Author Topic: Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing En Route to China  (Read 72710 times)

Oceander

Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing En Route to China
« Reply #725 on: March 20, 2014, 03:20:31 am »
I think that is just too out there @ this point.  The people in the plane ahead would not know someone was behind them.

Also, there is something called wake turbulence, all aircraft generate it.  The bigger the aircraft, the more severe it is.  Following close behind a similar or larger sized aircraft (747, A330, A340, A380, 777) would be extremely hazardous.

isn't that what brought down the jet that crashed into Queens, American Airlines Flight 587?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #726 on: March 20, 2014, 03:26:59 am »
What about the possibility that the flight took over another's identity signature?

Yes, it takes collusion, but it's still not nineteen on four different flights at the same time?  [/s]
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #727 on: March 20, 2014, 03:27:54 am »
Possible debris found per Prime Minister Tony Abbott.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-20/abbott-says-possible-objects-found-mh370/5334314

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has announced objects possibly related to the search for the missing Malaysian Airlines plane have been found in the southern Indian Ocean.

Mr Abbott says new satellite images show two possible objects in the ocean and an Australian Orion aircraft is en route to the area.

The plane has been missing since it disappeared en route to Beijing from Malaysia on March 8.

More to come.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #728 on: March 20, 2014, 03:28:34 am »
isn't that what brought down the jet that crashed into Queens, American Airlines Flight 587?

Yes and no.  The A300 encountered the wake turbulence of a previously departed Japan Airlines Boeing 747-400.  This alone would not cause a modern commercial aircraft to break apart.

The copilot began countering the turbulence with the rudder, and did so with such force that it overstressed the vertical fin and caused it to snap off.  The more he moved the rudder, the more control seemed to be degrading so he moved the rudder even harder which led to structural failure.  It's just like when a driver hits the shoulder or side of the road they over correcting and end up either flipping or crossing into oncoming traffic.  Just a small tap to get back under control is all that is needed.

Edit: Grammar fix.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:31:41 am by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #729 on: March 20, 2014, 03:29:09 am »
Possible debris found per Prime Minister Tony Abbott.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-20/abbott-says-possible-objects-found-mh370/5334314

We've heard that before.  I'll believe it when they actually pull something from the ocean that is identifiable.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

« Reply #730 on: March 20, 2014, 03:30:53 am »
Yes and no.  The A300 encountered the wake turbulence of a previously departed Japan Airlines Boeing 747-400.  This alone would not cause a modern commercial aircraft to break apart.

The copilot being countering the turbulence with the rudder, and did so with such force that it overstressed the vertical fin and caused it to snap off.  The more he moved the rudder, the more control seemed to be degrading so he moved the rudder even harder which led to structural failure.  It's just like when a driver hits the shoulder or side of the road they over correcting and end up either flipping or crossing into oncoming traffic.  Just a small tap to get back under control is all that is needed.

thanks

Offline ABX

« Reply #731 on: March 20, 2014, 03:33:22 am »

Don Lemon on @CNN now asking if missing flight could have gone into a black hole. Jeff Zucker must be loving this.  @CNNPR #bizarroworldnews

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #732 on: March 20, 2014, 03:38:43 am »
Don Lemon on @CNN now asking if missing flight could have gone into a black hole. Jeff Zucker must be loving this.  @CNNPR #bizarroworldnews

CNN needed something to boost their rating, and this is it.

Of course, once this has passed, they'll be back in the toilet once again.

Offline ABX

« Reply #733 on: March 20, 2014, 03:40:12 am »
Just updated, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority will hold a press conference at 3.30pm AEDT. (under an hour)

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/satellites-detect-possible-mh370-debris-in-southern-indian-ocean-aircraft-on-way-to-site-2014-3

Offline ABX

« Reply #734 on: March 20, 2014, 03:44:42 am »
This may be the best source for info now.
https://www.amsa.gov.au/media/

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #735 on: March 20, 2014, 03:49:02 am »
To date there are 100 possibilities of what happened to that airplane.    99 of them will be wrong.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #736 on: March 20, 2014, 03:52:32 am »
To date there are 100 possibilities of what happened to that airplane.    99 of them will be wrong.

I'm still voting for aliens, a rupture of the space-time continuum, or a mad scientist.

Better than 1/2 the theories that some of the "experts" in the media have been spewing.

Oceander

« Reply #737 on: March 20, 2014, 04:06:37 am »
This may be the best source for info now.
https://www.amsa.gov.au/media/

that site's getting slammed now

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #738 on: March 20, 2014, 04:49:43 am »
Shepard Smith is calling the P-3 a "Or-Eee-An" instead of Orion.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #739 on: March 20, 2014, 04:52:40 am »
BREAKING NEWS.   Aussies spot possible 777 debris

Large floating debris see by satellite off Australia. Ships and aircraft on the way for a closer look.  Keep your fingers crossed this is not another false lead. 

http://www.king5.com/news/aerospace/Australia-checking-2-objects-in-search-for-plane-251131611.html

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia  -- Australia's prime minister said Thursday two objects possibly related to the missing Malaysia Airlines flight have been spotted on satellite imagery and an air force aircraft was diverted to the area to try to locate them.

