Author Topic: Why Gays Have So Much Influence on Our Culture  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Re: Why Gays Have So Much Influence on Our Culture
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 05:57:02 pm »
Off topic, but can we do the same with the Redheads thread?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 05:59:35 pm »
 :silly: it's interesting though. One of our longest threads is dedicated to leering at young girls. Meh ...

Offline olde north church

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 06:14:37 pm »
For a ubiquitous word it is very hard to pin down!

The Oxford English Dictionary states that the ultimate etymology is uncertain, but that the word is "probably cognate" with a number of native Germanic words with meanings involving striking, rubbing, and having sex.

The word has probable cognates in other Germanic languages, such as German ficken (to bleep); Dutch fokken (to breed, to beget); dialectal Norwegian fukka (to copulate), and dialectal Swedish focka (to strike, to copulate) and fock (penis).[5] This points to a possible etymology where Common Germanic fuk– comes from an Indo-European root meaning "to strike", cognate with non-Germanic words such as Latin pugno "I fight" or pugnus "fist".[5] By application of Grimm's law, this hypothetical root has the form *pug–.

Yet another possible etymology is from the Old High German word pfluog, meaning "to plow, as in a field."

But no one knows. Unlike most words, it really doesn't have a consistent back story

so many of today's "bad" words, were actually created by the great masters
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 06:27:06 pm »
I prefer to think of them as words unacceptable in a public setting. Adhering to that is simply to behave politely, to practice manners; it's part of respecting others.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 06:39:47 pm »
:silly: it's interesting though. One of our longest threads is dedicated to leering at young girls. Meh ...

And more than a little creepy at this point.. I'm sure the men don't see it that way, but most of the women here do.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline aligncare

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 06:50:11 pm »
I mentioned it earlier in the thread that some of the women, girls, really, seemed too young – bordering on inappropriate.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 07:07:28 pm »
I actually watched "Behind the Candelabra" recently... don't know why.  There were scenes that I had a difficult time watching and I looked away.  That part of the culture is so... I dunno... so... repulsive... to me.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 07:16:08 pm »
I actually watched "Behind the Candelabra" recently... don't know why.  There were scenes that I had a difficult time watching and I looked away.  That part of the culture is so... I dunno... so... repulsive... to me.

I watched it, too.  Once and once was more than enough.  Frankly I think there is a very good reason to keep these things private...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 07:21:01 pm »
I liked it. It fit and it works. Without spoiling it for you, it balances out the tension between Jack and Gwen. Then you get one hell of a shock the following episode. No more said - but you'll love it.

Note:I am purely judging by story. Nothing else. Being an amoral sod at the best of times, I judge the tale.

Only three years behind, I hope it doesn't go south on me. LOL  The start seemed fairly good. 

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 07:23:21 pm »
I watched it, too.  Once and once was more than enough.  Frankly I think there is a very good reason to keep these things private...

As much as it repulsed me, I told Mrs. Lando that I was glad I watched it.  I guess it was from remembering Liberace's television show and what a unique, even strange entertainer he was.  Make no mistake though, he was an entertainer.  I watched several of his classic acts on Youtube afterwards. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 07:26:36 pm »
As much as it repulsed me, I told Mrs. Lando that I was glad I watched it.  I guess it was from remembering Liberace's television show and what a unique, even strange entertainer he was.  Make no mistake though, he was an entertainer.  I watched several of his classic acts on Youtube afterwards.

I remember his show... In a lot of ways Elton John copied his flamboyant style back in his early days.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 08:06:51 pm »

I had the same reaction, thinking "surely a LOT of the people watching this are as grossed out as I am?"   The gay sex act *IS* repulsive.  jmyrtlefuller summed it up beautifully upthread.

Back in the late 80's, I remember a reaction my ex-husband had to someone on TV, blaming "society" for his AIDs diagnosis.   He yelled at the TV: "society didn't shove some guy's **** up your ***!"   I was taken aback at the time--it was the first time I heard anyone speak up so forcefully against the PC onslaught that was just getting revved up back then.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 08:11:59 pm »
Only three years behind, I hope it doesn't go south on me. LOL  The start seemed fairly good.

From a purely SciFi perspective, the stories are really good. The problem is Russell Davies is an extreme gay activist and is really pushes that in his writing. If they could replace him with Steve Moffat for future series, it will improve a lot. The only problem is with Moffat writing, we'll have 3 episodes per two years. (see Sherlock). :) Moffat will end up killing off all the characters once you like them too.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2014, 08:49:50 pm »
From a purely SciFi perspective, the stories are really good. The problem is Russell Davies is an extreme gay activist and is really pushes that in his writing. If they could replace him with Steve Moffat for future series, it will improve a lot. The only problem is with Moffat writing, we'll have 3 episodes per two years. (see Sherlock). :) Moffat will end up killing off all the characters once you like them too.

Oh well, we shall see. LOL

Personally I could care less what people do in their personal lives, but if you want me to watch your performance/production/whatever, you best keep it to a minimum.  And a bit more, don't try to re-write the definition of marriage.