Author Topic: CPAC 2014  (Read 5744 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Re: CPAC 2014
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2014, 09:16:43 pm »
I am watching the next President of the United States. 20 year olds want this man to win and so do I.

I like Rand, but I want to see who is running and then what they say in the debates......... and please........ PLEASE ....... stop agreeing to debates moderated by people like Stephanopalous, etc... for a change have conservatives moderating for the GOP debates so questions conservatives actually care about are asked..
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2014, 09:16:48 pm »
They have been playing us for saps for all too long. Most of the 30 you refer to don't give a crap about us all they care about is who is padding their pockets.  Take McCain as a prime example.. he was the swing vote that killed drilling in ANWR......

I did not know that. That ticks me off even more. If you find Rand Paul's video put it up.

BTW: I like Perry's glasses he seems more focused.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2014, 09:18:58 pm »
I did not know that. That ticks me off even more. If you find Rand Paul's video put it up.

BTW: I like Perry's glasses he seems more focused.

I like his glasses, too.. also I noticed Laurie Dhue has been wearing glasses more lately and she looks really pretty with them on... for some reason we allowed society to make it seem people who wore glasses were less than...

Yes, McCain killed ANWR...... but remember, McCain is also partly pwned by Soros and Soros doesn't want the
USA energy independent he makes a lot of money from middle east and now Brazilian drilling.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2014, 10:43:23 pm »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2014, 11:02:11 pm »

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/rand-paul-is-the-king-of-cpac-20140307
RAND ROCKS THE HOUSE

Rand Paul Is the King of CPAC
One year after his filibuster, the Paul love at CPAC is stronger than ever.

By Sarah Mimms

Follow on Twitter

March 7, 2014

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md.—A year after his 13-hour filibuster won the hearts of young conservatives just a week ahead of the 2013 Conservative Political Action Conference, the fandom for Sen. Rand Paul here has only grown.

Paul gave a speech Friday before the first standing-room-only crowd at the conference so far, asking a cheering audience, "Will you, America's next generation of liberty-lovers, will you stand and be heard?"

Following his typical style, Paul's speech focused largely on personal freedom, the Fourth Amendment, and rights he alleged are being usurped by the Obama administration, while avoiding the tricky topic of foreign policy, where his libertarian views are not as widely accepted by conservatives here.

Paul's biggest applause line of the afternoon—the biggest applause line at CPAC so far—came during his discussion of what he perceived as President Obama's failures, particularly at the National Security Agency. "As our voices rise in protest, the NSA monitors your every phone call. if you have a cell phone, you are under surveillance. I believe what you do on your cell phone is none of their damn business," he said to loud cheers.

Paul continued an assault on Obama's record, getting laughs when he asked how history will remember the president, and later quoting Pink Floyd frontman Roger Waters in asking whether former supporters of the president now believed they had "trade[d] your heroes for your ghosts? … Did they get you to exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"

"I don't question President Obama's motives," Paul added, "but history will remember his timid defense of liberty."

Like his father, who was known to pack conservative conferences with supporters, the younger Paul has shown a striking ability to bring in engaged activists. In the packed hallways of the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center over the last two days, the bright red-and-black "Stand With Rand" gear easily overshadows the few dozen Ted Cruz stickers and Ben Carson buttons adorning attendees' lapels.

Paul's team didn't have its own booth at CPAC this year, but the Young Americans for Liberty—which sold "I Stand With Rand" shirts and gave away stickers and posters—was easily the most crowded of the booths at this year's event, with dozens of largely young conservatives waiting patiently in line for their Rand gear throughout the conference up to now. Another group installed a life-sized cutout of the senator for photo ops, an honor that was only accorded to Paul and William F. Buckley.

Young Americans for Liberty Executive Director Jeff Frazee said that the booth was even more packed than at last year's event. The group gave away each and every one of the 1,100 T-shirts they brought with them by early Friday afternoon, Frazee said. The group's goal before the event was to sell 250 CPAC tickets through their website, he added. They sold more than 460.

Posters aren't allowed into the main ballroom where Paul took the stage Friday afternoon, but even an hour before his speech more than 30 "Stand With Rand" signs were lying on the floor outside the entrance, having been confiscated by security staff. Several made it into the room, though, thanks in part to a few Young Americans for Liberty volunteers who guided activists in how best to hide their signs to hold up during the speech.

Paul's book is easily the best-selling title this year, according to volunteers manning CPAC's bookstore, and his book-signing event Friday afternoon was crowded with activists dressed in full "Stand With Rand" gear.

And stand they did. As Paul wrapped up on Friday, he reminded the audience of his popular filibuster to a standing ovation. "It's a time for boldness and action. The time is now. Stand with me, stand together for liberty," he said, before exiting the stage.

video at link

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2014, 11:53:23 pm »
CPAC 2014 LIVE

Wow!  You've been busy.  Thanks for all this great information.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2014, 12:55:16 am »
Paul may be able to bridge the divide his dad never mustered - engage the Millennial and the older voters.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2014, 12:56:44 am »
Rand Paul nailed it! J'accuse!

Thanks for posting his speech.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2014, 02:35:15 am »
I like Rand, but I want to see who is running and then what they say in the debates......... and please........ PLEASE ....... stop agreeing to debates moderated by people like Stephanopalous, etc... for a change have conservatives moderating for the GOP debates so questions conservatives actually care about are asked..

The boneheaded GOP will probably let Candy moderate again.  :smokin:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:35:42 am by Gazoo »

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2014, 03:13:44 am »
http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/03/07/signs-from-cpac-that-gop-may-not-be-completely-tone-deaf/?utm_term=%23tcot

Signs From CPAC That GOP May Not Be Completely Tone Deaf

by
Stephen Kruiser

As more and more cracks begin to show in the Common Core initiative, Americans are pushing back, insisting that parents—not bureaucrats in Washington—should “be in charge” of their children’s education. This assertion, delivered by the Friedman Foundation’s Robert Enlow at the 41st annual Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), was met with rousing applause, signaling attendees’ determination to keep the federal government from intruding further into another facet of American life.

Enlow, along with veteran conservative author-activist Phyllis Schlafly and the Pioneer Institute’s Jim Stergios, spoke Thursday on a CPAC panel that addressed Common Core and the broader need for school choice in America. Moderated by The Heritage Foundation’s Will Skillman Fellow in Education, Lindsey Burke, the panel proved to be one of the day’s most exciting events.

I have been harping on this for a while, and was encouraged to hear that Ted Cruz, Paul Ryan and Tim Scott all brought up school choice on Thursday as well.

The GOP has had a bad habit for years now of getting distracted by defending whatever nothingburger garbage the Democrats and the media throw at them to keep them away from real issues. School choice is one that hits the progressive left hard, which is why the new commie in charge of New York City has already gone to war with charter schools.

Maybe, just maybe, the higher-ups in the party are hitting the Ritalin and focusing for once.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2014, 03:14:56 am »
I keep reading the GOPe is paralyzed waiting to see if Jeb Bush gets in the race or not..  they don't seem to realize the conservatives running will estimate Bush over Common Core if he does run and that will reverberate around every state in the union.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2014, 03:25:36 am »
I keep reading the GOPe is paralyzed waiting to see if Jeb Bush gets in the race or not..  they don't seem to realize the conservatives running will estimate Bush over Common Core if he does run and that will reverberate around every state in the union.

The GOP adore Jeb because Jeb said he could get the immigration reform their way and hispanic vote. Like many said at CPAC, if the dems get their full dream act, Katie bar the door we are done put a fork in it. Didn't Dubya get a good chunk of the hispanic vote? Dubya is bi-lingual but the media said he was dumb-as-dirt... and look at Obama. I am no fan of more Bush's but I wish George P Bush had a different last name he would be JFK Jr legend status.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:26:49 am by Gazoo »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2014, 03:27:22 am »
The GOP adore Jeb because Jeb said he could get the immigration reform their way and hispanic vote. Like many said at CPAC, if the dems get their full dream act, Katie bar the door we are done put a fork in it. Didn't Dubya get a good chunk of the hispanic vote? Dubya is bi-lingual but the media said he was dumb-as-dirt... and look at Obama. I am no fan of more Bush's but I wish George P Bush had a different last name he would be JFK Jr legend status.

No more Bush, Clinton or Kennedy........... I'm tired of dynasties no matter the party.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2014, 03:36:49 am »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/07/Santorum-Goes-Populist-At-CPAC-Do-We-Really-Accept-There-Are-Classes-In-America

Rick Santorum Goes Populist at CPAC: 'Do We Really Accept There Are Classes in America?'

by Frances Martel 7 Mar 2014, 3:06 PM PDT

NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland–"Do we really accept the fact that there are classes in America?" Rick Santorum brought an offbeat message of economic equality to the stage of CPAC Friday, foregoing much of the social-conservative rhetoric that made him famous for a populist approach to engaging America's underemployed lower classes.

Santorum began his speech with an approach familiar to many others on the stage, challenging the idea that Republicans have to win by losing "those currently unfashionable stances on culture and limited government issues." "I'm not out here fighting just to elect Republican candidates to win – I'm here to see America win," the 2012 presidential runner-up told the audience to applause.

Santorum did not dwell too much on social issues, though he did emphasize the importance of the "true, beautiful institution of marriage" to the economy. He did not define what he thought that "true" meaning was, but instead called for valuing the marriage contract as a function of the economy. And the economy was center stage today, as Santorum railed against economic inequality.

