Author Topic: Wisconsin chooses to deny climate change is human-caused  (Read 412 times)

rangerrebew

Wisconsin chooses to deny climate change is human-caused
« on: January 02, 2017, 12:15:16 pm »
Wisconsin chooses to deny climate change is human-caused
Listen | Print
By Karen Graham     13 hours ago in Environment

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources has quietly and with absolutely no fanfare removed wording from its website that said humans and greenhouse gasses are the cause of climate change. And they have added some false facts, akin to fake news.

Under the heading, The Great Lakes and a changing world, the department removed any words asserting that humans and greenhouse gasses were responsible for climate change. Instead, the first paragraph reads: ""As it has done throughout the centuries, the earth is going through a change. The reasons for this change at this particular time in the earth's long history are being debated and researched by academic entities outside the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.""

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/environment/wisconsin-chooses-to-deny-climate-change-is-human-caused/article/482785#ixzz4Ubch2blN

Online goatprairie

Re: Wisconsin chooses to deny climate change is human-caused
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 02:52:31 pm »
I am not a person who says that humans cannot affect the climate somehow. But if true, the extent to which humans affect climate has not been scientifically established.
Furthermore, climate is always changing by natural causes. In  past millennia, before machines and carbon emissions,  the earth has been markedly warmer than now. If warmer temps cause unmitigated disaster and ruin,  how are we still here?

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 03:35:56 pm »
Of course the 97% figure itself is bogus (but not "fake news" a Newspeak phrase meaning in standard English "anti-lefist or anti-globalist propaganda or disinformation from non-state sources") -- it's not 97% of scientists, but 97% of peer-reviewed papers from a somewhat old sample that obviously excluded Russian papers.  In Russia climatology is based on solar astrophysics, rather than general circulation models of the earth's atmosphere, and they are expecting global cooling.  The survey was also taken before recent empirical work in the Arctic that found that all of the computer models used to justify hobbling the West's economic growth and shift power over energy use and development from the market to the government severely underestimated the change in Arctic albedo, due in part (perhaps almost entirely) to "light absorbing impurities" (i.e. soot).

I quite favor soot as an explanation, since it, unlike greenhouse gasses, explains the asymmetry between the Arctic and Antarctic -- continental Antarctica has been cooling through the entire period AGW polemics was being hawked to justify expanded government, while the Arctic has been warming.  Why more soot in the Northern Hemsphere?  Coal burning in China and to a lesser extend Russia and India (together with more land-masses for forest fires to contribute to the process).  Of course this means that the observed climate change -- Arctic warming, not global warming -- is anthropogenic, but not by the means proposed by Western (possibly excluding Danish) climatologists.  And not in a way that justifies suppressing fossil fuel use in general.  Of course the fix -- getting the Chinese People's Congress, the Russian Duma and Indian parliament to pass analogues of the American Clean Air Act and the executive in those countries to actually enforce it -- doesn't provide a way of concentrating more power in Washington and Brussels.

I hope this thread will not be dragged down by the usual postings of assertions that human activity cannot change the climate.  Plainly it can.  I am grateful for that fact, since before the Corps of Engineers built lots of dams and provided the Great Plains with lakes, winters were colder and summers hotter than they now are here in Kansas. 
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 11:34:34 pm »
This is a fairly pure example of "fake news."  The Wisconsin DNR text is exactly correct.  However, that doesn't fit the narrative that digitaljournal is pushing, so they have to portray it as being false because they disagree with it.  Luckily for us normal folks, that sort of thing is more and more obvious to folks now and is widely ignored.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!