Author Topic: STOP SMOKING?  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
Re: STOP SMOKING?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 10:45:43 pm »
  I had my first smoke in 1948. Didnt know how to smoke really . I started smoking for real when I was 12 and smoked for 50 or so years . I tried to quit about 20 or 30 times butt gave them up cold turkey about 8 years ago.
  I'm still amazed at what I put myself through to "learn" to smoke .  When I started it was cool..

Ain't that the truth? Hell, even Rod Serling had the smoke going during his opening to the Twilight Zone!

And, you're right. Learning to smoke Pall Mall unfiltered cigarettes was a bitch!
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 10:47:54 pm »
I was a two pack a day smoker but actually hated smoking...wanted to quit so bad but didn't want the patches.
I bought plastic straws, cut them in half and smoked them for a couple of weeks.  Weren't anything but air but it put me through the motion of smoking, plus, I put a rubber band on my arm and snapped it for something to do with my hands.  It took a couple of weeks but I made it.  That was fifteen years ago.  I could still smoke but, wow...I will not pay for them!

"It's not weird if it works!!"

Congratulations!
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 10:49:57 pm »
Back in 1968...played a lot of pinochle  and somebody bet dinner for two (one couple) at the restaurant of one's choice for the 1st person to stop smoking.

At the time I was opening up and stocking four different stores at a new regional mall sitting in the middle of a freaking 250 acre cornfield.

Started at sunrise and went home at midnight.....for about two weeks.

Nothing was open in the mall...some places didn't even have electricity yet.

We'd send the stockboys out for hotdogs and burgers, etc......it was the easiest bet to win when you don't have access.

Haven't smoked...(tobacco) since.  LOL!

Malls will be a popular hunting ground for Zombies when the apocalypse hits.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 11:59:51 pm »

Haven't smoked...(tobacco) since.  LOL!

Me too!    :smokin:   :whistle:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline TheMom

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 03:17:14 am »
I have quit smoking twice, both times cold turkey.

The first time was after ten years of smoking ~ I quit because I became pregnant.  I did not smoke for seven years, although the cravings never went away.

Five years later I quit again due to medication I was prescribed (on a side note - the medication did not agree with my body and I quit taking it after two months).  That go round lasted four years; one evening while alone at my dad's place, before he passed away, my brain said 'I want a cigarette', I went and bought a pack and the rest was history.  That was ten years ago.

On Monday I decided that it is time to quit again (which I will do once those four packs are gone).  In this past year I have had bronchitis three time ~ which I know is partially a result of smoking.  Plus, geez it is hard to find a decent place to have a smoke!  I will do as I have with the other times and go cold turkey.

On a separate note - last June (06-12-13) my husband had a major heart attack, which was brought on by genetics, stress, diet and smoking.   While stuck in the hospital he bitched, moaned and complained about wanting a cigarette.  I went to the local drug store and bought him the temporary e-cigs ~ which not only held him over, but received the approval of his cardiologist and the nursing staff.  Ten months later, my husband has not had a 'real' cigarette.   He is puffing the heck out of those e-cigs, but not a 'real' cigarette.  Today he said with the next order of e-cig replacements he will get some with zero nicotine.

My $0.02 worth regarding e-cigs and those that want to ban them . . . (1) the multi million dollar "quit smoking" industry (that really doesn't work) is losing money, therefore pitching a bitch; (2) oops! the anti-smoking BS folks have realize that those things work and damn we are going to loose a crap ton of tax money; (3) Smoke Nazi's are just not happy in general.

I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 03:24:11 am »
Few times I felt 'weak' and needed a smoke, I'd remember what those dirty ashtrays smelled like in hot, soapy dishwater.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 03:41:50 am »
I was a two pack a day smoker but actually hated smoking...wanted to quit so bad but didn't want the patches.
I bought plastic straws, cut them in half and smoked them for a couple of weeks.  Weren't anything but air but it put me through the motion of smoking, plus, I put a rubber band on my arm and snapped it for something to do with my hands.  It took a couple of weeks but I made it.  That was fifteen years ago.  I could still smoke but, wow...I will not pay for them!

A friend's mother did exactly the same thing, and it worked like a charm (although my friend said she used to get a little embarrassed when mom pulled out the pack of straws).

Personally, I quit once for 1 year and a half when my daughter was born, and quit again on April 1, 2009, so it's been almost 5 years now, and so far no real urges to go start up again.

Someone mentioned getting a "raise" by quitting: don't I know it.  The final thing that finally pushed me to quit when I did was paying $10 for a pack of cigarettes.  They're now about $12 a pack in NYC (where I live now they're still about $10 a pack).  I smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day, so I figure that, including the number of sodas and cups of coffee I no longer buy - I always had to have something to drink when I smoked - I figure I've been saving myself about $5,000 a year, which means that by April 1 of this year I will have saved about $25,000 by not smoking for the past 5 years.

Offline happyg

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 12:12:06 pm »
I'm a smoker. I bought an electric cig maker, so the cost is around $7 a carton or less (Ohio). I have Chantix ($236) that I'm going to try next week. Too much going on this week. My son, who lives in NY is a smoker ($10 a pack). I bought him the machine, too, but he prefers those small Marlboros, so I'm still spending money sending them to him at $5 a pack. I offered him Chantix so we can quit together. Fingers crossed, and lots of prayers!

My sisters quit 20 plus years ago, and still have the urge. I need to find another bad habit.  **nononono*

Offline Howie66

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 01:04:58 pm »

I figure I've been saving myself about $5,000 a year, which means that by April 1 of this year I will have saved about $25,000 by not smoking for the past 5 years.

I trust that you have reported this "income" to the IRS?

Offline Howie66

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 01:07:50 pm »
I have quit smoking twice, both times cold turkey.

The first time was after ten years of smoking ~ I quit because I became pregnant.  I did not smoke for seven years, although the cravings never went away.

Five years later I quit again due to medication I was prescribed (on a side note - the medication did not agree with my body and I quit taking it after two months).  That go round lasted four years; one evening while alone at my dad's place, before he passed away, my brain said 'I want a cigarette', I went and bought a pack and the rest was history.  That was ten years ago.

On Monday I decided that it is time to quit again (which I will do once those four packs are gone).  In this past year I have had bronchitis three time ~ which I know is partially a result of smoking.  Plus, geez it is hard to find a decent place to have a smoke!  I will do as I have with the other times and go cold turkey.

On a separate note - last June (06-12-13) my husband had a major heart attack, which was brought on by genetics, stress, diet and smoking.   While stuck in the hospital he bitched, moaned and complained about wanting a cigarette.  I went to the local drug store and bought him the temporary e-cigs ~ which not only held him over, but received the approval of his cardiologist and the nursing staff.  Ten months later, my husband has not had a 'real' cigarette.   He is puffing the heck out of those e-cigs, but not a 'real' cigarette.  Today he said with the next order of e-cig replacements he will get some with zero nicotine.

My $0.02 worth regarding e-cigs and those that want to ban them . . . (1) the multi million dollar "quit smoking" industry (that really doesn't work) is losing money, therefore pitching a bitch; (2) oops! the anti-smoking BS folks have realize that those things work and damn we are going to loose a crap ton of tax money; (3) Smoke Nazi's are just not happy in general.

WOW! The way that these idiots in Gubmint are attacking the e-cigs is totally nuts! You would think that these people would endorse and encourage people to use them.   :thud:

Oceander

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 01:22:27 pm »
I trust that you have reported this "income" to the IRS?

:bigsilly:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 01:31:02 pm »
I'm a smoker. I bought an electric cig maker, so the cost is around $7 a carton or less (Ohio). I have Chantix ($236) that I'm going to try next week. Too much going on this week. My son, who lives in NY is a smoker ($10 a pack). I bought him the machine, too, but he prefers those small Marlboros, so I'm still spending money sending them to him at $5 a pack. I offered him Chantix so we can quit together. Fingers crossed, and lots of prayers!