He noted that he focused as a candidate on "working Americans," not the "middle class." He urged the audience not to adopt "a class-envy, leftist language that divides Americans against themselves," and instead actively recruit America's poor to the Republican side. In order to do that, Santorum argued, Republicans had to abandon talk of "cut[ting] taxes for higher class people" because it "doesn't connect emotionally." Republicans need to address the problems related to "you, not the employer who might hire you" and engage those who "are most vulnerable."

Instead of the wealthy, Santorum suggested, Republicans should talk about "tax cuts, but for manufacturing." The line received tepid applause.

The classic Santorum lines were delivered with a finesse that almost hid their social-conservative background. "The first economy is the home, and when the home breaks down, the economy breaks down," he told the crowd, calling for Republicans to stand "with that underemployed person working two jobs, stand with the unemployed, stand with the single mom, stand with the people who are fearful because fear is powerful and overcoming fear is what makes America the greatest country in the world."

Santorum concluded by praising Pope Francis, calling for Republicans to "talk about the Good News for a hurting world," and praise more than condemn, be for things rather than against them.

The speech was a surprising one. It served to distinguish Santorum from the rest of the amorphous pack of Republicans who may or may not resurface in 2016. Santorum might not be holding public office right now or showing up strongly in polls, but he remains the runner-up to Mitt Romney in 2012, and that position always carries weight in the Republican Party. He is also offering voters something no Republican is offering: a sensibility for the proletariat, a soft spot for the poor, and a desire to engage in the economic debate that other Republicans deem "class warfare." Santorum might be calling for the abandonment of a "leftist" language, but he is speaking Democrat in economics, and doing so in a way that makes him unique in the field.

He also seems to have learned his lesson about social issues, using language that could even be mistaken for pro-gay marriage: after all, if marriage is a true, beautiful, and necessary institution, every American should be able and encouraged to participate in it – if only for the improvement of the economy. His audience knows enough about Santorum not to misinterpret his statements, but they were nonetheless sufficiently inclusive to make that interpretation possible – a prodigious leap in ambiguity for the former Pennsylvania senator.

Watch Santorum speak live at CPAC below:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2014, 03:37:14 am »
I just want him to go away..........

Offline happyg

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2014, 03:39:17 am »

We've been wanting him to go away for years. He's obsessed with being president.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2014, 03:47:19 am »
We've been wanting him to go away for years. He's obsessed with being president.

I have the exact same visceral reaction to him as I have Obama - when he speaks I change the channel.

Oceander

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2014, 05:11:40 am »
No more Bush, Clinton or Kennedy........... I'm tired of dynasties no matter the party.

i wholeheartedly agree

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2014, 09:13:57 am »
Interesting that my Governor Scott Walker didn't attend.  I would guess that he knows declaring his conservatism too much is a detriment to re-election in dark purple WI in 2014, real conservatives might call that cowardice.   I'm just a RINO happy my taxes are going to be cut. 

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2014, 02:57:37 pm »

Seriously!  Him and a few others.  I really hope that we don't have a large field again that basically works to destroy each other for many months, and we get stuck with another GOPe loser as the nominee.....

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2014, 03:15:23 pm »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2014, 04:08:17 pm »

I won't stand for another sweater-wearing, bible-toting president.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2014, 05:03:39 pm »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2014, 11:06:08 pm »
The OFFICIAL CPAC Straw Poll Results were just announced......... BTW 20% of the voters this year were in the 50 - 60+ age range - this is a first

1) Rand Paul
2) Ted Cruz
3) Ben Carson

6) Marco Rubio at 6% (vs 23% last year)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2014, 11:06:28 pm »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/8/rand-paul-wins-2014-cpac-straw-poll-ted-cruz-finis/

Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
Rubio and Ryan, GOP leaders in Congress all see big drops in support

By Seth McLaughlin and Stephen Dinan

-

The Washington Times

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Sen. Rand Paul demolished his competition in the 2014 Washington Times/CPAC presidential preference straw poll on Saturday, winning 31 percent of the vote — nearly three times the total of second-place Sen. Ted Cruz.

The poll also found a strong plurality of attendees at the Conservative Political Action Conference believe marijuana should be fully legalized, with 41 percent saying it’s time to change the law and tax it. Another 21 percent said it should be legalized only for medicinal purposes, while just 31 percent said it should remain illegal in all cases.

In the presidential poll, Mr. Cruz’s 11 percent was a big improvement for the freshman senator, who won just 4 percent in last year’s straw poll. Neurosurgeon Ben Carson was third with 9 percent and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie was fourth with 8 percent in results that signal growing discontent with the GOP establishment in Washington.

Indeed, CPAC voters now have an unfavorable view of Republicans in Congress, with 51 percent saying they disapprove of the job the GOP is doing on Capitol Hill. Just last year the GOP had a 54 percent approval rating, and in 2012 they held a 70 percent approval rating.

But a series of tough votes over the last few months that saw Republican leaders work with President Obama to boost spending and raised the government’s debt limit have deepened a rift between the GOP’s leadership on Capitol Hill and conservative activists around the country.

continued....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34