Author Topic: Silence of the Lambs: GOP Establishment Remained Neutral on 'Duck Dynasty' Controversy  (Read 11143 times)

Offline happyg

It would have been proper had republicans related the events with A&E and DD, by coming out and letting the folks know how capitalism will work in this case. That the people are taking a stand, and that is the way it should be. They could remind the people that government should not involve itself in matters that are none of its business. They would be killing two birds with one stone. By being silent, they were again showing weakness by avoid any controversy. It's too obvious it's all about the votes. They missed out on a good teaching lesson.

Offline sinkspur

It would have been proper had republicans related the events with A&E and DD, by coming out and letting the folks know how capitalism will work in this case. That the people are taking a stand, and that is the way it should be. They could remind the people that government should not involve itself in matters that are none of its business. They would be killing two birds with one stone. By being silent, they were again showing weakness by avoid any controversy. It's too obvious it's all about the votes. They missed out on a good teaching lesson.

Government didn't involve itself in this matter.  THis was none of the GOP's business either.

It's not the job of politicians to "teach."  I don't look to any of them to "teach" me anything. 

Suspending Robertson was a business decision and reinstating him was a business decision.   Trying to make it political would be the height of cynicism.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

The network didn't try to silence anyone's freedom. The fact that he exercised his freedom, fully and without network interference is what caused the brouhaha to begin with.

In fact, the network was criticized for knowing what Phil said in the interview in advance of it going public and NOT trying to silence him.

Everyone is free to speak their minds, but no one is free from the possible consequences of doing so.

The network executives have equal freedom to terminate contracts at will.

The GOP didn't need to get involved because it had absolutely nothing to do with politics or government.

I agree with your last statement, and also agree that the network had the right to do what it did.

It was just stupid because, under the pressure of the bullies from GLAAD, they sought to silence Phil's free speech by removing him from the show.

In the end, however, they had to reverse their boneheaded decision, so all's well that ends well.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Oceander

With all due respect, I don't think the republicans weakened themselves by refusing to politicize what was nothing more than a disagreement about marketing between two equally-placed market participants.  The GOP would have made itself look stupid to a large group of voters no matter which side it chose if it had waded in where it did not belong.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I agree with your last statement, and also agree that the network had the right to do what it did.

It was just stupid because, under the pressure of the bullies from GLAAD, they sought to silence Phil's free speech by removing him from the show.

In the end, however, they had to reverse their boneheaded decision, so all's well that ends well.

They did no such thing.

If you come into my house and start spouting communist slogans, the fact that I throw you out of my house doesn't silence you, or violate your right of free speech.

It just makes you carry on elsewhere.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline LambChop

Duck Dynasty, like all reality shows is scripted.  As was the controversy.  As was the suspension and the media coverage.  As was the lifting of the suspension.  Its just ratings.  For those who played their scripted roles and made it a national story, thank you for making Gay&E more money.

:beer:

Offline Rapunzel

:beer:

No other program on cable comes close to the DD ratings nope this was GLAAD being GLAAD and for the second time it backfired on them.  Frankly there is a growing number of Americans sick of having things shoved down their throat..
 No pun intended
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

They did no such thing.

If you come into my house and start spouting communist slogans, the fact that I throw you out of my house doesn't silence you, or violate your right of free speech.

It just makes you carry on elsewhere.

That's an absurd analogy.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
With all due respect, I don't think the republicans weakened themselves by refusing to politicize what was nothing more than a disagreement about marketing between two equally-placed market participants.  The GOP would have made itself look stupid to a large group of voters no matter which side it chose if it had waded in where it did not belong.

:amen: I couldn't agree more!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline olde north church

There is a saying, "It is better not say a word and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.".  Another saying?  Even a fish wouldn't get caught if it kept it's mouth shut.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline musiclady

No other program on cable comes close to the DD ratings nope this was GLAAD being GLAAD and for the second time it backfired on them.  Frankly there is a growing number of Americans sick of having things shoved down their throat..
 No pun intended

Once again, the idea that the Robertson family was just speaking out as per scripted is absurd, and conspiratorial.

Some folks have overactive imaginations......

Offline Rapunzel

Once again, the idea that the Robertson family was just speaking out as per scripted is absurd, and conspiratorial.

Exactly.  Average ratings of 14 - 17 million viewers per show compared to around 1.5 million for other programs on A&E (and other cable channels)...... there was nothing they needed to do to raise their ratings, most networks and advertisers would kill for those rating numbers.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

Ah, don't worry about it, ML. The members of the "publicity stunt" cabal don't mean a word of what they say and are only posting such things in order to draw attention to themselves or for some other deep emotional need.   
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

That's an absurd analogy.

It doesn't make it so just because you say so.

You also need to say why you think that it is.

My house is my property, just as A&E is the Disney corporation's network, their property, and by extension, their "house".

Phil Robertson's rights were not in the least bit violated, nor was he silenced.

He still believes in what he believes in, he's unapologetic for what he said, the magazine has not been pulled off the shelves, and he is free to continue expressing his beliefs.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Exactly.  Average ratings of 14 - 17 million viewers per show compared to around 1.5 million for other programs on A&E (and other cable channels)...... there was nothing they needed to do to raise their ratings, most networks and advertisers would kill for those rating numbers.

Yes.  That is why billionaires stop at one billion.  They need do nothing anymore to make more money.  They already have a billion dollars.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Reality shows are scripted.

They're not given dialogue to read, but predetermined situations where they act as themselves for the cameras.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Hear, hear!

Offline Cincinnatus

They're not given dialogue to read, but predetermined situations where they act as themselves for the cameras.

A clear example of what I said earlier, he's only posting such things in order to draw attention to [himself] or for some other deep emotional need.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Aren't many "filmed" in advance, so they can be edited?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Aren't many "filmed" in advance, so they can be edited?

Yep. Multiple cameras as well. Laura Bruce (Downsized) told me there are always at least 4 cameras rolling. It makes it difficult to react normally! There is no director shouting "Cut, take it from the top again" but the editing is done to provide a narrative flow.

It's an expected trick - People expect entertainment to be linear, but peoples lives never are.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

It doesn't make it so just because you say so.

You also need to say why you think that it is.

My house is my property, just as A&E is the Disney corporation's network, their property, and by extension, their "house".

Phil Robertson's rights were not in the least bit violated, nor was he silenced.

He still believes in what he believes in, he's unapologetic for what he said, the magazine has not been pulled off the shelves, and he is free to continue expressing his beliefs.

You're missing the fact that he lost his job because of the pressure of GLAAD for saying what he believed in.

He was NOT in A&E's "house" when he stated his religious beliefs.

Your analogy is absurd.

Offline musiclady

The discussion is not about what happens on the show.

Try to keep up, Luis.

Offline musiclady

A clear example of what I said earlier, he's only posting such things in order to draw attention to [himself] or for some other deep emotional need.

He's being deliberately obtuse, and changing the subject just to keep being contrarian.

It's a pattern.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
You're missing the fact that he lost his job because of the pressure of GLAAD for saying what he believed in.

He was NOT in A&E's "house" when he stated his religious beliefs.

Your analogy is absurd.

Earlier this year, a number of contestants in the reality show "Big Brother" made several clearly bigoted and racist remarks about other members of the cast. They were fired from their real-life jobs before the show ended because the companies that they worked for did not wish them to be associated with their companies.

That's an employer's right, and that is A&E's right as the network that airs Duck Dynasty. Generally speaking, we're an "at will" employment nation, and as such, an employer can fire you for a good reason, a bad reason, or no reason at all.

So things that you do outside of work can (and will) get you fired, like it or not.

If A&E did not wish to be associated with Phil Robertson as a result of his remarks, they had every right to do so.

In fact, they didn't even have to give anyone a reason why they fired him.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
The discussion is not about what happens on the show.

Try to keep up, Luis.

Go mother someone else, I already have one.