Author Topic: Race row roils NBA  (Read 7122 times)

Offline mountaineer

I really was hoping the Warriors would win game 7.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline katzenjammer

Me too.  Let's hope the Thunder sweep them now!

Offline flowers

did the lakers win that series?  yeah i could google it. but i ask you all

Offline flowers

Tommy Lasorda on V. Stiviano: "I hope she gets hit with a car"
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2014, 02:44:00 pm »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-sterling-scandal-tommy-lasorda-says-he-hopes-v-stiviano-gets-hit-with-a-car/

The former Dodgers manager tells West Palm Beach station WPBF after 30 years of friendship with Sterling, "It doesn't surprise me that he said those things. And he shouldn't have said it."

Lasorda also offered his thoughts on the woman Sterling was talking to on the tape, V. Stiviano, saying: "I don't wish that girl any bad luck, but I hope she gets hit with a car."

Last week, the NBA fined Sterling $2.5 million and banned him from any association with the Clippers and the league over racist remarks he made during a recorded conversation with Stiviano.

Lasorda was in South Florida to receive an honorary doctorate Tuesday at Northwood University.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Tommy Lasorda on V. Stiviano: "I hope she gets hit with a car"
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2014, 02:46:37 pm »
Sure.  Blame the girl, not the 81 year old sugar daddy.

Offline flowers

« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2014, 03:16:42 pm »
Sure.  Blame the girl, not the 81 year old sugar daddy.
The real war on women!!!!   :whistle:..................... :smokin:

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2014, 10:05:07 pm »
Hey, Tommy Italian [I'm half]. We don't like rats on principle. And rats that 'wear a wire'/ Please!  :2gunz: :2gunz: :2gunz:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Shelly Sterling's desire to retain Clippers ownership a 'wild card'
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2014, 02:18:34 am »
http://msn.foxsports.com/west/story/shelly-sterling-s-desire-to-retain-clippers-ownership-a-wild-card-050714

Shelly Sterling's desire to retain Clippers ownership a 'wild card'
LA TIMES
FOX Sports West

MAY 07, 2014 9:20p ET

Los Angeles Clippers co-owner Shelly Sterling said Wednesday that she believes she is legally entitled to maintain ownership of the NBA team and will attempt to do so, even as the pro basketball league pushes to remove her husband from the team he has owned for 33 years.

Sterling described her more than three-decade tenure as a "die-hard" fan of the Clippers and said she believes that the sanctions against Donald Sterling -- which included a lifetime ban and $2.5-million fine -- do not apply to "me or my family."

Shelly Sterling's position presents a "wild card" for the pro basketball league as it faces its biggest crisis in memory, said a league official, who declined to be named because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the matter. Her intention to hold onto the team is a wrinkle apparently not contemplated by NBA officials when they moved 12 days ago to strip her estranged husband of ownership.

Players, fans and other owners have signaled they would like to see a fresh start for the Los Angeles franchise, which is in the midst of a playoff run in what could be its most successful season after decades of futility. Ownership by any of the Sterlings could mean a continued flight of sponsors and a potential boycott from players and fans.

The NBA had no immediate comment on Shelly Sterling's desire to keep the team. On Wednesday, she said in an email to The Times that she has retained a law firm to represent her in her ownership quest.

The league moved against Donald Sterling after the website TMZ released a recording in which Sterling made racially charged comments, telling a frequent courtside companion that he did not want to see her at Clippers games with black people. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver responded with the fine, lifetime ban and a call for the league's 29 other owners to vote to force Sterling to sell the team.

When Silver announced Donald Sterling's punishment last week, he said there had been "no decisions about other members of the Sterling family," adding: "This ruling applies specifically to Donald Sterling and Donald Sterling's conduct only."

But Silver also said that when it comes to a vote on future ownership, fellow NBA board members would consider Sterling's "€œoverall fitness to be an owner in the NBA,"€ which would "take into account a lifetime of behavior."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
Re: Shelly Sterling's desire to retain Clippers ownership a 'wild card'
« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2014, 11:13:24 pm »
From what I understand, Mr. Sterling might be in a very good position to sue the crap out of the NBA.

I'm hoping that he does just that.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2014, 11:34:20 pm »
From what I understand, Mr. Sterling might be in a very good position to sue the crap out of the NBA.

I'm hoping that he does just that.
Sue them for what?   
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Howie66

« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2014, 11:39:17 pm »
Sue them for what?
How about interferring with HIS civil liberties? Banning him from being around HIS OWN team?

Come on, man.

What crime did Sterling commit? Who did he harm?

Or, are you telling me that the Thought Police are an acceptable fact of life?

Damn...I can't believe that this is even a topic for debate.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2014, 11:42:07 pm »
I suppose that it's quite fortuitous that Tommy Lasorda doesn't own a sports franchise.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Donald Sterling tells Anderson Cooper: 'I'm asking for forgiveness'
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2014, 11:40:41 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/11/us/donald-sterling-interview/index.html

Donald Sterling tells Anderson Cooper: 'I'm asking for forgiveness'

AC360
By Ismael Estrada and Catherine E. Shoichet, CNN
updated 7:17 PM EDT, Sun May 11, 2014

Watch Anderson Cooper's interview with Donald Sterling at 8 p.m. ET Monday on "AC360" on CNN.

(CNN) -- Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling says he's sorry, nearly two weeks after the NBA banned him for life and slammed him with a $2.5 million fine for making racist comments.

"I'm a good member who made a mistake and I'm apologizing and I'm asking for forgiveness," he told CNN's Anderson Cooper in an exclusive interview set to air on Monday. "Am I entitled to one mistake, am I after 35 years? I mean, I love my league, I love my partners. Am I entitled to one mistake? It's a terrible mistake, and I'll never do it again."

Sterling, an 80-year-old married lawyer and billionaire real-estate investor, hasn't spoken publicly about the accusations since celebrity gossip website TMZ posted a 10-minute audio recording of him that drew widespread condemnation from fans, players and the league.

In that audio clip, Sterling chastised a woman for posting pictures online of her posing with African-Americans, including basketball Hall of Famer Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

The recording triggered a firestorm that led to Sterling's lifetime ban from the NBA and a $2.5 million fine. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver has asked the other 29 owners to force Sterling, the longest-tenured owner in the league, to sell the Clippers.

"I'm not a racist," Sterling told Cooper. "I made a terrible mistake. I'm here to apologize."

Asked by Cooper why he took so long to say he's sorry, Sterling said he was "emotionally distraught."

"The reason it's hard for me, very hard for me, is that I'm wrong. I caused the problem. I don't know how to correct it," he said.

Sterling told CNN that his fate is in the NBA's hands.

"If the owners feel I have another chance, then they'll give it to me," he said.
Should Sterling's wife sell the Clippers?

Last week, another audio recording surfaced online, allegedly showing Sterling trying to add context to the racist comments that got him banned from the league.

In that recording, Sterling purportedly explained that his comments were driven by jealousy.

"The girl is black. I like her. I'm jealous that she's with other black guys. I want her. So what the hell, can I in private tell her, you know, 'I don't want you to be with anybody'?" the man purported to be Sterling said in that recording, according to RadarOnline.

The matter of the team's sale is with the NBA's Advisory/Finance Committee, which met Wednesday in a conference call. Members discussed the "termination of Mr. Sterling's ownership of the team," the NBA said in a news release. The committee will meet again next week, the statement said.

NBA's strategy to force a sale hinges on 1981 document

If the case proceeds to a full vote, 75% of the owners would have to approve the forced sale.

However, an attorney for Donald Sterling's estranged wife, Shelly, told CNN Friday that she wants to keep her 50% stake in the team.

"She wants to remain a passive owner," said attorney Pierce O'Donnell. "She's not going to want to manage the team. She's going to want a very skilled, professional, well-heeled new owner to come in and replace Donald," O'Donnell said. "She only wants to own the team in her lifetime. She's 79 years old. At this point, she's earned it. She's been an owner for 33 years, and she's an avid fan."
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online rustynail

Re: Donald Sterling tells Anderson Cooper: 'I'm asking for forgiveness'
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2014, 11:43:18 pm »

LeBron James says players don’t want any member of Sterling family to own L.A. Clippers

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2014, 12:07:37 am »
LeBron James says players don’t want any member of Sterling family to own L.A. Clippers

:nometalk:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Donald Sterling in new tirade against Magic Johnson and African Americans
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2014, 12:25:36 pm »
Donald Sterling in new tirade against Magic Johnson and African Americans
Rory Carroll

Clippers basketball team owner, in interview billed as apology for racist remarks, slings insults at HIV-positive former NBA star

It was billed as an apology for racist comments that created a firestorm – but the Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has unleashed a new row by launching a searing attack on Magic Johnson and wealthy African Americans.

The tycoon used an interview aired on Monday to apologise for the tirade against black people caught on tape last month but then depicted Johnson, who has HIV, of being a womanising disease-carrier.

In what may become a case study in how not to defuse a crisis, Sterling, a national pariah who is battling to keep his basketball team, also accused wealthy black people of being stingy philanthropists in contrast to Jews such as himself.

The 80-year-old, speaking to CNN's Anderson Cooper in his first television interview since the crisis broke, insisted he was no racist and asked forgiveness for making derogatory comments about black people in the leaked tape, saying he had been “baited” into doing so.

But then the attempt at damage control self-destructed. Sterling accused Johnson, a basketball legend turned investor and one of the US's most beloved African Americans, of deceitfulness and promiscuity.

"Big Magic Johnson, what has he done? He's got Aids ... what kind of a guy goes to every city, has sex with every girl, then he catches HIV?”

The former Lakers star was diagnosed with HIV in 1991 and through the Magic Johnson Foundation is a leading campaigner for awareness and treatment. His infection has not led to Aids.

Sterling conflated the virus with the full-blown disease and referred to it in the plural. “When he had those Aids I went to my synagogue and I prayed for him.”

Sterling said he admired Johnson, 53, as a “good” man, then contradicted himself. “Is that someone we want to respect and tell our kids about? I think he should be ashamed of himself. I think he should go into the background. But what does he do for the black people? He doesn't do anything."

In the original leaked conversation, which was posted on the celebrity news site TMZ, Sterling complained to a female friend, V Stiviano, that she had posed for photographs with Johnson and asked her to not bring black people to Clippers games.

President Barack Obama led a wave of condemnation and the National Basketball Association banned Sterling for life, saying he would have to sell the team.

The real estate magnate replied that he wished to keep it, signalling a possibly protracted legal battle, and blamed his delay in publicly responding on Johnson, who is part of a consortium that wants to buy the Clippers.

Sterling said the retired athlete called him when the furore broke and told him to remain silent in apparent hope of negotiating a quick sale. "He just said 'Wait, be patient, I'll help you, we'll work it out' ... I think he wanted me to do nothing so he could buy the team.”

Sterling also contrasted Jewish philanthropy with that of African Americans. “Jews when they get successful, they will help their people, and some of the African Americans – maybe I'll get in trouble again – they don't want to help anybody," he said.

continued at link:    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/may/13/donald-sterling-in-new-tirade-against-magic-johnson-and-african-americans

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2014, 04:06:24 pm »
I watched some of that interview. What a idiot. If he had a chance to keep the team, it flew out the window at the speed of a SR-71.

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2627675/EXCLUSIVE-Donald-Sterling-vows-fight-LA-Clippers-Supreme-Court-calls-Obama-flippant-attacking-racist-views.html

Donald Sterling told friend in recorded conversation that 'I've done nothing wrong' and that in America 'you can't force somebody to sell property
He claimed his lawyers have told him that it would take '20 years of litigation' to force him to sell the team
Sterling said the $2.5m fine imposed on him by the NBA is 'far excessive'
He said: ‘$2.5m for what? For telling a girl I wanted to have sex with her and why it would be so beneficial for her?’
Sterling called his mistress Stiviano 'nuts' and fears that she will 'take me down'
Hit out at President Obama for condemning him publicly calling him 'flippant' for speaking without 'getting all the full facts first'
Sterling also claimed that he had the backing of some black groups

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
From the article:

[Sterling] says he won't pay a $2.5million fine imposed upon him by the NBA. The game's governing body also placed a life ban on Sterling from ever attending an NBA basketball game.

The NBA should waive the fine and the life ban if Sterling sells the team. The life ban is ridiculous and should be dropped anyway.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Donald Sterling tells NBA he doesn't plan to pay fine
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2014, 02:18:04 am »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2014/05/15/donald-sterling-letter-to-nba/9151207/

Donald Sterling tells NBA he doesn't plan to pay fine
Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY Sports 10:09 p.m. EDT May 15, 2014

Banned Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling does not plan to pay the $2.5 million fine levied by the NBA, Sterling's attorney wrote in a letter to the NBA, a person with first-hand knowledge of the letter told USA TODAY Sports.

The person requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the letter, which was sent on Thursday.

The attorney, Maxwell M. Blecher, also wrote that Sterling doesn't warrant "any punishment at all" for his racist comments that were recorded in a conversation with a female friend and made public.

Blecher, a well-known antitrust attorney, also contends that the fine violates Sterling's due process rights.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver on April 29 fined Sterling $2.5 million and issued him a lifetime ban. Silver also said he will urge other owners to force a sale of the Clippers and do everything in his power to ensure that.

Sterling has already missed the deadline for paying fine, which earlier this week.

The letter was in direct response to the fine and the lifetime ban. The NBA's advisory-finance committee was also notified of the letter.

It is not a surprise Sterling's attorney threatened a legal battle. Sterling is well-known for litigious tactics, and the league had been expecting Sterling to fight.

Blecher is one of Sterling's longtime lawyers and represented Sterling in 1982 when the Clippers were planning to move from San Diego to Los Angeles. Sterling moved the Clippers from in 1984, and the NBA fined him $25 million. He sued the league for $100 million and dropped it when the NBA reduced his fine to $6 million.

Silver banned Sterling for life from any association with the league or the Clippers, and fined $2.5 million — the maximum allowable under the NBA constitution. If three-fourths of the other 29 owners agree to Silver's recommendation, Sterling will be forced to sell the team he has owned since 1981.

After the ruling, players, fellow owners and civil rights leaders applauded Silver. Union representatives had discussed a boycott of playoff games had Silver not delivered such a strong ruling.
Support the USO

Offline SouthTexas

Re: Donald Sterling tells NBA he doesn't plan to pay fine
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2014, 02:34:15 pm »
This may turn out popcorn worthy before it's over!

Can you imagine the lawsuits if he refuses to sell and the players refuse to play? 

Offline evadR

« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2014, 02:50:54 pm »
 Topic: Donald Sterling tells NBA he doesn't plan to pay fine 

Don't blame him one bit.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline flowers

« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2014, 02:55:06 pm »
This might be fun to watch.

SPQR

« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2014, 04:22:57 pm »
Meanwhile the DA should be pursuing charges against his ex-lover for illegally wiretapping their conversation.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2014, 04:27:44 pm »
It will be interesting to see what the appeals process judge(s) think.

Is it possible for somebody to waive their own Freedom of Speech just because the NBA charter says so?

This is sanctioned extortion and blackmail, IMHO.

I hope he lives to successfully give the league and all those athletes...er, 'carjackers in shorts' the big finger.