My sisters quit 20 plus years ago, and still have the urge. I need to find another bad habit.  **nononono*

I hope you have better luck with Chantix than I did...after I started the 2nd week with the additional pill I was walking into walls...literally!

Your sisters are right...after 6 years I still crave them and every once in a while I find myself looking for my lighter and cigs at my desk...lol

Good luck...as you can see by all the posts quitting can be done...but it does take strong will power to achieve it.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 01:38:26 pm »
I started when I was about 16 when a pack was about 50 cents. I quit when they hit a dollar a pack at age 25.    I was thinking who is crazy enough to pay a dollar a pack?   What are they now?   $8.31 a pack here in Washington.    If I would ask someone how would they like to get a $3000 raise this year, everyone would say “ hell yea”.   Well all they have to do is stop smoking.

$14 in New York City. If that isn't incentive to quit I don't know what could be.

I quit after my right lung collapsed while jogging back in 1973. Flirted with it off and on, mostly off, a few years after that.

Grateful to be a non-smoker. Damn, who could possibly afford $14 a pack?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 01:59:53 pm »
I believe they're still somewhere around $4-5 a pack in W.Va. Come here to buy your cigs, smokers, we need the revenue!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Howie66

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 02:31:32 pm »
I started this topic because this week I began my "Quit". I started smoking 48 years ago and have tried to quit on several occasions to no avail. I made up my mind, that this time I am going to do it, once and for all.

Over the course of the past month, I have been having exams covering ever aspect of my health and physical condition. I have no issues with mobility, flexibility or even stamina. So far, my 62 year old body is holding up better that it should be considering all the abuse (diet, alcohol, smoking) I have put it through. I was diagnosed with diabetes (type 2) 6 1/2 years ago, but have gotten that under control through changing diet and cutting out the excessive drinking. I do enjoy a nice glass of red wine, daily (heart), but that's about it.

I figure that quitting smoking is something that I can do to reward myself. My goal is to stick around long enough to be a real pain in the ass to my kids and to blow through their inheritance.

Reading all of your comments has been a joy and a help. Y'all have given me an added perspective and motivation.

Thank You for sharing your experiences and giving me something to think about!

Oceander

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2014, 02:45:34 pm »
$14 in New York City. If that isn't incentive to quit I don't know what could be.

I quit after my right lung collapsed while jogging back in 1973. Flirted with it off and on, mostly off, a few years after that.

Grateful to be a non-smoker. Damn, who could possibly afford $14 a pack?

Apparently quite a few people still can; unless they're traveling out of state to buy them, or rolling their own.  At those prices it might just make sense for someone to drive to WV, fill the trunk and back seat with cartons of cigarettes - tastefully reboxed as something else, just in case the NYPD nannies get nosy - and drive back.  If the going price in WV is $5/pack, that makes a $9/pack differential.  NYC to Martinsburg, WV is about 270 miles each way, so assume 560 miles total round trip.  If we took my car, a '99 Mercury Grand Marquis that gets about 25mpg at 60-65mph, that works out to 23 gallons (rounded up) for the round trip.  The current price of a gallon of premium gas along I-81 in PA is approximately $3.80 right now (I get too many knocks if I don't run premium).  That works out to fuel costs of $87.40 - round it to $90.  However, there are tolls to be paid as well coming out of, and going back into, NYC along I-78 (we're taking I-81 to avoid the tolls, and traffic, on the NJ Turnpike).  A quickie google indicates that tolls roundtrip will probably be about $20.  Timewise, the drive itself will take about 5 hours each way, and buying the smokes and loading the car is likely to take about 2 hours (I'm guessing here), for a total time commitment of about 12 hours - tiring, but I've done worse before - so we'll assume that we don't stay overnight anywhere on the road.  We will have to eat, though, and get drinks and noshes for the ride.  For one person, I'm going to guess that we're looking at two meals (that's what I've usually done on long trips like that), plus at least 3 or 4 big sodas and a large bag of doritos (ranch flavored, of course).  All in, I'm going to budget $30 for meals and noshes round trip.

That brings our total estimated costs for a round trip to Martinsburg, WV for smokes - assuming we go with prevailing traffic and don't get any speeding tickets!!! - to be about $140, which I will again round up to $150 just to be conservative (and who knows, I might want to sneak in a third meal!).  I'm going to leave out depreciation on the car as well as apportioned values for insurance and the like - those are sunk costs that I would have paid anyways and I'm really just interested in marginal costs here.

Which brings us to the whole point of the exercise:  how many packs of cigarettes would we have to buy to make the trip worthwhile?  Since we're smokers I'm going to assume that we smoke two packs of cigarettes on the drive (that's probably what I would have smoked back in the day), so those two have to be factored in.  Well, the price differential is $9 per pack, and $150 / $9 = 16.67, which rounds to 17; adding in those two we smoked on the trip means that - assuming we don't mind the ride - we would have to buy 19 packs of cigarettes in Martinsburg to make the trip just break even.  That's right, it's less expensive to drive to Martinsburg, WV from NYC to buy two cartons of cigarettes - 20 measly packs - than it is to just buy them in NYC.  A banker's box should be able to hold 10 cartons of cigarettes, and my car can hold about 22 banker's boxes in the trunk and back seat combined.  So, we could fit about 220 cartons, or about 2,200 packs, of cigarettes in my car.  If we take out 2 cartons - 20 packs - of cigarettes to cover the costs incurred, that leaves us with about 2,180 packs' worth of pure profit at $9/pack, for a total profit of about $19,620.  That's not bad for a day's work mostly spent driving on the interstate, listening to the radio and smoking as you please.

Of course, that sort of profit is unrealistic unless one wants to get into the smuggling racket because unloading that many packs of cigarettes at $14/pack will be difficult, particularly since they don't carry the NYS tax stamps.  Still, if we take a 50% haircut on account of the difficulties and risks of selling cigarettes without NYS tax stamps, we still have a net profit of about $9,800 - still not too bad for a day's work.

Organized crime has figured this out as well.  Here's a story from 2012 about VA's concerns with increased cigarette smuggling:

Virginia crime panel examining cigarette trafficking
 By Larry O'Dell
The Associated Press
© September 5, 2012   

RICHMOND

Cigarette smuggling has become so lucrative that organized crime is getting involved, and many former drug dealers have switched to peddling contraband smokes instead of narcotics, the Virginia State Crime Commission was told Wednesday.

The General Assembly last winter directed the commission to study illegal cigarette trafficking and make recommendations before the 2013 legislative session, which begins in January. The commission's staff conducted the investigation and will present its recommendations at the next meeting in November.

G. Stewart Petoe, the commission's legal affairs director, said the amount of money cigarette smugglers can make is staggering. That's because they can buy a pack of premium cigarettes for about $5.55 in Virginia and sell it for a big profit on the black market in New York City, where a higher cigarette excise tax pushes the retail price to about $14 a pack.

Smuggle enough cigarettes and the payday can be enormous. Petoe said a federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agent estimated that a car can carry 10 cases of cigarettes — there are 60 cartons in a case — with an estimated profit of $34,000. Upgrade to a van, and 50 cases can turn a $170,000 profit. A large truckload can haul 800 cases and net a profit of $4 million.

Petoe said he was stunned by a Virginia State Police agent's observation that bootlegged cigarettes now have a higher profit margin than cocaine, heroin, marijuana or guns.

"It has just become irresistible for organized crime, and when they come to Virginia, they will bring ancillary violent crime with them," Petoe said.

He added that drug dealers are switching to smokes not only for the money, but also because they face less prison time if they're caught.

Petoe said cigarette smuggling is booming because many states, particularly those north of Virginia, have increased their cigarette excise taxes in recent years. Virginia — the nation's fifth-largest tobacco producer and home of its most prolific cigarette factory — has the country's second-lowest tax: $3 per carton. The tax is $43.50 in New York state and $58.50 in New York City.

According to Petoe, a recent study found that 30 percent of all cigarettes in New York City came from out of state — and of those, 71 percent were from Virginia.

"As the second-lowest tax state, we're setting ourselves up to be complicit," said state Sen. Janet Howell, D-Fairfax, who added that she wasn't necessarily suggesting a tax increase.

Petoe said one of the simplest and fastest-growing methods of bootlegging is called "smurfing." Individual smugglers or small groups buy cartons of cigarettes at multiple locations throughout the day, then haul them out of state for resale on the black market.

Commission staff members conducting the study hung out for a while at a convenience store off Interstate 95 in the Richmond area, Petoe said, and watched one customer get out of a car and buy five cartons of cigarettes and return to the vehicle. Then another person got out of the car and did the same thing.

"It's very clear what they were doing," Petoe said.

Some cigarette traffickers seeking to maximize their illicit gains have established bogus retail operations so they can buy in bulk from wholesalers, Petoe said. He added that there are myriad other schemes involving forged tax stamps, selling cigarettes "off the books" to evade taxes, international smuggling and importing counterfeit cigarettes.

"The ingenuity of criminals is flabbergasting," Petoe said.

The commission also began examining whether the state needs to improve the process for gathering forensic evidence from sexual assault victims who are incapable of giving consent for the testing, but no recommendations were made.

here's my favorite takeaway from the article:

Petoe said he was stunned by a Virginia State Police agent's observation that bootlegged cigarettes now have a higher profit margin than cocaine, heroin, marijuana or guns.

Pretty amazing, isn't it.  The Nanny fascists in NY have basically created a welfare-for-mobsters with their insane taxes.

Oceander

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2014, 02:47:17 pm »
I started this topic because this week I began my "Quit". I started smoking 48 years ago and have tried to quit on several occasions to no avail. I made up my mind, that this time I am going to do it, once and for all.

Over the course of the past month, I have been having exams covering ever aspect of my health and physical condition. I have no issues with mobility, flexibility or even stamina. So far, my 62 year old body is holding up better that it should be considering all the abuse (diet, alcohol, smoking) I have put it through. I was diagnosed with diabetes (type 2) 6 1/2 years ago, but have gotten that under control through changing diet and cutting out the excessive drinking. I do enjoy a nice glass of red wine, daily (heart), but that's about it.

I figure that quitting smoking is something that I can do to reward myself. My goal is to stick around long enough to be a real pain in the ass to my kids and to blow through their inheritance.

Reading all of your comments has been a joy and a help. Y'all have given me an added perspective and motivation.

You can absolutely do it.  Best thing I did was to stop doing the things I most associated with smoking - like going out for a walk in the early morning to get a cup of coffee and a newspaper and smoke on the way there and on the way back - and find other things to do to keep yourself occupied.

Hang tough, you'll do it!

Offline Howie66

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2014, 02:57:01 pm »
You can absolutely do it.  Best thing I did was to stop doing the things I most associated with smoking - like going out for a walk in the early morning to get a cup of coffee and a newspaper and smoke on the way there and on the way back - and find other things to do to keep yourself occupied.

Hang tough, you'll do it!

Thanks! I'm doing better this time than any prior efforts! I think that I have learned from my past mistakes/failures, but it helps to know that others have done so with success.

:beer: :patriot:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2014, 02:58:49 pm »

I will say a prayer for your success Howie.  I'll tell you how I quit.  Everyone says cold turkey is the best way to go, but I weaned myself off and it really worked.  First, I told myself that I could smoke anywhere except for when I was driving.  I determined that was the easiest place for me to start giving up - it may be different for you. After a week or so, I was good with that - couldn't wait to get out of the car to smoke, but I had proven to myself that I was able to do that. 

Then, I kept cutting places I could smoke - the last places that were left for me were my desk at work (back in the days you could still smoke in your office) and restaurants and bars.  Bars were the last place for me to quit, and the hardest.  But I was able to do it eventually.  I think because of the method I used, I am still able - to this day - to bum a cigarette about once a month and smoke it with no ill effects.  My doctor told me if that is all I smoke - don't worry about it. 

My husband said that method would never work for him and most ex-smokers I know say it's cold turkey or nothing.  But this worked for me.  Good luck!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2014, 03:01:57 pm »
The best part is once you get over the cravings – which, admittedly, last years – you don't miss it ever again. I equate it to missing getting hit in the head with a ball peen hammer 20 or 30 times a day.  It's not something you miss.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:04:45 pm by aligncare »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2014, 03:08:07 pm »
There is evidence here of a federal crime, interstate tobacco trafficking. That could get attention from ATF officers.

Seriously here is another resource. This Englishman named Allen Carr wrote a book, which several people I know, swear by. It is an informed cold-turkey method.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2014, 03:18:03 pm »
Something else that helps.

Self talk or self reinforcement. Run a tape in your head on all the reasons why you hate smoking. Run it over and over again whenever you get a craving.

Talk to people about why you hate smoking. Become a real dick about non-smoking – screw smokers' opinions.

You have a chance at becoming a non-smoker. Don't lose that battle. Save your life, man. Take control and save your own life.

Smoking kills you, a "silly little millimeter" at a time.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2014, 03:30:57 pm »
I will say a prayer for your success Howie.  I'll tell you how I quit.  Everyone says cold turkey is the best way to go, but I weaned myself off and it really worked.  First, I told myself that I could smoke anywhere except for when I was driving.  I determined that was the easiest place for me to start giving up - it may be different for you. After a week or so, I was good with that - couldn't wait to get out of the car to smoke, but I had proven to myself that I was able to do that. 

Then, I kept cutting places I could smoke - the last places that were left for me were my desk at work (back in the days you could still smoke in your office) and restaurants and bars.  Bars were the last place for me to quit, and the hardest.  But I was able to do it eventually.  I think because of the method I used, I am still able - to this day - to bum a cigarette about once a month and smoke it with no ill effects.  My doctor told me if that is all I smoke - don't worry about it. 

My husband said that method would never work for him and most ex-smokers I know say it's cold turkey or nothing.  But this worked for me.  Good luck!

Thank you, Ma'am! I quit smoking while in my truck when I bought it brand new, 5 years ago. I had never bought a new vehicle and never will again. But, smoking in it was something that I simply made up my mind to not do. We have lived in our house for 19 years now, and I have never smoked in it as a show of respect to my wife who has never smoked. So, my places to smoke were already limited. I have to say that the more limitations, the better.

Right now, I'm just handling the urges as they come. I am determined to beat this thing. And, I will.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2014, 03:32:23 pm »
The best part is once you get over the cravings – which, admittedly, last years – you don't miss it ever again. I equate it to missing getting hit in the head with a ball peen hammer 20 or 30 times a day.  It's not something you miss.

Joe Biden likes getting hit in the brain housing group with a ball-peen hammer. That's how his plugs were installed.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2014, 03:34:38 pm »
Something else that helps.

Self talk or self reinforcement. Run a tape in your head on all the reasons why you hate smoking. Run it over and over again whenever you get a craving.

Talk to people about why you hate smoking. Become a real dick about non-smoking – screw smokers' opinions.

You have a chance at becoming a non-smoker. Don't lose that battle. Save your life, man. Take control and save your own life.

Smoking kills you, a "silly little millimeter" at a time.

Thank you for the encouraging words! Being a dick is something I can do quite well!   :whistle: