Author Topic: Video: Rand Paul goes “behind enemy lines” at Berkeley?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline katzenjammer

Re: Video: Rand Paul goes “behind enemy lines” at Berkeley?
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 08:40:37 pm »
Rand Paul:

"I am 100% pro-life. I believe life begins at conception and that abortion takes the life of an innocent human being. It is the duty of our government to protect this life as a right guaranteed under the Constitution. For this reason, I introduced S. 583, the Life at Conception Act on March 14, 2013. This bill would extend the Constitutional protection of life to the unborn from the time of conception."

http://www.paul.senate.gov/?p=issue&id=3

Both Rand Paul and his father are staunchly pro-life.  They are libertarians with a small "l", not a capital "L".  I don't know the Libertarian party stance on abortion.  I consider myself a libertarian because I believe in the rights of the individual - including the unborn individual.  Many libertarians I know feel the same way.

I am with you on that Alice, and all the libertarians I know also feel the same way.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 09:35:00 pm »
The appeal of Rand Paul is a "third way" which attracts agreement from right, left and center.

His soft but sure delivery is clever. He discusses without stern lecturing.

BTW Rand was wearing blue jeans and cowboy boots while giving that talk. Waist up white button down shirt with red tie. Ralph Lauren Polo brand shirt with pony logo.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 12:04:12 am »
Rand Paul's political outlook is exactly what small government, low tax, balance-the-budget conservatives say they crave. Yet, you watch. They'll slam him for his libertarian social and foreign policy stances. As conservatives and Republicans we wouldn't recognize a good constitutionalist politician if he were wearing a waistcoat, breeches, long stockings and a tri-corner hat!

I hate to have to agree with you, but I have to agree

Oceander

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 12:10:06 am »
Rand Paul:

"I am 100% pro-life. I believe life begins at conception and that abortion takes the life of an innocent human being. It is the duty of our government to protect this life as a right guaranteed under the Constitution. For this reason, I introduced S. 583, the Life at Conception Act on March 14, 2013. This bill would extend the Constitutional protection of life to the unborn from the time of conception."

http://www.paul.senate.gov/?p=issue&id=3

Both Rand Paul and his father are staunchly pro-life.  They are libertarians with a small "l", not a capital "L".  I don't know the Libertarian party stance on abortion.  I consider myself a libertarian because I believe in the rights of the individual - including the unborn individual.  Many libertarians I know feel the same way.

that's a good way to shoot himself in the foot.  it's also a good way to blow valuable political capital on something that will never, ever, ever, ever happen; pass that silly law and it'll be struck down by a court before the ink is even dry on the president's signature, assuming any president would be dumb enough to sign it.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 01:46:59 am »
The appeal of Rand Paul is a "third way" which attracts agreement from right, left and center.

His soft but sure delivery is clever. He discusses without stern lecturing.

BTW Rand was wearing blue jeans and cowboy boots while giving that talk. Waist up white button down shirt with red tie. Ralph Lauren Polo brand shirt with pony logo.

How do you think the GOP establishment will handle his desire to seek the nomination?  That is, if he enters the fray for 2016, do you think they will try to take him out?

(I agree with your assessment of him, BTW.)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 02:02:45 am »
How do you think the GOP establishment will handle his desire to seek the nomination?  That is, if he enters the fray for 2016, do you think they will try to take him out?

I don't think the establishment will like it.  I'm not sure how easy he would be to "take out".  I think he's already thought that through and well prepared for it.  He seems to be laying the groundwork for a run, and I think he is amassing favors from the establishment.  Endorsing Mitch McConnell, for one thing. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 03:16:23 am »
I don't think the establishment will like it.  I'm not sure how easy he would be to "take out".  I think he's already thought that through and well prepared for it.  He seems to be laying the groundwork for a run, and I think he is amassing favors from the establishment.  Endorsing Mitch McConnell, for one thing. 

which is just another good reason to favor him.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2014, 05:59:42 am »

I agree that he certainly has been doing that, it will be interesting to watch it all unfold.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2014, 10:19:30 am »

What's his foreign policy. If he doesn't have some clear water between himself and his old man, he doesn't stand a chance. He seems likable enough, which would go a long way to mending some of the bridges the Worm has burned world wide, but is he also tough enough to make the call if needed?
He will certainly be more popular with college kids. Youngish, doesn't talk down to them and, to be honest, most college age kids are more libertarian than liberal.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2014, 12:26:17 pm »
What's his foreign policy. If he doesn't have some clear water between himself and his old man, he doesn't stand a chance. He seems likable enough, which would go a long way to mending some of the bridges the Worm has burned world wide, but is he also tough enough to make the call if needed?
He will certainly be more popular with college kids. Youngish, doesn't talk down to them and, to be honest, most college age kids are more libertarian than liberal.

Gave that some thought. You're absolutely right. It's their professors that are liberal. They simply parrot their professors just to get through the course and many experiment with liberal ideology just as they do with sex, alcohol and drugs. Then they grow up, get a job and vote their wallet.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2014, 12:41:38 pm »
Professors (in the fuzzier subjects, at least) are nearly always liberal. They have tenure, no particular requirement to perform, and removing them takes a kilo of C4 or a co-operative undergrad.  :whistle:

That pisses me off. It's not as if the world is getting less crowded. Sociology, Psychology, History - all are rather more important to the future than the next gen iPhone. Yet we leave them to be taught (badly) by people who haven't had an original thought since they dropped that tab in 1968.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2014, 10:49:30 pm »

Unlike many posters, I don't believe in a singular GOPe.  There are individuals and institutions which are part of the GOP  side of the political spectrum.

They will act individually. If Rand has momentum many will NOT attempt to "take him out."

He has polled among the best so far. No reason to think he'd falter.

I don't agree with him on some issues, but I like his mind. I expect a Potus to lead me, even when I disagree initially.

Walker, Perry and Rand Paul would probably be my top three right now.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2014, 10:51:40 pm »

Same feeling here!   :beer:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2014, 11:16:32 pm »
Unlike many posters, I don't believe in a singular GOPe.  There are individuals and institutions which are part of the GOP  side of the political spectrum.

They will act individually. If Rand has momentum many will NOT attempt to "take him out."

I don't agree with him on some issues, but I like his mind. I expect a Potus to lead me, even when I disagree initially.

I think that you are correct in that it won't be a monolithic effort.  If he does decide to enter, it will certainly be very interesting to watch how the various institutions and individuals will react.

Oceander

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 11:56:21 pm »

:beer: