Author Topic: Laptop Issue  (Read 3472 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Laptop Issue
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 02:29:42 am »
When I got my current laptop, the store had statistics indicating the most reliable brands were Asus and Toshiba, so I got an Asus.

Have been satisfied with 2 Asus computers, thus far. A Netbook, and a 14" Core i3 Win 7 model.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 02:35:31 am »
Asus is good, but they usually have the absolute worst customer service.  Anytime I have to contact them for work, I just cringe.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 02:39:27 am »
flowers, why do you run your computer in safe mode?  Just curious.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 04:39:34 am »
Oceander is way smarter at this stuff than me - but an on board video card can't be repaired economically, even if you can find a good solder jockey. A separate one can.

You may need to check your budget for a replacement laptop in the near future. It could have just been a glitch. They happen. Or it could be the first sign of a system failure.

If the system has integrated graphics then it would cost more than a new, better-equipped, laptop to get it repaired, with no guarantee that the repair would be successful.  "Integrated" really does mean integrated, and as a result, if it fails, the systems it's integrated into fail.

Oceander

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 04:41:20 am »
Asus is good, but they usually have the absolute worst customer service.  Anytime I have to contact them for work, I just cringe.

Is Asus still in the ODM business?

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 04:50:52 am »
Is Asus still in the ODM business?

I don't know.  Before I worked there, we used them for our brand of laptops.  Needless to say, it turned into a Charlie Foxtrot.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 04:51:32 am »
I'm still running my trusty Dell Inspiron and it has given me no problems, except I wore out a few keys from a bit too much vigor when typing.....

Offline aligncare

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 04:58:58 am »
Stay away from Sony VAIO. Mine is a piece of expensive crap. It stopped being a portable device when the battery crapped out in six months, plus after less than a year, the plug-in from the AC adapter is loose and has to be jiggled.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:07:06 am by aligncare »

Oceander

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 05:04:55 am »
Stay away from Sony VAIO. Mine is a piece of expensive crap. It stopped being a portable device when the battery crapped out in six months, plus the plug-in from the AC adapter is loose and has to be jiggled after less than a year.

Absolutely!  The Sony VAIO is the apple Mac of the PC world, only it doesn't work nearly as flawlessly as the apple does.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 10:55:15 am »
Absolutely!  The Sony VAIO is the apple Mac of the PC world, only it doesn't work nearly as flawlessly as the apple does.

Firsthand experience regarding SONY products......NO MAS!!!!!!

Proof that sometimes the #1 brand might not be.....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 02:32:25 pm »
Dad has a Sony VAIO. The power connector crapped out pretty quickly (I think it was 6 months after he bought it - it wasn't in warranty.) Being a handy sort and rather frugal when it comes to spending, he permanently attached the power lead and put a new connector on the stub wire and the transformer. Looks funny, but it still works.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 04:10:11 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice