Author Topic: Ted Cruz isn't planning to be in the Senate very long  (Read 11622 times)

Offline sinkspur

Re: Ted Cruz isn't planning to be in the Senate very long
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2014, 04:42:48 pm »
If McConnell loses his seat Cruz will suddenly be in alliance. Sorry but just because the media hates him-I think I may like him.

If you think Republican Senators are going to turn to Ted Cruz as their leader after the stunt he pulled last week, you need to think again.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2014, 04:47:40 pm »
If you think Republican Senators are going to turn to Ted Cruz as their leader after the stunt he pulled last week, you need to think again.

.....not necessarily.  If national polls would reveal most Republican voters want a fighter in place of milquetoast, he's right there to step-in.

I believe most people would like to see two opposing parties throw dirt at each other.   Because when only 1 party is throwing it...and the press doesn't refute it...well, you know.

It time.   We're fighting for the heart and soul of the United States of America.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2014, 04:48:36 pm »
Who would vote for him, other than Mike Lee and Rand Paul? 

YOU would have a better chance of being elected Majority Leader than Ted Cruz.

I disagree.  If we properly purge the US Senate of all the hangers-on whose only goal is to die in office and lie in state under the Rotunda, you might be amazed at who ends up in Leadership positions.  If Cruz stays put he will soon have seniority, and that counts for a lot.  Stranger leaders than Cruz have emerged....

We shall see.  In any case, I like Cruz right where he is.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2014, 04:54:34 pm »

In any case, I like Cruz right where he is.

Me too.  For him, the next step will be revealing.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2014, 04:59:19 pm »

.....not necessarily.  If national polls would reveal most Republican voters want a fighter in place of milquetoast, he's right there to step-in.

I believe most people would like to see two opposing parties throw dirt at each other.   Because when only 1 party is throwing it...and the press doesn't refute it...well, you know.

It time.   We're fighting for the heart and soul of the United States of America.

National polls reveal even Republicans want leaders, not bombthrowers. 

Voters question the judgment of a man who would shutdown the government with no strategy to win the confrontation he initiated. 

And you're wrong.  Most people don't want political parties to "throw dirt at each other."  Most voters are adults.

Children throw dirt at each other.

How old are you?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2014, 05:01:09 pm »
I disagree.  If we properly purge the US Senate of all the hangers-on whose only goal is to die in office and lie in state under the Rotunda, you might be amazed at who ends up in Leadership positions.  If Cruz stays put he will soon have seniority, and that counts for a lot.  Stranger leaders than Cruz have emerged....

We shall see.  In any case, I like Cruz right where he is.

Who is "we"?  "We" don't get to purge the Senate; only the voters in the states of those Senators have any say in whether they go or stay.  And lots of voters like their Senators. 

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2014, 05:05:07 pm »

:silly: remember when the tea party was not even allowed to have a name and be referenced as the tea party? Remember when the tea party was said to be staged nazis?

What did Cruz do last week? Say that raising the debt ceiling is wrong? It is wrong.

If McConnell loses they will never be referenced as WACKO BIRDS again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/02/16/mccain-cruz-had-no-plan-on-debt-ceiling/

Why is it the ones that speak out are labeled the nuts and the ones who vote in their payraises and laugh all the way to the bank and don't give two craps about serving are the statesmen? Why is it that the fat cat establishment like McConnell are fighting for their way of life as career politicians dem lites 2.0?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:09:42 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2014, 05:10:30 pm »
:silly: remember when the tea party was not even allowed to have a name and be referenced as the tea party? Remember when the tea party was said to be staged nazis?

What did Cruz do last week? Say that raising the debt ceiling is wrong? It is wrong.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/02/16/mccain-cruz-had-no-plan-on-debt-ceiling/

Why is it the ones that speak out are labeled the nuts and the ones who vote in their payraises and laugh all the way to the bank and don't give two craps about serving are the statesmen? Why is it that the fat cat establishment like McConnell are fighting for their way of life as career politicians dem lites 2.0?

Cruz wanted another showdown and give Obama an issue to distract from Obamacare and his failure in Syria.    That's why he forced a 60 vote threshold for the debt ceiling vote.   

That's a stunt.  He knew he wouldn't prevail, but he forced tough votes on other Senators.  They don't forget that stuff.

At the rate he's going, Cruz is going to need to hire someone to start his car in the morning.......................

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2014, 05:39:57 pm »
Cruz wanted another showdown and give Obama an issue to distract from Obamacare and his failure in Syria.    That's why he forced a 60 vote threshold for the debt ceiling vote.   

That's a stunt.  He knew he wouldn't prevail, but he forced tough votes on other Senators.  They don't forget that stuff.

At the rate he's going, Cruz is going to need to hire someone to start his car in the morning.......................

So, the Pat Caddell story isn't as far-fetched as some would like to think that it is?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2014, 05:46:36 pm »
So, the Pat Caddell story isn't as far-fetched as some would like to think that it is?

That Republican Senators want the IRS to go after the Tea Party groups? 

Yes.  It's far-fetched.  Why would a Democrat consultant know what Republican Senators were advocating?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2014, 05:53:50 pm »
IIRC: It was republicans and some democrats that started the entire IRS inquiry because constituents  had wrote republicans about their concerns about what was happening. And Democrats also called for the inquiry that led to it being accurate that they were being targeting and it was not a glitch or coincidence.

If anyone dares to say they were not being targeted by the IRS why did Lerner plead the fifth?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:54:42 pm by Gazoo »

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2014, 06:00:28 pm »

Children throw dirt at each other.

How old are you?

A bit dramatic?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:01:49 pm by Gazoo »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2014, 06:05:29 pm »

Yes.  It's far-fetched.  Why would a Democrat consultant know what Republican Senators were advocating?

Caddell has  not consulted for Democrats since the Carter administration.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2014, 06:26:46 pm »
Why has he gone to Iowa twice?

Of course he's ambitious.  Watch what people DO, not what they say.  Cruz beat Dewhurst, yes.  But running in Texas is not the same as running nationally, and Cruz has burned a whole of lot of bridges that will take time to repair if he wants to run for President.

And he does.

Everything you say about Cruz you used to say about Palin. Instead of projecting unknown plans  onto people why not actually appreciate what they are trying to do for the country and wait and see where they take it........
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2014, 06:28:24 pm »

Why would a Republican in Texas who doesn't actively participate in politics other than to vote know what someone's presidential aspirations are?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2014, 06:31:46 pm »

Stunt?  You have selective memory.   When the shutdown ended too early McConnell and Boehner BOTH said they were going to use raising the debt limit as their Mount Olympus and force spending cuts and a few other things on Obama... instead they gave him spending carte' blanc to March 2015 without a whimper. 

Cruz wanted them to do what they promised.  "Some" of us actually care about things like out of control spending and looming runaway inflation.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2014, 06:37:16 pm »

Sink, it does not shock you at all that McConnell is losing to his challenger?

This is unheard of an established republican being shown the door.

Furthermore you don't think this will move the musical chairs around, making the tea party people no longer the wacko birds? As I posted in a link, even McCain is stopping his wacko birded speeches about the conservatives.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2014, 06:43:37 pm »
Who is "we"?  "We" don't get to purge the Senate; only the voters in the states of those Senators have any say in whether they go or stay.  And lots of voters like their Senators.

I meant the figurative "we", and of course voters get to choose their senators.  But plenty of those Senators are facing primary challenges and there is no telling what the next Congress will look like or who ends up allying with who.

Oceander

« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2014, 06:45:56 pm »
my, my, my ...

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2014, 06:52:03 pm »
Alternatively:

Sink is acerbic - and usually (slightly) right (of center).

I agree!  IMHO Sink (Dave Carney) lives in an alternative universe not in any way connected to reality!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2014, 06:54:04 pm »
Stunt?  You have selective memory.   When the shutdown ended too early McConnell and Boehner BOTH said they were going to use raising the debt limit as their Mount Olympus and force spending cuts and a few other things on Obama... instead they gave him spending carte' blanc to March 2015 without a whimper. 

Cruz wanted them to do what they promised.  "Some" of us actually care about things like out of control spending and looming runaway inflation.

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2014, 07:01:43 pm »

Then again, it was after the "stunt" that polls began to show that Americans trusted Republicans over Democrats with the nation's finances.

I love how the news reports were all about what an ass kicking the GOP was taking over the shutdown, when in fact there was enough kicking going around to cover most a$$es in DC:

The Associated Press-GfK survey affirms expectations by many in Washington — Republicans among them — that the GOP may end up taking the biggest hit in public opinion from the shutdown, as happened when much of the government closed 17 years ago. But the situation is fluid nine days into the shutdown and there's plenty of disdain to go around.

Overall, 62 percent mainly blamed Republicans for the shutdown. About half said Obama or the Democrats in Congress bear much responsibility.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/poll-no-heroes-shutdown-gop-gets-most-blame#sthash.DTFeX1ux.dpuf

People blamed the GOP for the shutdown?

Of course, but the Democrats didn't gain anything from it. In fact, the polls suggest that the shutdown had very little long-term impact the nation's state of mind:

The Associated Press-GfK survey affirms expectations by many in Washington — Republicans among them — that the GOP may end up taking the biggest hit in public opinion from the shutdown, as happened when much of the government closed 17 years ago. But the situation is fluid nine days into the shutdown and there's plenty of disdain to go around.

Overall, 62 percent mainly blamed Republicans for the shutdown. About half said Obama or the Democrats in Congress bear much responsibility.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/poll-no-heroes-shutdown-gop-gets-most-blame#sthash.DTFeX1ux.dpuf

BTW... people are pre-disposed to blame Republicans for shutdowns:

Another CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll in mid-December 1995, for example, asked Americans if the shutdown had changed their impressions of both President Clinton and the Republicans in Congress. Not surprisingly, a large majority (62 percent) said their impressions of Republicans had worsened (23 percent were more positive), but nearly half (49 percent) also said their impression of Clinton had grown more negative as result of the government shutdown (35 percent said they had become more positive).

Third and finally, for obvious reasons, many of the more specific questions did not allow for consistent measurements to track attitudes before, during and after the shutdown. One poll from 1995 that asked Americans who they might hold responsible for a government shutdown before it happened was readily available: ABC News and The Washington Post found that as of mid-October 1995, a plurality were already primed to blame the Republicans rather than Clinton for a shutdown (49 percent to 27 percent).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/30/voters-blamed-gop-for-1995-shutdown_n_842769.html

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2014, 07:06:58 pm »
I agree!  IMHO Sink (Dave Carney) lives in an alternative universe not in any way connected to reality!

Honestly, that advanced the discussion... how?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2014, 07:09:39 pm »

Play the ball not the man.

sink's a great poster, and I respect his opinions.

Even when he's dead wrong, which is the case when we disagree.

:whistle:

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2014, 07:15:19 pm »

That message still falls on too many deaf ears...