General Category > Health/Education

GOP Gains Democratic Support for Bill to Allow Keeping Insurance

(1/3) > >>

happyg:
By Audrey Hudson
House Republicans this week are expected to pass with Democratic support legislation that would allow individuals to keep their health insurance plans in spite of new Obamacare rules forcing the cancellation of millions of policies, The Hill reports.

Authored by Rep. Fred Upton, Michigan Republican and chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, the bill says that individual healthcare policies that were effective as of January 2013 must be grandfathered in the new system.

"You're not going to be subject to a penalty. You're not going to be forced to find something else," Upton told Newsmax in an exclusive interview.

The Hill reports that passage of the bill by Friday would be "a potential embarrassment for Obama, as several Democrats are likely to support the measure."

Although numerous Republican efforts in the House to block Obamacare have failed to gain traction in the Senate, The Hill also reports that four Democrats have introduced a similar measure, "a sign that some Democrats are increasingly becoming convinced of the need to change the law, but it's also a sign that these Democrats feel vulnerable on this issue -- three of the four Senate Democrats supporting the bill are up for re-election next year."

Upton said the new pressure by the House coupled with significant glitches in the new healthcare system would put pressure on the Senate to "force the president to keep his promise."

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/upton-democrats-obamacare-insurance/2013/11/10/id/535797#ixzz2kG6AHevN

rangerrebew:
I don't understand this at all, but then I'm not a politician.  Why are republicans bailing out the democrats on anything to do with Obamacare?  The only thing that pops into my mind is the ObamaCare bill will have to be totally restructured to take into account all the money they won't  be getting that they planned on from people losing their insurance which will drive the insurance costs for young people even higher.  If it happens, democrats will be given credit for it by the media so republicans will lose on that. :shrug:

Bigun:

--- Quote from: rangerrebew on November 10, 2013, 09:20:02 pm ---I don't understand this at all, but then I'm not a politician.  Why are republicans bailing out the democrats on anything to do with Obamacare?  The only thing that pops into my mind is the ObamaCare bill will have to be totally restructured to take into account all the money they won't  be getting that they planned on from people losing their insurance which will drive the insurance costs for young people even higher.  If it happens, democrats will be given credit for it by the media so republicans will lose on that. :shrug:

--- End quote ---

Believe it or not there are still a few people in Washington who will, once in a while, do something for the good of the country without regard to the political implications.

Chieftain:
Ain't gonna happen.  If it doesn't die in the Senate, Premier Hussein will veto it.

Bigun:

--- Quote from: Chieftain on November 10, 2013, 10:33:07 pm ---Ain't gonna happen.  If it doesn't die in the Senate, Premier Hussein will veto it.

--- End quote ---

Please God! Let that happen!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version