Author Topic: I have another video I'd like your input on.  (Read 23171 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Re: I have another video I'd like your input on.
« Reply #225 on: October 20, 2013, 06:31:48 pm »
I don't think he's working on an MBA.  I think he is working on a Master's in history.

I stand corrected.  Trying to shorten keystrokes on my pad here.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #226 on: October 20, 2013, 06:38:53 pm »
Vintage slide rule- $400

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LARGE-7-FT-PICKETT-SLIDE-RULE-MODEL-N803-ES-FREE-SHIPPING-/331048284916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1403f2f4

Nice work moderators of the site--making a valid point into a trivial joke. I'm confident we are all impressed with your collective wisdom and wit.  Keep it up please.  You're the smartest people in the room I'm told.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #227 on: October 20, 2013, 07:12:00 pm »
There are several depictions of Gen Y, many of which are not complimentary.

http://www.livescience.com/38061-millennials-generation-y.html

and

http://nation.time.com/2013/05/09/millennials-the-next-greatest-generation/

"I am about to do what old people have done throughout history: call those younger than me lazy, entitled, selfish and shallow. But I have studies! I have statistics! I have quotes from respected academics! Unlike my parents, my grandparents and my great-grandparents, I have proof.

Here's the cold, hard data: The incidence of narcissistic personality disorder is nearly three times as high for people in their 20s as for the generation that's now 65 or older, according to the National Institutes of Health; 58% more college students scored higher on a narcissism scale in...

Read more: http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2143001,00.html#ixzz2iI6cnb8b
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #228 on: October 20, 2013, 07:14:45 pm »
Nice work moderators of the site--making a valid point into a trivial joke. I'm confident we are all impressed with your collective wisdom and wit.  Keep it up please.  You're the smartest people in the room I'm told.

I did throw it out, that isn't a joke.  He saved everything... I'd rather endure a root canal than a garage sale so what I didn't give away I threw away...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline aligncare

« Reply #229 on: October 20, 2013, 07:16:22 pm »
Once again I'd like to point out that Liberal's presence here has contributed to the longest and most interesting discussions since maybe the presidential election season.

While I would never have trolled a liberal site myself, Liberal had the courage to come here and face us in his resplendent naiveté. So, for that, I thank you Liberal_Spy! And on behalf of myself only—and perhaps a handful of others—please accept an honorary membership to my favorite group, Conservatives For Reality. Your membership card plus this 8 x 10 glossy photo suitable for framing will arrive by United States postal Service (that is if the line at the post office isn't too long):

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #230 on: October 20, 2013, 07:18:48 pm »
Sadly I don't think k o e word written here has changed his world view even little bit.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #231 on: October 20, 2013, 07:20:16 pm »
Sadly I don't think k o e word written here has changed his world view even little bit.

No, but it's a helluva thread nonetheless.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #232 on: October 20, 2013, 07:21:38 pm »
No, but it's a helluva thread nonetheless.

true

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #233 on: October 20, 2013, 07:24:38 pm »

Possibly not. When you were that young, you thought you knew it all. Know I did!

Still - it is a good thread, so thank you L-S.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2013, 07:32:50 pm »
Possibly not. When you were that young, you thought you knew it all. Know I did!

Still - it is a good thread, so thank you L-S.

I didn't think of government as my mommie and daddy... ever... I always have known I am responsible for me.  I not only put myself through school.. never in my life did I ever take one dime from my parents for anything...I babysat and worked in high school to buy my own school clothes and when I left home at 18 I didn't even take my car... I went out and bought my own car... So I've been aware always that the only person responsible fir me and my good or bad decisions in life is me.  I can't ever thinking if only Uncle Sam would pay for something
.. I want less Uncle Sam, not more... always have felt that way.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #235 on: October 20, 2013, 07:36:54 pm »
School was very different back then, even here in liberal New York. They reinforced the lessons we learned at home not contradict them like today
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:37:23 pm by aligncare »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #236 on: October 20, 2013, 07:39:19 pm »
School was very different back then, even here in liberal New York. They reinforced the lessons we learned at home not contradict them like today

Yep... remember civics class back then?  I LOVED civics.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #237 on: October 20, 2013, 07:59:07 pm »

I didn't think of government as my mommie and daddy... ever... I always have known I am responsible for me.  I not only put myself through school.. never in my life did I ever take one dime from my parents for anything...I babysat and worked in high school to buy my own school clothes and when I left home at 18 I didn't even take my car... I went out and bought my own car... So I've been aware always that the only person responsible fir me and my good or bad decisions in life is me.  I can't ever thinking if only Uncle Sam would pay for something

Same. I left home at 15 - with my parents blessing and approval. They scraped up £150 to stick in my pocket, which was both surprising and frightening. More money then I had ever seen in my life, at the time.
I have never taken a cent from the government. I have worked jobs that would make you puke just to keep food on the table. One year - I recall spending most of my time not working in the bath, trying to get clean again. 3 kids between the ages of 1 and 4 and my job was literally shoveling human shit 10 hours a day in the sewers. It paid well. Mainly cause no bugger wanted to do the job.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #238 on: October 20, 2013, 08:14:18 pm »
The slide rule (mine is a K & E) is a work of art and a single feat of mechanical and mathematical genius.  Everything I enjoy now is entirely due to the beauty and accuracy of the K&E and my ability to put it to effective use. 

How can one put a monetary value on such a magnificent invention of man?  It's monetary value has no meaning against its contributions to the R&D community.
Collectors can collectively go to hell, IMHO.

PS:  We sent a man to the moon largely double checking early IBM 790's computation reults using slide rules.

I had a couple of Picketts and several others the manufacturers of which I can't even recall now.  I gave a couple away to people who needed them and couldn't afford them. Have no idea what happened to the others. Got lost in moves I presume.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:14:44 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #239 on: October 20, 2013, 08:17:38 pm »

When we were coming of age such an idea had yet to be conceived and to tell you the truth I REALLY had a hard time taking money from uncle sugar for my education even after having "earned" it through my service in Vietnam. The idea was foreign!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:48:24 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #240 on: October 20, 2013, 08:34:24 pm »
Once again I'd like to point out that Liberal's presence here has contributed to the longest and most interesting discussions since maybe the presidential election season.

While I would never have trolled a liberal site myself, Liberal had the courage to come here and face us in his resplendent naiveté. So, for that, I thank you Liberal_Spy! And on behalf of myself only—and perhaps a handful of others—please accept an honorary membership to my favorite group, Conservatives For Reality. Your membership card plus this 8 x 10 glossy photo suitable for framing will arrive by United States postal Service (that is if the line at the post office isn't too long):

Reading his posts, I would take it he is far more libertarian than liberal. I think to many young, being liberal is just what you are supposed to be in order to be accepted and they still have the naive view that liberalism=accepting and open mindedness. Liberal politics is just the opposite of accepting and open.  It is the vast difference between the 'classic liberal' of Jefferson and the political Liberal of today like Pelosi and Obama.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2013, 08:38:34 pm »
Who calls it a luxury?

A piece of paper to wave in recruiters faces is no luxury, it is obligatory now.

Actually, now because 'that piece of paper' is becoming a dime in a dozen, specific certifications are much more highly prized by recruiters. PMP is the hot certification right now and one can earn it for a fraction of the time and price of getting a degree. A degree does help you stand apart from those who don't have one, but it is like a car with no air conditioning- it will get you from here to there but no one will want to hop in with you.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2013, 08:44:15 pm »
Reading his posts, I would take it he is far more libertarian than liberal. I think to many young, being liberal is just what you are supposed to be in order to be accepted and they still have the naive view that liberalism=accepting and open mindedness. Liberal politics is just the opposite of accepting and open.  It is the vast difference between the 'classic liberal' of Jefferson and the political Liberal of today like Pelosi and Obama.

Very true. I'm glad you pointed that out.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2013, 09:02:05 pm »

He's a history major but I doubt he knows the difference between classical liberalism and modern liberalism.  He would, however, know every minor figure in history who was female, gay or black.  And he would know that they managed whatever they did -- inventing the pumpkin seeder or something -- in spite of the fact that the system was rigged against them.