Author Topic: Sen. Tom Coburn says cancer scare could cut short his political career  (Read 517 times)

Offline happyg

By Cheryl K. Chumley

Sen. Tom Coburn said he would have a better idea in February if his political career would come to an abrupt halt, due to treatments for recurring prostate cancer.

That’s when he’s supposed to hear if he will have to have surgery that could put him on the sidelines of politics for months — even permanently, Politico reported.

“I’m a straight shooter,” he said, to the media outlet. “When I get ready to make a decision on what I’m going to do, I’m going to put it out there.”

Mr. Coburn — one of the leading voices on Capitol Hill against government waste and pork spending — also confirmed he won’t run for re-election in 2016, Newsmax reported.

Oklahoma’s senior senator, Jim Inhofe, 79, is facing his own health-related battle. He underwent quadruple bypass surgery just a few weeks ago — and shortly after, his son Perry was killed in a plane crash. Mr. Inhofe has said he will seek re-election.

Mr. Coburn, meanwhile, said that regardless of his physical ailments, his mental abilities were as strong as ever.

“My health is good, as far as endurance,” he said, Newsmax reported. “Probably people should judge my mental health rather than my physically health on why you want to be here.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/9/sen-tom-coburn-cancer-scare-could-cut-short-career/#ixzz2pwEBvkXa
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter