Author Topic: Academy Awards  (Read 14992 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Academy Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 02:35:38 am »
I hear ya, Rap.  I find that I end up watching most movies online or on DVD, older titles or things that someone may bring to my attention.  I realize that I may miss out on some good stuff by being a hermit, but it is just my way.  Now, something like Winters Tale, will be something that I will look for at some point (assuming my memory can retain it!!).

For example, a friend and I just watched Message in a Bottle (Kevin Costner, Paul Newman) a couple of weeks ago on Amazon Prime; wonderful movie, had never heard of it at the time it was out.

The man who produced Winters Tale was on with Glenn Beck last week and was almost in tears about the panning of the movie from the critics since the death of his wife is what drove him to make a film of the book.

I won't waste time on movies from Quentin Tarantino and I'm not a Baz Luhrman fan, though I would like to see his version of Gatsby, somehow I don't think it will come close to the original.  I like Matthew McConneghy and just about anything he is in and he worked very hard on Dallas Buyers Club - so I would like to see it.. I also want to see American Hustle - set in the 70's and fictional, but based on things that went on in the 70's.. plus I like Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper and Amy Adams...

Want an entertaining Clint Eastwood movie watch The Trouble with the Curve with Eastwood and Amy Adams.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2014, 02:39:33 am »
Ellen is doing a good job without making it political.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2014, 02:40:39 am »
The Oscar for Best Documentary Feature goes to "20 Feet From Stardom"

Supposedly all the documentaries up for an award this year were excellent...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:41:52 am by Rapunzel »

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2014, 02:44:44 am »
The man who produced Winters Tale was on with Glenn Beck last week and was almost in tears about the panning of the movie from the critics since the death of his wife is what drove him to make a film of the book.

I won't waste time on movies from Quentin Tarantino and I'm not a Baz Luhrman fan, though I would like to see his version of Gatsby, somehow I don't think it will come close to the original.  I like Matthew McConneghy and just about anything he is in and he worked very hard on Dallas Buyers Club - so I would like to see it.. I also want to see American Hustle - set in the 70's and fictional, but based on things that went on in the 70's.. plus I like Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper and Amy Adams...

Want an entertaining Clint Eastwood movie watch The Trouble with the Curve with Eastwood and Amy Adams.

Funny that you mentioned Gatsby, we are planning to watch all of them that are available online/DVD, been a Gatsby fan for ages.  We recently watched the 1974 version with Robert Redford & Mia Farrow.  I honestly don't know most of the names of the people that you mention.  But I do recall seeing ads for the The Trouble with the Curve and will try to remember to watch that one as well!!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2014, 02:45:43 am »
Ellen is doing a good job without making it political.

That is good to hear, I actually find her to be quite funny when I've seen her on TV.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2014, 02:49:13 am »
That is good to hear, I actually find her to be quite funny when I've seen her on TV.

Her TV show is very popular and she performs a lot of good charity work through the show.  I don't care if she or anyone else is gay, I just don't like the way some feel they have to shove it in our faces they are gay - she doesn't do that. 

You will like Trouble with the Curve.. Bet it is on Amazon or Netflix for you to watch.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2014, 02:56:22 am »

Actor Jared Leto accepts the Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role award for 'Dallas Buyers Club' onstage during the Oscars at the Dolby Theatre on March 2, 2014 in Hollywood, California.

++++++++++++++++++++++

His was one of the best Oscar speeches I can remember.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2014, 02:57:46 am »
Her TV show is very popular and she performs a lot of good charity work through the show.  I don't care if she or anyone else is gay, I just don't like the way some feel they have to shove it in our faces they are gay - she doesn't do that. 

You will like Trouble with the Curve.. Bet it is on Amazon or Netflix for you to watch.

Me neither.  I actually don't care personally, what I object to is the marxists using them (as useful idiots really) as a tool to destroy our society and Christianity in particular.  Nothing personal against the gays themselves, just prefer if they keep their private business more private, which I think that she tends to do.

I am going to look on Amazon and add it to the "watchlist" that I should actually maintain so I don't have to rely on my spotty memory!!  Thanks for the tip!!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2014, 03:01:20 am »
Funny that you mentioned Gatsby, we are planning to watch all of them that are available online/DVD, been a Gatsby fan for ages.  We recently watched the 1974 version with Robert Redford & Mia Farrow.  I honestly don't know most of the names of the people that you mention.  But I do recall seeing ads for the The Trouble with the Curve and will try to remember to watch that one as well!!

Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence co-stared last year in Silver Linings Playbook.  She won the Oscar, he didn't and I still think he deserved it for his role in the movie.  He was nominated for Best Supporting this year for American Hustle and lost to Jaret Letto (Dallas Buyers Club). Jennifer Lawrence is nominated again.  She is very young and if she keeps it up could be the next Meryl Streep (who has a record number of wins).

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2014, 03:04:18 am »
Me neither.  I actually don't care personally, what I object to is the marxists using them (as useful idiots really) as a tool to destroy our society and Christianity in particular.  Nothing personal against the gays themselves, just prefer if they keep their private business more private, which I think that she tends to do.

I am going to look on Amazon and add it to the "watchlist" that I should actually maintain so I don't have to rely on my spotty memory!!  Thanks for the tip!!

Pretty much how I feel... Frankly, I think everyone should keep their sex life in the bedroom.

I really enjoyed Safe Haven last year, too...... I liked the ending had a real interesting twist to it.  Granted it was more of a girls movie, but it was good.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2014, 03:07:19 am »

YOU tell her she didn't win!

ME?   Are you nutz?  YOU tell her!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2014, 03:08:53 am »
Didn't she win last year, DC?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 03:09:36 am »
Charleze Theron looks beautiful (as usual) what does she see in Sean Penn?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2014, 03:09:55 am »
Did anyone here see Gravity?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2014, 03:12:30 am »
Didn't she win last year, DC?

Sorry, I haven't kept up with the latest movies. 

Thought she was nominated for one of the ....shall we say,....culturally sensitive themed movies this year.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2014, 03:16:10 am »
Did anyone here see Gravity?

The closest I came was that I saw Sandra Bullock talking about it and showing clips on one of the last Jay Leno shows....  to be honest, I didn't understand what the movie was about....

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2014, 03:16:20 am »
Sorry, I haven't kept up with the latest movies. 

Thought she was nominated for one of the ....shall we say,....culturally sensitive themed movies this year.

Nope. Last year - best supporting IIRC... lost to Ann Hathaway (Les Mis)

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2014, 03:22:40 am »
Pretty much how I feel... Frankly, I think everyone should keep their sex life in the bedroom.

I really enjoyed Safe Haven last year, too...... I liked the ending had a real interesting twist to it.  Granted it was more of a girls movie, but it was good.

Being such a 21st century guy tonight, added both The Trouble with the Curve and Safe Haven to my Watchlist!!  I feel like I am living in 2014 or something...

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2014, 03:24:09 am »
Being such a 21st century guy tonight, added both The Trouble with the Curve and Safe Haven to my Watchlist!!  I feel like I am living in 2014 or something...

~LOL~

You might want to add Lone Survivor - true story by Marcus Luttrell of what happened to he and his fellow Seals in Afghanistan.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2014, 03:27:04 am »
Internet went down for some reason had to reboot...

Lupita Nuyong'o won best supporting for Tweleve Years a Slave.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2014, 03:28:39 am »

Oh and BTW Captailn Phillips was excellent - finally saw it last week on DVD.

http://www.captainphillipsmovie.com/site/

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2014, 03:28:53 am »
Internet went down for some reason had to reboot...

Lupita Nuyong'o won best supporting for Tweleve Years a Slave.

No surprises there.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2014, 03:31:25 am »
Gravity wins for best film editing......

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2014, 03:32:14 am »
 Bill Murray gave a brilliant little Harold Ramis tribute.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2014, 03:32:53 am »
Whoppi looks awful.........