Author Topic: Bundy stands by his 'better off' as slaves comments  (Read 18959 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Bundy stands by his 'better off' as slaves comments
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2014, 03:45:55 am »
There is no sanitized version when a person says a race of people had it better as slaves than they do now.

I honestly can't believe that people are still trying to defend this outlaw.

Exactly.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Carling

« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2014, 03:47:10 am »
There was some of that no doubt but to say that EVERY slave owner engaged in such is an outright untruth!

Wow. 

I'm sure some pedophiles don't all physically abuse their prey/property, too!
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2014, 03:49:06 am »
Unfortunately it was also LEGAL!

Men having sex with other men is also legal.  Doesn't mean I'm going to partake in it.

Offline Carling

« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2014, 03:51:48 am »
Do you think the inner city blacks have freedom and opportunity?

Yes.  I went to college with, and have since worked with some very intelligent people who made their way out of the inner city.

Stop trying to justify the Bundy clown's racist views.  It does the right no good to be defending this guy.  I don't get it.

Offline Carling

« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2014, 03:57:28 am »
I think that the almost hysterical hyperbole that you, Loki and others are engaging some of us in - that one kind of slavery is miles worse than another kind of slavery - is kind of like saying having your leg cut off is so much worse than having your arm cut off! 

Wait, so you're equating life as another person's property to there people some poor blacks in cities? 

Are you for real on this?  It's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet.

Offline Carling

« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2014, 03:58:45 am »
BTW, there is a subtle yet very massive distinction between being a slave and being a Jew in a Nazi death camp, and to a degree, equating one to the other is demeaning to those Jews who spent time or died in Nazi death camps.

Slaves were property, valuable property to their owners.

Nazis didn't see a Jew's life as having even the most minimal value.

Very well stated.  One of the few sane things I've read in this thread.

Offline Carling

« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2014, 04:02:06 am »
Black people still are slaves, just a different kind of chains. Just like in the old days when their own tribal leaders sold them out, today their own people sell them out for personal gain. Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Wright, et al are nothing more than modern day slave traders.
Oh sure, there's the 5% that break their bonds, the Carsons, Thomas's, Wests, but they are few in numbers. For the most part, black people are happy to remain on the plantation.
Bundy is right, he just said it poorly.

In 17 years of post-collegiate professional jobs, I've had black managers, black VPs, worked on deals with black entrepreneurs, and not once did I note any chains on their bodies.

The liberal position is that conservatives want to put blacks back into slavery.

We now have conservatives defending some outlaw's view that blacks may have been better off without slavery.

My God, our side is so dumb on this stuff.

Offline Carling

« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2014, 04:04:42 am »
The right needs to run away from this buffoon ASAP.  I understand the frustration with the BLM, but there must be another rancher out there who isn't a dumber and more racist version of Jed Clampett that people could rally around. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:05:11 am by Carling »

Offline evadR

« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2014, 04:17:11 am »
The chains aren't literal so perhaps that's why you didn't see them.
I wish blacks would break away from the dem plantation (another figure of speech, not a literal plantation) but they seem to be happy there. We witness their bondage (not real bondage) every 2 years.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2014, 04:18:34 am »
Yes.  I went to college with, and have since worked with some very intelligent people who made their way out of the inner city.

Stop trying to justify the Bundy clown's racist views.  It does the right no good to be defending this guy.  I don't get it.

Anecdotes aren't very informative. There certainly are some inner city blacks who have succeeded - mostly the ones who were given the opportunity to get an education outside of the public schools. And there were black slave owners in colonial days, too. In fact, there still are a lot of those in Africa. There are also many slaves today in Asian countries like India.

It's time to get over the white American guilt from colonial days and work on today's problems. Getting all exercised over comments from a not too eloquent rancher is not a help. Particularly when those comments have been edited by the liberal press with the major intention of stirring up a firestorm. (I do so hate it when they win a battle like this so easily.)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2014, 04:21:10 am »
The chains aren't literal so perhaps that's why you didn't see them.
I wish blacks would break away from the dem plantation (another figure of speech, not a literal plantation) but they seem to be happy there. We witness their bondage (not real bondage) every 2 years.

Being in that allegorical plantation is a matter of their free choice, as opposed to real slaves being in real plantations.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2014, 04:22:52 am »
Anecdotes aren't very informative. There certainly are some inner city blacks who have succeeded - mostly the ones who were given the opportunity to get an education outside of the public schools. And there were black slave owners in colonial days, too. In fact, there still are a lot of those in Africa. There are also many slaves today in Asian countries like India.

It's time to get over the white American guilt from colonial days and work on today's problems. Getting all exercised over comments from a not too eloquent rancher is not a help. Particularly when those comments have been edited by the liberal press with the major intention of stirring up a firestorm. (I do so hate it when they win a battle like this so easily.)

I've seen both versions of the video.

The offensive comments remain offensive even in the full context of Bundy's remarks.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2014, 04:29:36 am »
BTW, there is a subtle yet very massive distinction between being a slave and being a Jew in a Nazi death camp, and to a degree, equating one to the other is demeaning to those Jews who spent time or died in Nazi death camps.

Slaves were property, valuable property to their owners.

Nazis didn't see a Jew's life as having even the most minimal value.

A very astute and absolutely true observation.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Carling

« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2014, 04:29:40 am »

First of all, I'll need some data to back up your claim.  My "anecdote" over 17 years is that pretty much every black person I've worked for, has worked for me, or was my peer, came from public schools and universities.  I'd like you to prove that most blacks who succeed went to private school, be it K-12 or post-HS.

