General Category > General Discussion

How do you feel about Edward Snowden and the NSA leaks?

<< < (2/4) > >>

ABX:

--- Quote from: Rapunzel on October 12, 2013, 09:33:25 pm ---Hmmm actually here on TBR we knew Clapper lied WHEN HE LIED.  This is what I mean about looking beneath the surface on issues...  A lot of what Snowden revealed was not a huge shock to us here... more like confirmation of what we had already been discussing.

--- End quote ---

If there every was a case made out of this, it will be hard pressed to say he released anything that wasn't already in the public domain somehow. There were actually German spies in the US who were pardoned after the war because they were able to prove that the info they took was in the public domain.

massadvj:

--- Quote from: Rapunzel on October 12, 2013, 09:33:25 pm ---Hmmm actually here on TBR we knew Clapper lied WHEN HE LIED.  This is what I mean about looking beneath the surface on issues...  A lot of what Snowden revealed was not a huge shock to us here... more like confirmation of what we had already been discussing.

--- End quote ---

Very true.  It was shocking to some on the left because their "messiah" got elected based on his anti-Patriot Act and anti-Guantanamo rhetoric.  Still, we hardly hear a peep of protest from the left about NSA spying, drones, Benghazi and the various Mideast military adventures.  Democrats simply do not criticize Democrat wars and abuses.  It's like joining the mafia.  Once you are in, you are "made" and you have a license to do whatever you like with impunity.

I wonder what the discourse from the left would be like if a Republican president governed with the identical policies OPapaDoc has been pursuing?  Never mind.  We already know the answer to that.

Liberal_Spy:

--- Quote from: massadvj on October 12, 2013, 09:44:19 pm ---Still, we hardly hear a peep of protest from the left about NSA spying, drones, Benghazi and the various Mideast military adventures.  Democrats simply do not criticize Democrat wars and abuses. 

--- End quote ---

Reddit (the place I get a lot of my news) is predominately left wing thinkers, and pretty much all of them were outraged at Obama and the US government as a whole over everything related to the NSA leaks. There is a good reason Obama's approval has dropped so much. Most of that dropping is among the left wing.

massadvj:

--- Quote from: AbaraXas on October 12, 2013, 09:41:49 pm ---If there every was a case made out of this, it will be hard pressed to say he released anything that wasn't already in the public domain somehow. There were actually German spies in the US who were pardoned after the war because they were able to prove that the info they took was in the public domain.

--- End quote ---

I teach a course in e-commerce and the text I use mentions that about 95 percent of US Internet communications are sifted by the federal government for terrorist security.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the government must have a data archive on citizen communication that could be culled for information whenever desired.  So, yes, Snowden just confirmed what everyone had already suspected.

Maybe some of those on the left were shocked that their precious OPapaDoc would be complicit in such a thing.  But they have been completely blind to the fraud from day one.   

massadvj:

--- Quote from: Liberal_Spy on October 12, 2013, 09:47:58 pm ---Reddit (the place I get a lot of my news) is predominately left wing thinkers, and pretty much all of them were outraged at Obama and the US government as a whole over everything related to the NSA leaks. There is a good reason Obama's approval has dropped so much. Most of that dropping is among the left wing.

--- End quote ---

Uh-huh.  Funny they aren't "occupying" anything or taking part in any civil disobedience, which they certainly would be doing if a GOP president were pursuing the same policies. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version