Author Topic: Sarah Palin: ‘Waterboarding is how we’d baptize terrorists’ in her administration  (Read 13337 times)

Online Lando Lincoln

I'm hoping that more and more voting Democrats can admit that this isn't what they signed up for.  Even if they're getting bennies....they still know that it was better when they worked 40 hours and could take their kids out for dinner once in awhile.

There will be some. My many relatives who vote Democratic seem to be staying there. The big gap will be in turnout, I suspect.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

If this were a thread about Taliban waterboarding Christian missionaries and calling it a baptism  most people on this thread (me included) would be raging about the godless bastards torturing our people and mocking Christianity.

The fact that I am consistent in calling waterboarding "torture" and that drawing a line of equivalency between the practice of waterboarding and the Christian rite of baptism is offensive to me makes me one off the people on the thread that's consistent in my moral values.

My moral North is well fixed in place

And THAT is the deeper meaning of the thread.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
You're right, Lando!  Sorry.

That said, IMO, Sarah's use of the word 'baptism' was intended as used.  The religious analogy was a dig at their cult-like, out-of-control  Islam.

It was perfect. 

She's not stupid.   Nobody else saying it could have garnered the media attention that she does.  And they deserve to be called out.

The MSM is being played....the more people hear her say she'd be Wyatt Earp while our country is being bullied and humiliated throughout the world...well, her popularity is enhanced.

I'm hoping that more and more voting Democrats can admit that this isn't what they signed up for.  Even if they're getting bennies....they still know that it was better when they worked 40 hours and could take their kids out for dinner once in awhile.

The late Adrian Rogers once said "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it".

Inspired by Dr. Roger's wisdom, I'd like to suggest that you cannot claim the moral high ground by taking the low road.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL

Water boarding is nothing compared to what every Special Operator in any branch of the U.S. military endures in the course of his or her training and using it to get information we need to deal with terrorists from other terrorists should be routine IMHO!

Have you ever been water boarded? I am ex-military, and I have experienced it first hand. I'm going to have to say that I disagree with your statement. I don't disagree with doing what we need to to extract information, but water boarding is absolutely a form of torture. It is unbearable and unbelievably painful. It is like being in a perpetual state of drowning.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Have you ever been water boarded? I am ex-military, and I have experienced it first hand. I'm going to have to say that I disagree with your statement. I don't disagree with doing what we need to to extract information, but water boarding is absolutely a form of torture. It is unbearable and unbelievably painful. It is like being in a perpetual state of drowning.

Thanks for weighing in, and thank you for your service.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:42:28 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Thank you for your service, Dex.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Lando Lincoln

Thank you.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I'm going to take a guess and say that your personal experience with waterboarding came as a result of the training you underwent in the military and very respectfully suggest to you that the reason YOU believe it's torture is because you don't have any idea what REAL torture is!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

This is from my phone so it will be brief...  I respect all of you who have served. One of my great regrets is not serving myself.

But... Aren't we being silly over definitions?  What is it about waterboarding that will make the most hardened soldier give up his brothers in arms?  The fact that it does not permanently maim makes it somehow not traumatic?  It really strikes me that some would deny that it is a very real form of torture.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
This is from my phone so it will be brief...  I respect all of you who have served. One of my great regrets is not serving myself.

What is it about waterboarding that will make the most hardened soldier give up his brothers in arms?

FEAR and fear alone! It is NOT torture in the same sense that cutting off fingers and toes, one joint oat a time, over days is! Not even in the same game or even the same ball park for that matter!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

But... Aren't we being silly over definitions?  What is it about waterboarding that will make the most hardened soldier give up his brothers in arms?  The fact that it does not permanently maim makes it somehow not traumatic?  It really strikes me that some would deny that it is a very real form of torture.

My friend, waterboarding is nothing. It's also easy to stop. All you need do is inhale. If they really want information, they'll pump you out again. After the third time they get frustrated and move on to other methods. If they don't - well, it's over, at least.

Fast interrogation works on three of the four basic fears. Fear of not being able to breathe, fear of the dark, and fear of pain. I don't think anyone at ground level has managed to work in fear of falling yet, though it is amazingly effective. Take someone up to 2000 feet, hang them out the door with a knife on the rope and they'll give up their own mother in less time than it took to type this sentence.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Dexter

I'm going to take a guess and say that your personal experience with waterboarding came as a result of the training you underwent in the military and very respectfully suggest to you that the reason YOU believe it's torture is because you don't have any idea what REAL torture is!

I'm not arguing that there are not worse and more painful forms of torture, but that doesn't somehow change the fact that water boarding is also a form of torture. Physical mutilation is not a requirement for something to be torture.
-Socrates

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I'm not arguing that there are not worse and more painful forms of torture, but that doesn't somehow change the fact that water boarding is also a form of torture. Physical mutilation is not a requirement for something to be torture.

Following your logic ANYTHING can be called torture DEX! ANYTHING! Having to watch cartoons with your kids on Saturday morning is a form of torture!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Following your logic ANYTHING can be called torture DEX! ANYTHING! Having to watch cartoons with your kids on Saturday morning is a form of torture!

....except Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner, that is.  :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

How many times have you been waterboarded Bigun?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
How many times have you been waterboarded Bigun?

I don't remember exactly as it was a LONG time ago in the course of my military training but I WELL remember it! At the time it was being done to me I would have readily agreed that it was torture but since then, in the clear light of day, I have come to realize that it is not!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I don't remember exactly as it was a LONG time ago in the course of my military training but I WELL remember it! At the time it was being done to me I would have readily agreed that it was torture but since then, in the clear light of day, I have come to realize that it is not!

So, the difference between now and then is that then, when it was being done to you it was torture, and now, when it's done to someone else it isn't.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Look up.

It's hypocrisy.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
So, the difference between now and then is that then, when it was being done to you it was torture, and now, when it's done to someone else it isn't.

No NO and NO!

Did you see what I posted above?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
No NO and NO!

Did you see what I posted above?

Yes, I saw it as did everyone else.

At the time it was being done to me I would have readily agreed that it was torture but since then, in the clear light of day, I have come to realize that it is not!

When it was being done to you, it was torture, now, you're here arguing that when it's done to others, it isn't torture.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Yes, I saw it as did everyone else.

At the time it was being done to me I would have readily agreed that it was torture but since then, in the clear light of day, I have come to realize that it is not!

When it was being done to you, it was torture, now, you're here arguing that when it's done to others, it isn't torture.

BS Luis! When it was done to me I THOUGHT it was torture but have come to realize it was not!

Stop trying to twist my words to suit YOUR agenda! I'm quite tired of it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

BS Luis! When it was done to me I THOUGHT it was torture but have come to realize it was not!

What brought you to the realization that it is not torture? What changed from when you thought it was torture while it was being done to you?
-Socrates

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
What brought you to the realization that it is not torture? What changed from when you thought it was torture while it was being done to you?

Time and hypocrisy.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I grew up! Became a man!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

So, when you were being waterboarded, when it was happening to YOU, YOU THOUGHT YOU were being tortured.

Now, when someone else is being waterboarded, when it isn't YOU being waterboarded, YOU think that THEY are not being tortured.

Now, if this was a case of American missionaries being waterboarded by Taliban fighters who claimed that they were baptizing those missionaries, would you be making the argument that those missionaries weren't being tortured and that the Taliban fighters weren't mocking Christianity?