Author Topic: CRUZ VS. GREGORY: 5 LESSONS  (Read 1566 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
CRUZ VS. GREGORY: 5 LESSONS
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:47:43 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/09/30/Cruz-vs-Gregory-5-Lessons

by JOEL B. POLLAK  30 Sep 2013, 10:13 AM PDT

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) put on a masterclass in his appearance on NBC News' Meet the Press with David Gregory on Sunday. In less than twenty minutes, Cruz not only demolished Democrat arguments--as transmitted by the ever-eager Gregory--but also showed a keen insight into debate tactics that Republicans often lack. Here are the five key tactics, which should be studied and drilled into Republican politicians in media training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StT_aHBBWbA

1. Question the premise. On two separate occasions, Cruz pushed back against the implicit assumptions in questions Gregory asked--assumptions designed by Gregory to put Cruz on the defensive. In each case, Cruz challenged the question itself before answering, and then used his answer to return to the offensive.

In the first case, Gregory implied Cruz had not engaged in a "debate" about how to "change" Obamacare:

GREGORY: It's interesting. Democrats say, "You know, the problem with Senator Cruz's position is that it's a purist position." There are problems with Obamacare. The White House admits that. We talked about polling in some quarters indicating great dissatisfaction with the law, as you're talking about in Town Hall meetings. But you have to engaged in a debate about how they change the law. What you've gone out and said is, "Let's kill the law all together. Let's de-fund it."

CRUZ: Actually, with respect, David, I think the premise of your question is wrong. It is the Democrats who have taken the absolutist position. Look, I've engaged-- I'd like to repeal every word of the law. But that wasn't my position, even in this fight.

That turnabout created headlines, drawing public attention to the refusal of Democrats to compromise.

In the second case, Gregory brutally distorted a remark by Cruz about Neville Chamberlain:

GREGORY: Do you regret comparing the future of Obamacare to the rise of Hitler in Nazi Germany?

CRUZ: Well, the premise of your question isn't true. I didn't make that comparison. What I said is that there have been many voices in Washington who've said, "We can't do this, we can't do this, we can't do this." And I went through the contracts where, over and over again, when facing big challenges, Americans have risen to the occasion, whether it was the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World War II, whether it was going to the moon under John F. Kennedy, or whether it was winning the Cold War.

The addition of Kennedy at the end--to counter Gregory's false Hitler reference--was a nice touch.

2. Stick to the message. Gregory wanted to make the interview all about a government shutdown. Cruz kept his own answers focused on Obamacare. That frustrated Gregory, who nearly lost his composure: "You're making an argument....You've made all these arguments. My goodness, you went and spoke for 21 hours to make these arguments. You haven't moved anyone." Cruz, in contrast, looked calm and focused--and kept the debate on terms where he had the distinct advantage, given Obamacare's unpopularity.

An additional note on this point: Democrats, having been through the talking-points-factory that is left-wing media training (and produces such robots as Debbie Wasserman Schultz), are very good at sticking to their message, but largely because they simply keep repeating it, regardless of the circumstances. What Cruz did was different, and more effective: he found a way to make his message relevant to each context in the debate.

3. Cite your opponents' supporters in your favor. Gregory came armed with quotes from Republicans and Beltway conservatives who disapprove of what Cruz is doing. Cruz countered, as he did frequently on the Senate floor, with direct quotes from Democrats' core constituents, including Teamsters Union leader James Hoffa, who has led a new surge of opposition to Obamacare from the left. Cruz's ready access to the Hoffa quote also shows the importance of research and preparation, and reflects well on his political staff.

4. Never forget your constituency. My favorite moment in the interview was when Gregory read Cruz an extended quote from George Will, and Cruz responded by saying, effectively, that Will only represents his own view, while a Senator from Texas represents millions of voters who knew what they were getting:

GREGORY: George Will, who's been a conservative columnist for The Washington Post and others, has been very supportive of you in the past. But he wrote this, this week. I want to have you respond to it...

CRUZ: Look, I'm just trying to fight for 26 million Texans and for the American people. And I'm pretty sure George Will, in that column, argued that what we should be doing is delaying Obamacare, which is exactly what the House of Representatives just voted to do.

5. Believe that your opponent secretly agrees with you. Gregory is certainly on the left, but Cruz never treated him as an enemy. Rather, he approached the host as if he could be brought 'round, given the true facts. The above quote, about George Will, is instructive. Note that Cruz did not say that Will was wrong--instead, he found a point of agreement within Will's column and emphasized that. By finding ways to show that his opponents might actually agree with him, Cruz encouraged even skeptical viewers to ask themselves whether they might, as well. And his supporters had plenty to cheer without watching yet another Republican guest try to earn points with the press by backtracking on previous convictions.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: CRUZ VS. GREGORY: 5 LESSONS
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 09:53:51 pm »
Bad, bad move for an intellectual lightweight like Gregory to take on someone with Cruz's background.

While at Princeton, he competed for the American Whig-Cliosophic Society's Debate Panel and won the top speaker award at both the 1992 U.S. National Debating Championship and the 1992 North American Debating Championship.[26] In 1992, he was named U.S. National Speaker of the Year and Team of the Year (with his debate partner, David Panton).[27] Cruz was also a semi-finalist at the 1995 World Universities Debating Championship.[28]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Cruz
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:58:06 pm »
This is just so nice to watch for a change... I haven't seen anyone with this kind of spine since Reagan.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:05:29 pm »
This is just so nice to watch for a change... I haven't seen anyone with this kind of spine since Reagan.

Ms. Rap... I'm coming around.  I'm coming around.
("Ms. Rap"... I like that!)
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:08:30 pm »
Ms. Rap... I'm coming around.  I'm coming around.
("Ms. Rap"... I like that!)

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 10:16:48 pm »
David Gregory is so used to interviewing people like McCain, Graham, Peter King that he is totally unprepared to interview the likes of Ted Cruz.

Another thing he tried to drive home was Cruz fundraising over Obamacare defunding. In fact, what Cruz has done shows he is actually more adept at this politics thing than Rand Paul (and you all know I do like Rand Paul).... Cruz is taking a page from the DNC, Obama playbook and he is building a massive mailing list and there is nothing more valuable than that list if you do decide to run for POTUS.  I would love to watch a debate with Cruz and Hillary -- heck I'd love to watch him debate Obama.