General Category > Health/Education

GOP Gains Democratic Support for Bill to Allow Keeping Insurance

<< < (3/3)

sinkspur:

--- Quote from: Lando Lincoln on November 12, 2013, 07:26:24 pm ---Passing a bill like that through Congress would put Obama in a hell of a bind - but, everyone is right.  This can't be undone as simply as that.  I suspect the damage will be epic.

--- End quote ---

The insurance companies have already factored the new policies into their business plans next year.  And these new plans have been in the works for two years.  Now, to go back to insurers and say they have to be ready, in a very short period of time, to factor old policies into a mix with the new plans and to price them such that they're still profitable (knowing that 80% of the premium must be used to cover health costs) can't be done. 

And the Obama administration knows that.  If they allow old policies to be resurrected, the entire Obamacare business model falls apart. Republicans need to be ready with an alternative (tax credits) because most of any "fix" will have to come through legislation.   Republicans have to be ready to say with credibility that this is what happens when government injects itself into the insurance market.  If anything, there needs to be less government intrusion, not more.

By January 1, lots of Democrats will be running for the tall grass, ready to embrace anything that makes sure people have coverage. Republicans won't vote for single payer, and everybody knows it.

Lando Lincoln:
sinkspur... I end up agreeing with you far more often than not. 

An outright repeal will be more likely than any fix.  There are too many fatal flaws in the law to be "fixed".  And, the Fed will need to allow provisional exemptions, deductions and credits in the tax code for people getting hurt in very real ways.  Only way...

Then, there will be the problem of supporting a critically injured insurance industry.

My God... what we have wrought.

Olivia:

--- Quote from: Lando Lincoln on November 12, 2013, 07:54:59 pm ---
My God... what we have wrought.

--- End quote ---

We???   :laugh:   I ain't no democrat! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version