Author Topic: Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing En Route to China  (Read 72706 times)

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing En Route to China
« Reply #675 on: March 18, 2014, 11:39:55 pm »
You are right. It is hard to tell by the profile shown (I can't recognize the 777 without Googling it, I don't think I've ever been on one).  The satellite image was from the mass dump DigitalGlobe put out from their images that morning so at least it has the timing.

One good thing about being an aviation nut, I can pretty much ID any commercial aircraft out there in an instant.  Been on a 777 once, from ORD to DFW back in 2000.  One of the best flights I've been on.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #676 on: March 19, 2014, 12:21:48 am »
One good thing about being an aviation nut, I can pretty much ID any commercial aircraft out there in an instant.  Been on a 777 once, from ORD to DFW back in 2000.  One of the best flights I've been on.

I flew a 777 to New York a few years back.. Very nice plane.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #677 on: March 19, 2014, 12:33:43 am »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/03/18/Report-Indonesia-Refuses-To-Allow-Search-For-Malaysian-Plane-In-Their-Airspace

Report: Indonesia Refuses to Allow Search for Malaysian Plane in Their Airspace

by Frances Martel 18 Mar 2014, 2:15 PM PDT

A web of bureaucratic requirements are preventing a fleet of aircraft from flying over Indonesian airspace to find missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370, according to a report from the BBC.

Reporter Rupert Wingfield-Hayes visited Malaysia's capital, Kuala Lumpur, to find out why an apparently functional fleet of planes ready to fly over the Indian Ocean in search of the missing flight were grounded. Upon arriving, Hayes was told that Indonesia is refusing to allow Malaysia to fly over their territory, citing "international bureaucracy" that required Malaysia to file for special permissions in the area. Since the planes are of a military nature, they need special permissions to hit the skies, even in case of emergency.

Such bureaucracy grounded planes in Malaysia scheduled to fly over some of the areas where the plane had been suspected of flying over. The planes represented the multinational effort to find the missing flight; search planes from Japan, South Korea, and the United States were left unattended thanks to their inability to fly over the Indonesian island of Java. Watch video of Wingfield-Hayes' BBC report here.

Time is of the essence in the search for the plane, as the black box's battery only lasts 30 days, meaning the box will not be sending out radar signals after that and will become increasingly difficult to find. Additionally, should the plane have fallen in the ocean, it will continue to sink and decay over time, carried by currents that can put it nowhere near the already astronomically large search zone. ABC News reports that Malaysian authorities have narrowed their search to one of two corridors radar analysis has defined as the only areas which the plane could have gone towards--the southern corridor, a stretch of ocean near Australia.

The news of the search being limited to that corridor and not the northern one, which includes India, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Kazakhstan, comes just as reports surface of witnesses. A newspaper in the Maldives, an island nation south of India, published a report Tuesday claiming that individuals had seen a "low flying jumbo jet" on the morning after the plane disappeared at 6 AM local time, the appropriate number of hours after the plane left Kuala Lumpur to place it near the Maldives.

Sources have also told the Telegraph that Malaysian authorities' search of the pilot's flight simulator found in his home uncovered that the pilot had practiced landing on five runways in the Indian Ocean, including one in the Maldives. Chinese news outlet Xinhua also reports today that there is evidence of Thai officials seeing a plane on their radar that sufficiently resembles Flight 370 flying near their country on the night of its disappearance, adding more speculation that a search off the coasts of Australia is ill-founded.

The question of the pilot's role in the disappearance has been a pivotal one in the search for clues. Malaysian authorities retracted a report last night that claimed the pilot had made his last contact with air traffic control after the plane's communications systems had shut down, widening the search for a suspect. The pilot, Zaharie Ahmad Shah, is an experienced pilot with ties to Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim, leading many to question whether the plane's disappearance was a political act. Anwar, who is loosely related to Zaharie, has called the allegations "disgusting."

The lack of new information has triggered serious accusations of incompetence from China, whose officials have called Malaysian government investigations “inexperienced and lacking the capacity” to fly the plane. Chinese media outlets have been so incensed with the search that a column in Xinhua today lauded the United States for sharing sensitive radar information with France to search for a missing plane while condemning Malaysia for its secrecy. Most of the passengers on Flight 370 are Chinese nationals, and the plane was en route to Beijing when it disappeared.

Xinhua reports that while Malaysia has yet to ask the Maldives for help in the investigation, they have incorporated the government of nearby Sri Lanka into the search.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #678 on: March 19, 2014, 12:46:00 am »
Sounds like the search needs to focus west of the Maldives out to a point where it would have run out of fuel. And like what was already said if flying low it would burn fuel much faster

Except that this would be inconsistent with the plane being on one of those two arcs as per the last "ping" from the plane.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #679 on: March 19, 2014, 12:46:44 am »

I've done that flight several times in the past five years or so. I've probably been on one. Up until the last merger, I was flying so much, the ticket agent knew me as I walked up. That pretty much dried up the last two years to just two to three times a year. Kind of sad, DFW was becoming a second home.

Offline ABX

« Reply #680 on: March 19, 2014, 12:47:54 am »
Except that this would be inconsistent with the plane being on one of those two arcs as per the last "ping" from the plane.

It depends on which arc map you are looking at. A few have a bubble of range and it wouldn't be that far off from the norther part of the south bubble.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #681 on: March 19, 2014, 01:51:00 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2583807/Did-Malaysian-tuna-fisherman-missing-flight-MH370-flying-low-Gulf-Thailand-tried-stay-radar.html

Is this missing Flight MH370? Satellite image apparently showing white-painted plane among jungle is posted on website which lets ordinary people help solve the Malaysian Airlines mystery
Image from map search site appears to show the missing passenger plane
It was reportedly discovered by a Taiwanese university student
The authenticity of the photo has not yet been verified
News comes as villagers report seeing flight at low altitude

By SAM WEBB and RICHARD SHEARS

PUBLISHED: 16:44 EST, 18 March 2014 | UPDATED: 19:38 EST, 18 March 2014

A satellite image appears to show the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 in the skies above a jungle.

The image is taken from Tomnod, the map search website currently being used by hundreds of thousands of people in an attempt to search for missing passenger plane,  and was posted on Reddit on Sunday.

The authenticity of the photo has not yet been verified and the region depicted in the photo is as yet unknown. Intriguingly, the plane appears to have been painted white.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2583807/Did-Malaysian-tuna-fisherman-missing-flight-MH370-flying-low-Gulf-Thailand-tried-stay-radar.html#ixzz2wMxMrVLk
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #682 on: March 19, 2014, 01:53:20 am »
I bet it is photoshopped, short of crashing how in the world would it get where it appears in the photo without crashing - it looks intact.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #683 on: March 19, 2014, 01:55:53 am »
Does not look like a 777 in that picture.  Looks more like a DC-9, MD80, MD-90 or 717.

Either it is another model in flight, or it is bad idea of a hoax, and a badly done one at that.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:56:25 am by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

« Reply #684 on: March 19, 2014, 02:00:59 am »
It depends on which arc map you are looking at. A few have a bubble of range and it wouldn't be that far off from the norther part of the south bubble.

except that the Maldives are south-southwest of India so if it crashed, or otherwise came to rest, west of the Maldives, it could not have also made a trip to one of those arcs.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #685 on: March 19, 2014, 12:37:38 pm »
Does not look like a 777 in that picture.  Looks more like a DC-9, MD80, MD-90 or 717.

Either it is another model in flight, or it is bad idea of a hoax, and a badly done one at that.

Yea, there are no engines on the wings in the photo.   One of the amazing facts I learned about the 777 when visiting the Everett plant is that the diameter of the engine of a 777 including the cowling is as wide as a body section of a 737.  It is truly amazing thing to see standing right in front of one of its fans.
Somebody found a random photo of an airplane taken from a satellite and posted it someplace and the false story grew  legs all its own and spread  like wildfire.
Also it appears the sun is high in the sky and  reflecting on the back of the airplane.  The plane I think would have long run out of fuel by that late in the day.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #686 on: March 19, 2014, 01:13:10 pm »
Where's Waldo game has begun.  **nononono* :pondering: :nometalk:

"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #687 on: March 19, 2014, 02:14:01 pm »
Where's Waldo game has begun.  **nononono* :pondering: :nometalk:

I see three mermaids.    If we are going to make things up, we may as well go for something good.    :silly:
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #688 on: March 19, 2014, 07:47:10 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline evadR

« Reply #689 on: March 19, 2014, 08:01:40 pm »
I see three mermaids.    If we are going to make things up, we may as well go for something good.    :silly:
..and unicorns.

I'm stickin' with my original theory...alien got 'em.

And I don't mean to be flip over such a serious topic but...damn! Just damn!
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #691 on: March 19, 2014, 10:05:10 pm »
OK, I have it.

My neighbors thought the wind blew my fence down, but that's when we put the jet in my backyard. 
Grandsons helped me prop the fence back up.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #692 on: March 19, 2014, 10:19:01 pm »
Don't forget to duct tape the intakes. Don't want dust in there.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #693 on: March 19, 2014, 10:22:50 pm »
Don't forget to duct tape the intakes. Don't want dust in there.

I'll get the boys on it this weekend.  thanks!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #694 on: March 19, 2014, 10:56:42 pm »
http://abcnews.go.com/International/search-missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-370-drastically-narrows/story?id=22975958

Search for Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 Drastically Narrows
March 19, 2014
BY ABC NEWS

http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/abc_malaysia_map_search_area-kb_140319_16x9_992.jpg

American and British aviation officials have refined satellite signals from the missing Malaysia Flight 370 and created two possible flight paths that dramatically narrow the scope of the search to an area off the coast of Australia.

The two possible paths have the plane heading toward the South Pole and ending, experts believe, off of Australia.

U.S. officials familiar with the investigation tell ABC News that the hourly satellite pings from the jet had yielded far more clues than expected, enabling the focus of the search to be cut in half - from an area roughly the size of Texas to that of Arizona.

Calculations by UK and US experts had now been handed over to the Australians to help with the search.

Flight MH370 departed Kuala Lumpur at 12:55 a.m. Friday, and was scheduled to land in Beijing at 6:30 a.m., the airline said. It disappeared two hours into the flight and disappeared off the radar northwest of Kota Bharu, Malaysia, in the South China Sea.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #695 on: March 19, 2014, 11:54:35 pm »
As I thought....somebody competent finally got ahold of those radar tapes and made some sense out of them.  I doubt we will ever know for certain what really happened and this will feed any number of conspiracy theories for years.  I just find it difficult to believe that anyone can simply turn the transponder on a commercial airliner off, and not trigger an immediate response.  And flying all that distance, with no transponder, through any number of air search radars without anyone saying or doing anything about it is incredible. 

The incompetence in all of this is stunning, and Malaysia is lucky this guy didn't decide to fly that plane into one of their pretty skyscrapers, because it would have been all over but for the shouting before anyone in Malaysia did anything about it.

:smokin:

Offline ABX

« Reply #696 on: March 20, 2014, 12:43:28 am »
As I thought....somebody competent finally got ahold of those radar tapes and made some sense out of them.  I doubt we will ever know for certain what really happened and this will feed any number of conspiracy theories for years.  I just find it difficult to believe that anyone can simply turn the transponder on a commercial airliner off, and not trigger an immediate response.  And flying all that distance, with no transponder, through any number of air search radars without anyone saying or doing anything about it is incredible. 

I like what Rush said about this. It may be a simple explanation but so many conspiracy theories and wild guesses have taken place, many won't believe the simple explanation.

The incompetence in all of this is stunning, and Malaysia is lucky this guy didn't decide to fly that plane into one of their pretty skyscrapers, because it would have been all over but for the shouting before anyone in Malaysia did anything about it.

:smokin:

Speaking of wild guess, I wonder if this possibly was an attempt at a 9/11 style attack by the pilot or copilot that resulted in damage (fire) in the struggle leaving no pilot or copilot and the plane cruising along on autopilot until it ran out of fuel. Maybe the passengers were completely oblivious until it started nose diving in the ocean. It is somewhere between the two main theories- hijacking and damage.

Oceander

« Reply #697 on: March 20, 2014, 12:57:18 am »
Here's a pic of the new, smaller, search area:

If that is really where the plane ended up, then it does seem that the pilots weren't controlling the plane and it simply flew on autopilot using the last heading it had been programmed for until it simply ran out of fuel and crashed.  If that's what happened, though, I wonder if the passengers were all incapacitated as well, because otherwise it seems to me that they might have noticed something.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #698 on: March 20, 2014, 01:25:24 am »

If that is really where the plane ended up, then it does seem that the pilots weren't controlling the plane and it simply flew on autopilot using the last heading it had been programmed for until it simply ran out of fuel and crashed.  If that's what happened, though, I wonder if the passengers were all incapacitated as well, because otherwise it seems to me that they might have noticed something.

The Payne Stewart crash on a larger scale?

Oceander

« Reply #699 on: March 20, 2014, 01:25:50 am »
The Payne Stewart crash on a larger scale?

It's beginning to look like it, isn't it?