Author Topic: Tom Coburn to MSNBC: ‘I’m No Longer a Conservative’ According to Ted Cruz  (Read 18701 times)

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

I don't like to lose, and we were always going to lose a confrontation over Obamacare and a Continuing Resolution.   Cruz is wasting his time and the time of legislators who want to move on to the debt ceiling fight, where the GOP's chances are much better.

You are not a visionary at all, are you? 

You are a very task-oriented compartmentalized thinker: one issue at a time, one short term deadline at a time.  Obamacare.  Wash.  Debt ceiling.  Rinse.   Food stamp budget.  Repeat.   Nothing wrong with that, because this country certainly requires those folks to deal with that, but Cruz is a different animal aiming for longer-term, bigger picture goals than you can even begin to wrap your mind around.  Its like we're speaking a different language.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

You are a very task-oriented compartmentalized thinker: one issue at a time, one short term deadline at a time.  Obamacare.  Wash.  Debt ceiling.  Rinse.   Food stamp budget.  Repeat.   Nothing wrong with that, because this country certainly requires those folks to deal with that, but Cruz is a different animal aiming for longer-term, bigger picture goals than you can even begin to wrap your mind around.  Its like we're speaking a different language.

I think you have correctly identified the problem my dear! BRAVO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

Actually Clinton was blamed - until Newt opened his mouth and inserted his foot and Clinton walked into the gaping hole....... but in FACT the senate won TWO seats for the GOP in the next election and we did not lose the house - and as I tell you and you continue to ignore (preferring your own history is my guess) Dole did not lose because of the shutdown unless you count in he made an ass of himself like Corker, Coburn etc., and totally pissed off the voters.  Dole was his own boring worst enemy in that election.

The GOP was blamed for the shutdown in 1995, Rap.  There was never any blame given to Clinton. 

I thought you were a Newt fan.  Newt bitching about his seat on Air Force One didn't help matters.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

I think you have correctly identified the problem my dear! BRAVO!

:kisses2:

Offline sinkspur

You are once again revealing the problem. Doing what is right is more important than worrying who gets the blame or the credit. If, for example, we were able to shift public support strongly against abortion and could have it end forever, but Obama gets credit, I wouldn't care who gets the credit or blame.

Or as Reagan liked to quote: "There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit"

What kind of example is that?  Nonsensical.

A better example would be Obama suddenly championing tax reform.  If he did that, Democrats would take away a major GOP issue and Hillary would be a shoo-in in 2016. 

It matters who controls the levers of government.  Doing the right thing and losing in politics is like pissing in the ocean.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
You know what this is starting to remind me of? The scene in Idiocracy when no one could figure why the plants wouldn't grow when they kept pouring "Brawndo" (it has electrolytes) on the crops. They were told it should help them grow, everyone knew it should grow, they have always poured Brawndo on the plants and they never grew but they were supposed to.

When Not Sure suggested using water, they tried to execute him.

Offline sinkspur

Yeah.  That visionary Ted Cruz.  The man who, when he was an aide to Bush, knocked everybody else down getting to the door to be seen by powerful GOP figures.

Perhaps Ted is the next Ronald Reagan.  Reagan was known as a gracious fence-mender who was happy to get 80% of what he wanted, knowing he could come back and work on the other 20%.

With Cruz, it's all or nothing.  Like Obama, he's finding out that all-or-nothing doesn't work in Washington or in life.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
You know what this is starting to remind me of? The scene in Idiocracy when no one could figure why the plants wouldn't grow when they kept pouring "Brawndo" (it has electrolytes) on the crops. They were told it should help them grow, everyone knew it should grow, they have always poured Brawndo on the plants and they never grew but they were supposed to.

When Not Sure suggested using water, they tried to execute him.

Beginning to remind me of the old adage about not trying to teach a pig to sing because it just wastes your time and annoys the pig!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

With Cruz, it's all or nothing.  Like Obama, he's finding out that all-or-nothing doesn't work in Washington or in life.

Unclutter thy brain of process wonkage.  Behold the bigger picture.

Offline Rapunzel

The GOP was blamed for the shutdown in 1995, Rap.  There was never any blame given to Clinton. 

I thought you were a Newt fan.  Newt bitching about his seat on Air Force One didn't help matters.

I think Newt is very smart.  Too often he outsmarts himself. The 1995 shut down is a case in point... IF he had kept his mouth shut we might have won more than two seats in the 1996 election... but either way Dole was a lost cause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_government_shutdown_of_1995_and_1996

snip....

Clinton's approval rating fell significantly during the shutdown. According to media commentators, this indicated that the general public blamed the President for the government shutdown.[8] However, once it had ended his approval ratings rose to their highest since his election.

During the crisis, Gingrich made a complaint at a press breakfast that, during a flight to and from Yitzhak Rabin's funeral in Israel, Clinton had not taken the opportunity to talk about the budget and Gingrich had been directed to leave the plane via the rear door. The perception arose that the Republican stance on the budget was partly due to this "snub" by Clinton,[9] and media coverage reflected this perception, including an editorial cartoon which depicted Gingrich as an infant throwing a temper tantrum.[10] Opposing politicians used this opportunity to attack Gingrich's motives for the budget standoff.[11][12] Later, the polls suggested that the event damaged Gingrich politically[13] and he referred to his comments as the "single most avoidable mistake" as Speaker.[14]
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

Unclutter thy brain of process wonkage.  Behold the bigger picture.

Ah, yes.  The "big picture" man, the visionary who sees the things we ordinary schlubs can't see, the seer who is always two steps ahead of other mere mortals,  the dreamer who persuades by equating his opposition to Nazi enablers.

This is the same bullshit Democrats spouted about Obama.  Only Obama could see the "bigger picture."

Don't be disappointed when you figure out that Cruz is doing all this to pad his resume for 2016.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Ah, yes.  The "big picture" man, the visionary who sees the things we ordinary schlubs can't see, the seer who is always two steps ahead of other mere mortals,  the dreamer who persuades by equating his opposition to Nazi enablers.

This is the same bullshit Democrats spouted about Obama.  Only Obama could see the "bigger picture."

Don't be disappointed when you figure out that Cruz is doing all this to pad his resume for 2016.

I guess that answers my question! You are NOT going to stop lying about what Cruz said!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

the dreamer who persuades by equating his opposition to Nazi enablers.

You just love twisting things to fit your own paradigm rather than to reflect the truth... some very intelligent people here have explained to you this is not what he said, yet you insist of spewing this nonetheless.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

I guess that answers my question! You are NOT going to stop lying about what Cruz said!

Here's what Cruz said:

"If you go to the 1940s, Nazi Germany... look, we saw in Britain, Neville Chamberlain, who told the British people, ‘Accept the Nazis. Yes, they’ll dominate the continent of Europe but that’s not our problem. Let’s appease them. Why? Because it can’t be done. We can’t possibly stand against them.’”

Now, who did Cruz equate to Neville Chamberlain?  Here's a hint:  Republican Senators who disagree with him.

Ted Cruz apparently believes that opposing his tactics on defunding Obamacare is the equivalent of appeasing the Nazis.

Offline sinkspur

You just love twisting things to fit your own paradigm rather than to reflect the truth... some very intelligent people here have explained to you this is not what he said, yet you insist of spewing this nonetheless.

Very intelligent people can be blinded by ideology.  Some here definitely have.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Here's what Cruz said:

"If you go to the 1940s, Nazi Germany... look, we saw in Britain, Neville Chamberlain, who told the British people, ‘Accept the Nazis. Yes, they’ll dominate the continent of Europe but that’s not our problem. Let’s appease them. Why? Because it can’t be done. We can’t possibly stand against them.’”

Now, who did Cruz equate to Neville Chamberlain?  Here's a hint:  Republican Senators who disagree with him.

Ted Cruz apparently believes that opposing his tactics on defunding Obamacare is the equivalent of appeasing the Nazis.

I know what he said and am able to read and interpret the English language quite well! That does not say what you continue to say it says as you have been told many times before so I'm just going to put it like this "if the shoe fits wear it"!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

I know what he said and am able to read and interpret the English language quite well! That does not say what you continue to say it says as you have been told many times before so I'm just going to put it like this "if the shoe fits wear it"!

Bigun, I love ya, but Cruz has never denied that his words were directed at his fellow GOP Senators.

Offline Rapunzel

Most of our senators ARE like Chamberlain.. they are sitting back and going along to get along rather than stick their necks out and actually fight for something... Chamberlain was an enabler, McCain, Graham, Cornyn, Corker, Coburn, etc., are all enablers.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Bigun, I love ya, but Cruz has never denied that his words were directed at his fellow GOP Senators.

Why should he deny something so patently obvious?  And even if he WAS directing it toward them they should wear the shoe if it fits!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Most of our senators ARE like Chamberlain.. they are sitting back and going along to get along rather than stick their necks out and actually fight for something... Chamberlain was an enabler, McCain, Graham, Cornyn, Corker, Coburn, etc., are all enablers.

I'm going to have to agree with you on that one. And another thing, why can't we throw that out there?  We have been the recipient of those comparisons for a long time. Let's call it like we see it.

Offline sinkspur

I'm going to have to agree with you on that one. And another thing, why can't we throw that out there?  We have been the recipient of those comparisons for a long time. Let's call it like we see it.

So my Senator, John Cornyn, is now the equivalent of a Nazi enabler because he disagrees with Ted Cruz's tactics.

Insanity.

Offline Rapunzel

He is AC's AB's, Bigun's and many other of our member's senators, too... and my sister, step sisters, step mother, Aunts, Uncles, and more....   Cornyn has been part of the problem for a very long time.  Remember he (along with McCain) pushed Crist to run for the senate in Florida and were thoroughly pissed when Rubio decided to challenge their guy (Crist - who is now a Democrat)... sadly this isn't a one-of case while he ran the RNSC.

Offline sinkspur

He is AC's AB's, Bigun's and many other of our member's senators, too... and my sister, step sisters, step mother, Aunts, Uncles, and more....   Cornyn has been part of the problem for a very long time.  Remember he (along with McCain) pushed Crist to run for the senate in Florida and were thoroughly pissed when Rubio decided to challenge their guy (Crist - who is now a Democrat)... sadly this isn't a one-of case while he ran the RNSC.

Cornyn is part of what problem?

I'm in a parallel universe here. 

Nobody knew who Marco Rubio was.  Crist lost, then the RNSC supported Rubio.  And now Rubio has gone off the reservation with his amnesty bill and actually opposed Cornyn when he asked for more border security.

John Cornyn has drawn no serious primary opposition and will win easily in 2014. 

Meanwhile, this place will apparently wig out over anybody who disagrees with the walk-on-water Ted Cruz.

Offline Rapunzel

Oh we all knew who who Rubio was. We also knew Crist had been a lousy governor, who stabbed Rudy in the back, who avoided Bush when he flew down to Florida toward the end of his term, who had hugged up to Obama and if we knew it then Cornyn and McCain DAMNED well knew it, too.   

Offline SlapLeather

Cornyn is part of what problem?

I'm in a parallel universe here. 

Nobody knew who Marco Rubio was.  Crist lost, then the RNSC supported Rubio.  And now Rubio has gone off the reservation with his amnesty bill and actually opposed Cornyn when he asked for more border security.

John Cornyn has drawn no serious primary opposition and will win easily in 2014. 

Meanwhile, this place will apparently wig out over anybody who disagrees with the walk-on-water Ted Cruz.

It's the Jingle Bobs.  We hear you coming.  Careful... too much spur at the cliffs edge will send the rider over.