Author Topic: Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing En Route to China  (Read 72709 times)

Offline flowers

Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing En Route to China
« Reply #825 on: March 25, 2014, 05:55:48 pm »
SUICIDE!!??

Sounds more like mass murder.
yep!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #826 on: March 25, 2014, 06:20:04 pm »
'A shot in the dark': How a UK firm and a team of scientists used a nineteenth century mathematical model to track missing flight MH370 - and confirmed the worst fears of the families of all passengers and crew
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2588508/A-shot-dark-How-UK-firm-team-scientists-tracked-missing-flight-MH370-confirmed-worst-fears-families-passengers-crew.html
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Oceander

« Reply #827 on: March 25, 2014, 06:24:14 pm »
'A shot in the dark': How a UK firm and a team of scientists used a nineteenth century mathematical model to track missing flight MH370 - and confirmed the worst fears of the families of all passengers and crew
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2588508/A-shot-dark-How-UK-firm-team-scientists-tracked-missing-flight-MH370-confirmed-worst-fears-families-passengers-crew.html

essentially, the analysts were able to obtain data about the incoming signals that included doppler shift - the thing that makes an ambulance siren get high pitched as it approaches you, and lower pitched as it goes away from you.

That's pretty good; however, I'm interested in the fact that the records on the signals included the info necessary to detect the doppler shift; that would have required data showing the precise frequency of the received signal, because the doppler effect largely shows up in the frequency.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #828 on: March 25, 2014, 06:37:28 pm »
That's pretty good; however, I'm interested in the fact that the records on the signals included the info necessary to detect the doppler shift; that would have required data showing the precise frequency of the received signal, because the doppler effect largely shows up in the frequency.

I don't know much about civil aviation stuff, so grab a healthy pinch of salt with this.

IFF beacons - or transponders, if you will - are fixed frequency. You can't change it, they are set in the factory. You do have multiple codes, and ATC will normally ask you to set your transponder to a specific one when you go into their area, which relates to a specific frequency pairing. Ground asks, the transponder answers. Saves on battery life, rather than transmitting constantly.

Most ground based systems use the doppler shift to work out ground speed, since secondary radar is not that reliable and primary is pretty much useless at 50 miles out. No one trusts air speed indicators - they can block, frost up, or some bleep can forget to uncap them before you take off.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #829 on: March 25, 2014, 06:40:35 pm »
I don't know much about civil aviation stuff, so grab a healthy pinch of salt with this.

IFF beacons - or transponders, if you will - are fixed frequency. You can't change it, they are set in the factory. You do have multiple codes, and ATC will normally ask you to set your transponder to a specific one when you go into their area, which relates to a specific frequency pairing. Ground asks, the transponder answers. Saves on battery life, rather than transmitting constantly.

Most ground based systems use the doppler shift to work out ground speed, since secondary radar is not that reliable and primary is pretty much useless at 50 miles out. No one trusts air speed indicators - they can block, frost up, or some bleep can forget to uncap them before you take off.

The frequency shift would be detectable at the time the signal is received - obviously - but what I'm thinking of is that the logged data recorded maintained all of that info, including the precise frequency of the "ping" signal, not just a record of the fact it was received and the data it transmitted.

Of course, since the signals were received by satellites, the analysis becomes a real b*tch since one has to work out what part of the doppler shift is due to the satellite's motion and what to the aircraft's motion, and then you have to work it out as a set of vectors, not just a set of scalar numbers.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:41:37 pm by Oceander »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #830 on: March 25, 2014, 06:48:57 pm »
It is a technically very impressive feat. Hats off to them for that - always liked engineers. They hate puzzles!  :laugh:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #831 on: March 25, 2014, 07:18:01 pm »
The frequency shift would be detectable at the time the signal is received - obviously - but what I'm thinking of is that the logged data recorded maintained all of that info, including the precise frequency of the "ping" signal, not just a record of the fact it was received and the data it transmitted.

Of course, since the signals were received by satellites, the analysis becomes a real b*tch since one has to work out what part of the doppler shift is due to the satellite's motion and what to the aircraft's motion, and then you have to work it out as a set of vectors, not just a set of scalar numbers.

Here is a much more detailed explanation of the process used.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/24/flight-mh370-inmarsat-aaib-analysis

The ONLY way this was possible for them to do is the FACT that the satellite is motionless in relation to the earth's surface. (It remains over the EXACT same spot on the earth's surface all of the time.)

If the signals had been received by even one more satellite the process would have been GREATLY simplified.   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:20:29 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #832 on: March 25, 2014, 07:22:48 pm »

This has much more to do with their ability to measure time very precisely than the frequency of the received signal. 

If the plane had moved closer to the satellite since the previous signal was received the time it took for the signal to travel to the satellite would be a tiny bit less that the time the previous signal took to make the trip. If it had moved further away, just the opposite would be true. This is how telemetry measurements are taken in the space program and exactly how ranging works in radar systems. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:28:56 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #833 on: March 26, 2014, 01:52:49 pm »
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/air-accidents/news/article.cfm?c_id=665&objectid=11226334

Flight MH370: Pilot in wrong state of mind to fly - friend

By Lincoln Tan
11:10 AM Wednesday Mar 26, 2014

Captain facing family and relationship problems before plane disappeared.

Zaharie Ahmad Shah, his wife Faiza Khanum Mustafa Khan and their daughter, seen here in a Facebook photo from July 2013.

The captain of Flight 370 was in no state of mind to fly the day it disappeared and could have taken the Boeing 777 for a "last joyride" before crashing into the Indian Ocean, a fellow pilot says.

Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah's world was crumbling, said the long-time associate. He had been facing serious family problems, including separation from his wife and relationship problems with another woman he was seeing.

The man, who spoke to the Herald on condition of anonymity, said Captain Zaharie was "terribly upset" when his wife told him she was leaving and believed he may have decided to take the Malaysia Airlines plane to a part of the world he had never flown in.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline olde north church

« Reply #834 on: March 26, 2014, 02:04:28 pm »
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/air-accidents/news/article.cfm?c_id=665&objectid=11226334

Flight MH370: Pilot in wrong state of mind to fly - friend

By Lincoln Tan
11:10 AM Wednesday Mar 26, 2014

Captain facing family and relationship problems before plane disappeared.

Zaharie Ahmad Shah, his wife Faiza Khanum Mustafa Khan and their daughter, seen here in a Facebook photo from July 2013.

The captain of Flight 370 was in no state of mind to fly the day it disappeared and could have taken the Boeing 777 for a "last joyride" before crashing into the Indian Ocean, a fellow pilot says.

Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah's world was crumbling, said the long-time associate. He had been facing serious family problems, including separation from his wife and relationship problems with another woman he was seeing.

The man, who spoke to the Herald on condition of anonymity, said Captain Zaharie was "terribly upset" when his wife told him she was leaving and believed he may have decided to take the Malaysia Airlines plane to a part of the world he had never flown in.

continued

Blame the pilot.  Misdirection 101.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #835 on: March 26, 2014, 02:35:56 pm »
Right now, if the mole people crashed a prime time CNN broadcast and apologized for accidentally taking the plane because they thought Kim Kardashian was on board and wanted to see our advances in robotics, I would not be the slightest bit surprised.

Too many things don't add up.

Oceander

« Reply #836 on: March 26, 2014, 03:46:48 pm »
Right now, if the mole people crashed a prime time CNN broadcast and apologized for accidentally taking the plane because they thought Kim Kardashian was on board and wanted to see our advances in robotics, I would not be the slightest bit surprised.

that i'd love to see, even if just for the entertainment value!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #837 on: March 26, 2014, 04:56:46 pm »

It's when they start reversing the laws of physics to explain things that I am glad i have no more hair to tear out.  Black holes, a reversal of the space/time continuum, etc.  They don't even pretend to be journalists anymore.  They're marketers feeding the carefully nurtured psyches of their target markets.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #838 on: March 26, 2014, 06:02:47 pm »
Wife has just got back from Philly, and understandably, the missing flight was a massive topic of conversation between her colleagues, the flight deck, and several nervous passengers.

Nothing about it makes sense, at all.

Rising to 45,000 feet is possible. Pilots swap off about an hour into the flight, right on the time frame we are looking at. Captain or co-pilot, whoever takes the controls, first checks and enters course, altitude, etc into the autopilot. Since cruising altitude is usually 35,000 feet, it's theoretically possible for someone to punch in 45,000 feet by mistake. Only one number off, and the keypad is not all that big. Entry is supposed to be cross checked, but if the captain handed off to the far less experienced co-pilot and went for a piss, it is conceivable that the cross check didn't happen. Standard climb rate on autopilot is 800 feet per minute, so it would be slow and gradual. So far - it could be pilot error. The last known communication from the plane could be used as evidence for this - a 777 is not going to keep viable oxygen pressure above 40,000 feet and the last words - Goodnight - are the sort of thing someone suffering from hypoxia would say. You simply fall asleep.

Except,the 777 is designed to be pretty much bullet proof and idiot proof, for exactly that reason. Cabin pressure drops, you get a siren screaming at you in the cockpit AND over the PA system, the stick shakes (same as the stall warning), the autopilot disengages, and oxygen is automatically deployed while the cabin lights strobe on and off. None of those can be switched off. Even the dopiest pilot is going to notice that.

Further, transponders run as long as there is power to them. They simply can not be turned off by any action of any member of crew or any passenger. You physically can not get to them - they are in the unpressurized hold. They work on the challenge/response system, usually every 15 minutes if you are not in crowded airspace. Normally it's basic stuff sent - challenge is "hey, 331, you still there?" Response is "Yep. 36,000 feet, heading whatever, air speed 500." Again, totally automatic and it can not be affected by anything other than a catastrophic power failure of both the gennies and the back up batteries. The only real way to make a plane "disappear" is if someone on the ground changes the challenge frequency. They are pretty idiot proof, but they only hear what they are told to hear. A nice analogy the Captain used is imagine it's a phone system. You grab the phone, punch in a number and the person you want to talk to answers (or you get voice mail). Punch numbers in at random and you will not get the person you mean to talk to.

Then there is the whole course change thing. You don't turn a plane on a dime. If it is on autopilot, the full weight of an unconscious person on the stick or the rudder pedals will do exactly nothing except irritate the machinery that has to keep ignoring the input.

ATC also has it's input. While they might not be the sweating, swearing types from the Airport movies, they do tend to notice if they have lost a plane. That is their job, and they are double checked, as everything to do with flying is. It is very formal. When you change control zones, you are formally handed off from one to the next - and the first thing you do is confirm your transponder code to the new ATC center and reset it to whatever code they request (only so many numbers available, someone else might be on the same frequency).

This adds little to the discussion, but I thought you might find it interesting. The missus has a good memory and they were talking about it over a coffee. Think I got it all - she talks fast and usually not in English!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #839 on: March 26, 2014, 06:17:51 pm »
Satellite spots 122 possible objects in search

This graphic released by the Malaysian Remote Sensing Agency on Wednesday March 26, 2014, shows satellite imagery taken on
March 23, 2014, with the approximate positions of objects seen floating in the southern Indian Ocean in the search zone for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. Malaysian Defense Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said at a news conference in Kuala Lumpur Wednesday that a satellite has captured images of 122 objects close to where three other satellites previously detected objects. (AP Photo/Malaysian Remote Sensing Agency)

By TODD PITMAN and ROB GRIFFITH

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) -- A French satellite scanning the Indian Ocean for remnants of a missing jetliner found a possible plane debris field containing 122 objects, a top Malaysian official said Wednesday, calling it "the most credible lead that we have."
Defense Minister Hishammuddin Hussein also expressed exasperation with the anger rising among missing passengers' relatives in China, who berated Malaysian government and airline officials earlier in the day in Beijing. About two-thirds of the missing are Chinese, but Hishammuddin pointedly said that Chinese families "must also understand that we in Malaysia also lost our loved ones" as did "so many other nations."

Nineteen days into the search for Malaysian Airlines Flight 370, the latest satellite images are the first to suggest that a debris field from the plane - rather than just a few objects - may be floating in the southern Indian Ocean, though no wreckage has been confirmed. Previously, an Australian satellite detected two large objects and a Chinese satellite detected one.
All three finds were made in roughly the same area, far southwest of Australia, where a desperate, multinational hunt has been going on for days.

Clouds obscured the latest satellite images, but dozens of objects could be seen in the gaps, ranging in length from one meter (3 feet) to 23 meters (76 feet). At a news conference in Kuala Lumpur, Hishammuddin said some of them "appeared to be bright, possibly indicating solid materials."

The images were taken Sunday and relayed by French-based Airbus Defence and Space, a division of Europe's Airbus Group; its businesses include the operation of satellites and satellite communications. The company said in a statement that it has mobilized five observation satellites, including two that can produce very high resolution images, to help locate the plane.

Various floating objects have been spotted in the area by planes over the last week, including on Wednesday, when the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said three more objects were seen. The authority said two objects seen from a civil aircraft appeared to be rope, and that a New Zealand military plane spotted a blue object.

None of the objects were seen on a second pass, a frustration that has been repeated several times in the hunt for Flight 370, missing since March 8 with 239 people aboard.

Australian officials did not say whether they received the French imagery in time for search planes out at sea to look for the possible debris field, and did not return repeated phone messages seeking further comment.

It remains uncertain whether any of the objects seen came from the plane; they could have come from a cargo ship or something else.
The search resumed Wednesday after fierce winds and high waves forced crews to take a break Tuesday. A total of 12 planes and five ships from the United States, China, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand were participating in the search, hoping to find even a single piece of the jet that could offer tangible evidence of a crash and provide clues to find the rest of the wreckage.
Malaysia announced Monday that a mathematical analysis of the final known satellite signals from the plane showed that it had crashed in the sea, killing everyone on board.

The new data greatly reduced the search zone, but it remains huge - an area estimated at 1.6 million square kilometers (622,000 square miles), about the size of Alaska.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/03/26/satellite-spots-122-possible-objects-in-search/20856926/

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #840 on: March 26, 2014, 07:42:38 pm »
Wife has just got back from Philly, and understandably, the missing flight was a massive topic of conversation between her colleagues, the flight deck, and several nervous passengers.

Nothing about it makes sense, at all.

Rising to 45,000 feet is possible. Pilots swap off about an hour into the flight, right on the time frame we are looking at. Captain or co-pilot, whoever takes the controls, first checks and enters course, altitude, etc into the autopilot. Since cruising altitude is usually 35,000 feet, it's theoretically possible for someone to punch in 45,000 feet by mistake. Only one number off, and the keypad is not all that big. Entry is supposed to be cross checked, but if the captain handed off to the far less experienced co-pilot and went for a piss, it is conceivable that the cross check didn't happen. Standard climb rate on autopilot is 800 feet per minute, so it would be slow and gradual. So far - it could be pilot error. The last known communication from the plane could be used as evidence for this - a 777 is not going to keep viable oxygen pressure above 40,000 feet and the last words - Goodnight - are the sort of thing someone suffering from hypoxia would say. You simply fall asleep.

Except,the 777 is designed to be pretty much bullet proof and idiot proof, for exactly that reason. Cabin pressure drops, you get a siren screaming at you in the cockpit AND over the PA system, the stick shakes (same as the stall warning), the autopilot disengages, and oxygen is automatically deployed while the cabin lights strobe on and off. None of those can be switched off. Even the dopiest pilot is going to notice that.

Further, transponders run as long as there is power to them. They simply can not be turned off by any action of any member of crew or any passenger. You physically can not get to them - they are in the unpressurized hold. They work on the challenge/response system, usually every 15 minutes if you are not in crowded airspace. Normally it's basic stuff sent - challenge is "hey, 331, you still there?" Response is "Yep. 36,000 feet, heading whatever, air speed 500." Again, totally automatic and it can not be affected by anything other than a catastrophic power failure of both the gennies and the back up batteries. The only real way to make a plane "disappear" is if someone on the ground changes the challenge frequency. They are pretty idiot proof, but they only hear what they are told to hear. A nice analogy the Captain used is imagine it's a phone system. You grab the phone, punch in a number and the person you want to talk to answers (or you get voice mail). Punch numbers in at random and you will not get the person you mean to talk to.

Then there is the whole course change thing. You don't turn a plane on a dime. If it is on autopilot, the full weight of an unconscious person on the stick or the rudder pedals will do exactly nothing except irritate the machinery that has to keep ignoring the input.

ATC also has it's input. While they might not be the sweating, swearing types from the Airport movies, they do tend to notice if they have lost a plane. That is their job, and they are double checked, as everything to do with flying is. It is very formal. When you change control zones, you are formally handed off from one to the next - and the first thing you do is confirm your transponder code to the new ATC center and reset it to whatever code they request (only so many numbers available, someone else might be on the same frequency).

This adds little to the discussion, but I thought you might find it interesting. The missus has a good memory and they were talking about it over a coffee. Think I got it all - she talks fast and usually not in English!

EC, it never ceases to amaze me the variety of stuff you manage to come up with.

Offline flowers

« Reply #841 on: March 26, 2014, 09:04:09 pm »
Malaysia Airlines missing plane gave off unexplained final 'ping'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10722842/Malaysia-Airlines-missing-plane-gave-off-unexplained-final-ping.html

The crashed Malaysia Airlines flight gave one last unexplained signal eight minutes after its final “ping”, possibly the result of the plane entering its “catastrophic phase” as it plunged into the Indian Ocean, investigators have said.

As families of its 239 passengers demanded “proof” of the plane’s demise, Malaysian authorities presented analysis by Inmarsat, the British telecommunications company, of satellite data to explain its conclusion that the plane crashed into remote waters 18 days ago and left no survivors.

No confirmed wreckage from the plane has been found during a multinational air and sea search in waters about 1,500 miles south-west of Perth, Western Australia. The search was temporarily called off on Tuesday due to adverse weather.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #842 on: March 26, 2014, 09:08:13 pm »
EC, it never ceases to amaze me the variety of stuff you manage to come up with.

I had forgotten his wife is a flight attendent, or was that someone else?

I was already nervous about flying. Now I would not get on a plane.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #843 on: March 27, 2014, 12:31:57 am »
I had forgotten his wife is a flight attendent, or was that someone else?

I was already nervous about flying. Now I would not get on a plane.

She's been one since '97. Loves it (except for the jetlag.) Figure she especially loves getting away from the horde for a few days, but she's always been one for seeing what she can see! And yes, she has 38 hours in a small craft and is taking time to learn the big ones. She's got 12 hours on the 747 simulator so far! Kind of jealous.
Dad is an aerospace engineer and was originally an RAF armorer responsible for ejector seats. If you are flying and successfully stop on landing, you owe him, he designed the RB 211 thrust reverser. He likes payment in beer.
I just fly the damned things, which is amusing in it's own right. Can fly a fixed wing, just don't expect much left  on landing. Most will come out breathing - you can tell they are alive, they scream and run. Flames are optional.
A cousin flies C130's with the CAF, though he's retiring soon. He's pretty deaf now - they ain't quiet.
Another cousin crop dusts.
My aunt (the mother of the CAF pilot, she married a Canadian during the war) - she shuttled fighters (Hurricanes and Spitfires both) during the war. Has two confirmed kills to her credit.
Eldest grand daughter - she took over the hang glider and handles it like a pro. She competes now and loves every minute of it. We don't, watching her, she looks awfully small up there on her own.
Son in law is a base jumper (AKA idiot, in my book. You have to be an idiot to jump off a building.)
Another cousin flies F16's with the IAF. You should hear him swear at the name. He flies the C variant - code named Barak. It is not considered amusing right now.

Most of our family fly, in one way or another. It gets in the blood. Kind of addictive.

Why be nervous though? The chances of you crashing are minute. The chances of you surviving a crash are even smaller. Nothing to worry about .....  :shrug:  :whistle:

Oceander

Oceander

« Reply #845 on: March 27, 2014, 12:47:36 am »
what was that last, unexplained, signal?

here's what the article says further on down:
“There is evidence of a partial handshake between the aircraft and ground station at 00:19 GMT,” said Hishammuddin Hussein, the acting transport minister. “This transmission is not understood and is subject to further ongoing work.”

Thomas Withington, a defence electronics analyst, told The Telegraph: “It sounds like the aircraft began to squawk a message and for some reason this was curtailed. It could be because the aircraft was at a catastrophic phase of its flight — that something was causing it to crash — or there could be some atmospheric disturbance.

“Was a crew member trying to send a message? Was the aircraft trying to send a message? Was there a malfunction? Those questions can only be answered if the cockpit voice recorders and flight data recorder are recovered.”

which leads me to wonder, is there some other warning system on aircraft that is supposed to emit a signal only upon the occurence of a "catastrophic event"?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #846 on: March 27, 2014, 12:52:08 am »
Only ones I know of are the screamer beacons. Attached to the evac slides, automatically triggered by either a deliberate inflation or contact with salt water.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #847 on: March 27, 2014, 12:57:50 am »
what was that last, unexplained, signal?

It was the static generated by a Higgs Boson collapsing, taking the aircraft and everyone on it on a one way trip to a "discrete radio source" that was first located in 1967, somewhere on the other side of Andromeda.  The Boson was generated by a secret facility in the Borneo jungle, funded by the Koch Brothers, the Cheney Family Trust and Karl Rove and Associates.  I understand Donald Rumsfeld himself has been personally in charge of the facility that generated the Boson and likely personally pushed the button that sent these people on the vacation of their lives.

Since Andromeda is only 2.54 ± 0.11 Million Light Years away, none of us will have anything physical remaining here, by the time they get there, so unfortunately, none of them will be phoning home, nor will any of us be around to receive the call if they did.

But not to worry, they will all come home in a few billion years when Andromeda begins to collide with the Milky Way.....

:whistle:

Oceander

« Reply #848 on: March 27, 2014, 01:03:37 am »
It was the static generated by a Higgs Boson collapsing, taking the aircraft and everyone on it on a one way trip to a "discrete radio source" that was first located in 1967, somewhere on the other side of Andromeda.  The Boson was generated by a secret facility in the Borneo jungle, funded by the Koch Brothers, the Cheney Family Trust and Karl Rove and Associates.  I understand Donald Rumsfeld himself has been personally in charge of the facility that generated the Boson and likely personally pushed the button that sent these people on the vacation of their lives.

Since Andromeda is only 2.54 ± 0.11 Million Light Years away, none of us will have anything physical remaining here, by the time they get there, so unfortunately, none of them will be phoning home, nor will any of us be around to receive the call if they did.

But not to worry, they will all come home in a few billion years when Andromeda begins to collide with the Milky Way.....

:whistle:

I really do prefer your explanations to anyone else's!!

Oceander

« Reply #849 on: March 27, 2014, 01:07:05 am »
Only ones I know of are the screamer beacons. Attached to the evac slides, automatically triggered by either a deliberate inflation or contact with salt water.

the emergency locator beacons only operate on either 121.5MHz (the old ones that are no longer supported for aviation) and 406MHz.  ACARS doesn't, to my limited understanding, utilize either frequency, so whatever this last signal was that the satellite picked up, it wouldn't have been from an emergency locator beacon.