The Orion aircraft was expected to arrive in the area Thursday afternoon, Prime Minister Tony Abott told Parliament in Canberra. Three additional aircraft are expected to follow for a more intensive search, he said.

Abbott cautioned, however, that the task of locating these objects will be extremely difficult and "it may turn out that they are not related to the search for flight MH370."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:57:36 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #740 on: March 20, 2014, 04:55:41 am »
Shepard Smith is calling the P-3 a "Or-Eee-An" instead of Orion.

:silly:   Has he called the P-8 Poseidon   Po-See-Dan yet?

Oceander

« Reply #741 on: March 20, 2014, 11:39:34 am »
Agggh!  I was hoping there'd be something more definitive when I got up

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #742 on: March 20, 2014, 12:14:56 pm »
Agggh!  I was hoping there'd be something more definitive when I got up

Same here, but I had the sinking feeling when I went to bed that  this again would turn out to be nothing.

I thought maybe because they brought out the prime minister to make the announcement rather than a spokesperson of some far lower pay grade that it gave the story some credibility.  But nope....   Just more of the same - "hey! look over there - made you look"

Oceander

« Reply #743 on: March 20, 2014, 01:08:14 pm »
Same here, but I had the sinking feeling when I went to bed that  this again would turn out to be nothing.

I thought maybe because they brought out the prime minister to make the announcement rather than a spokesperson of some far lower pay grade that it gave the story some credibility.  But nope....   Just more of the same - "hey! look over there - made you look"

At least we don't (didn't) have family members on that plane; I can't imagine the anguish they go through every time it happens.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #744 on: March 20, 2014, 01:38:16 pm »
At least we don't (didn't) have family members on that plane; I can't imagine the anguish they go through every time it happens.

Even on this latest debris off Australia story I have seen so many different reports that totally contradict each other. The one I woke up to on my radio was that the satellite image was found to be small freighters.   Other reports said the area was searched but nothing was found, but rain was hampering the search.  Another report  I just read on a web news site that said the debris was being picked up and returned for evaluation, and yet another said the P-8 Poseidon was able to locate a large object “under the water” also off Australia but not in the same location as the debris.        It’s getting to the point I wish they would all shut up until we have something substantial. 

Oceander

« Reply #745 on: March 20, 2014, 01:46:14 pm »
Even on this latest debris off Australia story I have seen so many different reports that totally contradict each other. The one I woke up to on my radio was that the satellite image was found to be small freighters.   Other reports said the area was searched but nothing was found, but rain was hampering the search.  Another report  I just read on a web news site that said the debris was being picked up and returned for evaluation, and yet another said the P-8 Poseidon was able to locate a large object “under the water” also off Australia but not in the same location as the debris.        It’s getting to the point I wish they would all shut up until we have something substantial. 

I agree that they should not discuss things they haven't already vetted

Offline olde north church

« Reply #746 on: March 20, 2014, 01:47:41 pm »
I agree that they should not discuss things they haven't already vetted

When they have nothing, they must say something.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #747 on: March 21, 2014, 03:25:38 am »
Latest report is that Prime Minster Abbott has personally briefed Chinese President Xi Jinping.  From the report, Xi Jinping was "devastated" by the briefing which says that they know something which no one making public yet.

If the objects spotted are indeed debris from Flight 370, then there are likely ultra high resolution images, far better than those from the commercial satellite which initially spotted the debris.  Since the debris was initially spotted 4 days ago, that's more than enough time for something like the National Reconnaissance Office to get one of its high end satellites to photograph the region, or heck, even send up a U-2.

Oceander

« Reply #748 on: March 21, 2014, 12:39:47 pm »
Latest report is that Prime Minster Abbott has personally briefed Chinese President Xi Jinping.  From the report, Xi Jinping was "devastated" by the briefing which says that they know something which no one making public yet.

If the objects spotted are indeed debris from Flight 370, then there are likely ultra high resolution images, far better than those from the commercial satellite which initially spotted the debris.  Since the debris was initially spotted 4 days ago, that's more than enough time for something like the National Reconnaissance Office to get one of its high end satellites to photograph the region, or heck, even send up a U-2.

Could it be that they're pretty sure that the plane hit the water and all passengers are dead?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #749 on: March 21, 2014, 12:45:22 pm »
Could it be that they're pretty sure that the plane hit the water and all passengers are dead?

Hit the water, hit land, landed on some deserted air strip - you can figure all the passengers are dead in any case. Why keep them alive?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink