993. Finally found what I had been looking for all those years up to then.

And if what happened at FR prior to the last presidential election happens here I'll be VERY sad indeed!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:33:54 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2014, 01:47:33 pm »
I meant you or any other Mormons no disrespect. No offense intended. So as requested, I apologize if any offense was taken.

:beer: 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2014, 01:48:19 pm »
And if what happened at FR prior to the last presidential election happens here I'll be VERY sad indeed!

It won't. Myst and Repub won't stand for it. Nor would any of the rest of us.

Glad you found your path though, brother.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:49:12 pm by EC »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2014, 01:51:16 pm »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2014, 01:51:42 pm »
Yep. Sure - they are bound to have their contingent of holier than thou assholes (or just plain assholes), but I liked the Mormons I met. Polite, friendly, helpful to a fault. Believe in hard work, self improvement, self reliance - Gee wizz, it's almost like they are conservatives or something ....

In my lifetime I have seen assholes from all Religions... However, I'm seeing a growing contingent from the Secularist and from Islamist.. Having said that is what I like about the Mormons... I have relatives who are Mormons...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:53:16 pm by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2014, 02:03:10 pm »

Thank you! So am I! It was a LONG journey!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2014, 02:06:53 pm »
Just so you know, you are not alone here!

I was the director of education in a large Methodist congregation for many years before my conversion in 1993. Finally found what I had been looking for all those years up to then.

That is one the main reasons why I left FR.......

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2014, 02:12:09 pm »

It's the reason I were zotted from FR. Got sick of Elsie's BS and called him unchristian.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 02:12:34 pm by EC »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2014, 02:13:11 pm »

In my case it destroyed a long standing personal friendship with Jim Rob and drove me off the forum. Not banned! Just left!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2014, 02:24:18 pm »

You better believe it!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2014, 02:26:13 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2014, 02:54:24 pm »
In my case it destroyed a long standing personal friendship with Jim Rob and drove me off the forum. Not banned! Just left!

Sorry to see what happen to your friendship..