Secondly, if they were still slaves, they wouldn't be an anecdote, because they'd be somebody's property, and not a VP of Marketing for a Fortune 500 company. 

I don't have white guilt, either.  I do find equating slavery to the modern black's current situation, or even saying it is worse for them now because some are on welfare, to be so out of step with what I consider a rational comparison that I can't wrap my head around how those making that argument can't see how ridiculous it is.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:36:09 am by Carling »

Offline Carling

« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2014, 04:33:13 am »
Regardless of Bundy's idiotic (my thought) comments, I don't understand why people would need to rally around him for this.  Let the guy have his un-PC views, and just leave him be.  Trying to justify his comments is a losing endeavor, politically. 

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2014, 04:34:54 am »
Wow! 

This was a great thread to come back and follow....glad it wasn't locked!  (was shooting 9-ball)

Good job people!     :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2014, 04:40:06 am »
Wow! 

This was a great thread to come back and follow....glad it wasn't locked!  (was shooting 9-ball)

I couldn't agree more!  :beer:

Maybe one day I'll come up there and teach you how to play that game.  :bolt:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:53:13 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

SPQR

« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2014, 04:44:11 am »
Even though I believe in Mr. Bundy, he needs to get a media representative that will speak for Mr. Bundy. He really stepped in it this time.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:46:53 am by SPQR »

Offline Carling

« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2014, 04:50:50 am »
Even though I believe in Mr. Bundy, he needs to get a media representative that will speak for Mr. Bundy. He really stepped in it this time.

There is no coming back from this, no matter what sort of brilliant point some seem to think he was making.  You're not going to convince a majority of the public that blacks are worse off now than when they were enslaved.  Best for the far right to just drop this guy and distance themselves from him.  Move on and find a rancher who is anti-BLM, but actually plays by the rules and doesn't talk like Archie Bunker's cowboy brother. 

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2014, 12:18:47 pm »
Conservatives should never never speak to the media  **nononono*
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2014, 12:21:50 pm »

I think that the almost hysterical hyperbole that you, Loki and others are engaging some of us in - that one kind of slavery is miles worse than another kind of slavery - is kind of like saying having your leg cut off is so much worse than having your arm cut off!  Like I said, try telling that black child in Chicago, "Hey, at least you're not chained up and beaten, owned by another human being" - although in some houses, children are having to endure that very same thing. 

Do you know there are many, many children sold into human trafficking - right here in this country?  You say that poor blacks have the option to leave that terrible city....I would say that it would be almost as difficult for some of them to do so as it would be for them to try to "escape the plantation". 

I am offended that you feel you need to "explain" the evil of slavery to those of us that insist of saying that we don't think Bundy is an evil racist - that we think the media is using him for their own EVIL (and I mean TRULY evil) means.  That we think Mr. Bundy is an old man from a different generation that says things that ever-so-enlightened-modern-sophisticated-people equate to condoning slavery and that these enlightened people must explain it to us bigots that think it's no big thang. 

The fact that we're having this conversation tells me that there ain't no way in hell we're going to win any elections this fall or in 2016.  The liberal progressive media has completely succeeded in tearing us apart - we are, and we will remain "slaves" until we stop letting the media scare us into submission.  Well, I refuse to be shackled by political correctness and the palpable fear of being called a racist any longer!

Screw the distractions all to hell people - get back on topic.  The government is too big, too powerful, too greedy, too power-hungry, TOO EVIL!  This is the enemy!

:hands:
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2014, 12:24:02 pm »
I couldn't agree more!  :beer:

Maybe one day I'll come up there and teach you how to play that game.  :bolt:

:beer:  LOL!

Been playing most of my adult life and you could probably STILL kick my a$$.  :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline evadR

« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »
Being in that allegorical plantation is a matter of their free choice, as opposed to real slaves being in real plantations.
Absolutely! No question about that.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2014, 01:02:43 pm »
Wow! 

I find it fascinating that this is an issue in which I disagree with the good people I usually agree with, and agree with the people I have more disagreements with (though I agree with, and disagree with every single person on some issues).  Also, I find it fascinating that I agree with Glenn Beck (with whom I frequently disagree) on this, and think we should run as far away from this guy, Bundy, as we can.

(And I don't think those who agree with me here are particular fans of Beck, eh?  :dx1:)

I ADORE the free and spirited exchange of ideas, and I HATE "groupthink."

There has been NO "hysteria" nor "hyperbole" on this thread.  It has been emotionally charged, but never out of control (not even close, actually).

We all need to do serious thinking about racism.  The left has destroyed the very meaning of the word.  They have controlled the message, maligned every single one of us on this forum, lied, distorted, and filled the conversation with hate-filled lies about us.

That does not, however, mean that we should not address the real problems with race relations in this country, and work for reconciliation.  That does not mean that we shouldn't address the mess that the left has created among the black community with the 'slavery' of the welfare state.   Many blacks have chosen to stay dependent, many black women have chosen to have multiple children out of wedlock to get more money.  Many black men have chosen to abandon their families.

These are not unsolvable issues, but they are issues that require moral, conservative, small-government leadership, and that require the Church to be the Church, and Christians to behave as we are commanded to behave (I indict myself in that accusation).

There are solutions.  But that doesn't mean that we should not have the discussion.  The left tries to silence dissent.  We should not.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:04:29 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2014, 01:08:40 pm »
There are still a load of people who can tell you exactly what being a slave is like.

You can tell them by the tattooed numbers on their right arms.
The fact of the matter is that America takes the brunt of the ills of slavery even though we abolished it 150 years ago, while several countries maintain that despicable practice, today. It's interesting to note that the majority of slave holding countries are also Muzzie governed countries.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.