Author Topic: Ray Donovan - Showtime Series ...caution [spoilers ]  (Read 14990 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Ray Donovan - Showtime Series ...caution [spoilers ]
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2014, 11:39:32 pm »

Put your money up, Luis......next episode coming up tonight.

We'll see if Ray is going to get on the couch with the pop inspirational speaker....or as you said, beat the crap out of him and get on the couch with the blonde.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2014, 02:26:23 am »
Wow!

Things are moving awfully fast now.....

What's the over and under on if Cochran ever lives to become the Attorney General of the United States?  The scene at the dinner table at that restaurant was unexpected, wasn't it?

And that 'crew' Mickey's thrown together to pull that job is bound to fail.

One thing for sure....I'm not a fan of Ray's wife anymore.  When she asked her policeman boyfriend to off the thug...she said, "Be a man"??  WTF?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2014, 04:11:01 pm »
Then ray jumps into the ocean the final scene. Makes you wonder what the 3 of them did?  Yeah the wife is horrible. I thought that guy was going to kill Cochran for sure.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2014, 04:53:33 pm »

Then ray jumps into the ocean the final scene. Makes you wonder what the 3 of them did? 

You notice that Ray has a soft spot for handicapped persons.  He warned the boyfriend that if he ever laid another hand on the peeping Tom/stalker that he'd kill him.

The swim in the ocean tells me that since his entire world seems to be going to sh*t, that...what the hell, maybe I'll surrender to the ocean and try to see if it brings him a little peace and clarity...to deal with what's coming next.

As an aside....I don't know why Ray doesn't just turn the spy sex tape over to the government...especially now that the poor schmuck underling killed himself.

Also, don't know why he didn't shoot Cochran in the face first....before he turned the gun on himself.  Or course, we'd expect it all to come out with a DOJ investigation of the restaurant shooting as to motive, etc..

Offline flowers

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2014, 05:20:28 pm »
You notice that Ray has a soft spot for handicapped persons.  He warned the boyfriend that if he ever laid another hand on the peeping Tom/stalker that he'd kill him.

The swim in the ocean tells me that since his entire world seems to be going to sh*t, that...what the hell, maybe I'll surrender to the ocean and try to see if it brings him a little peace and clarity...to deal with what's coming next.

As an aside....I don't know why Ray doesn't just turn the spy sex tape over to the government...especially now that the poor schmuck underling killed himself.

Also, don't know why he didn't shoot Cochran in the face first....before he turned the gun on himself.  Or course, we'd expect it all to come out with a DOJ investigation of the restaurant shooting as to motive, etc..

I would have expected that shoot Cochran in the face first then turn the gun on himself, yet this way Cochran will have issues to be top cop, and we don't know if Ray or the other guy before he killed himself sent the tapes to media or powers that be.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2014, 05:32:20 pm »
I would have expected that shoot Cochran in the face first then turn the gun on himself, yet this way Cochran will have issues to be top cop, and we don't know if Ray or the other guy before he killed himself sent the tapes to media or powers that be.

I don't think the suicide agent knew Ray and Avi set the cameras up.  Can't recall.   :shrug:

But no...Ray did not send the tape.  Remember that Cochran ordered Ray into his office and told him to "get rid" of the blonde writer/reporter, and that's when Ray told him she wasn't what he should be afraid of....and then showed him the video on his phone.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2014, 02:39:35 am »
Then ray jumps into the ocean the final scene. Makes you wonder what the 3 of them did?  Yeah the wife is horrible. I thought that guy was going to kill Cochran for sure.

You all need showers.

What man would get as looped as Ray said that he'd gotten, "do" anything sexual with any number of persons, then take the time to get fully dressed, down to his socks, before passing out on the couch?

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2014, 12:35:04 pm »
I watched the episode last night.  Here are my comments.

1. Ray did not have sex with the pop psycho and the pop star.  There remains an ambiguous relationship between the pop psycho and Ray, and there remains some sexual tension in it, but that was much less evident than in previous nights.  In Freudian dream interpretation, beaches and waves are symbolic of sex, so Ray jumping naked in the water in the same way the pop psycho did earlier does suggest that Ray is coming around surrendering to the pop psycho's will.  We still are not clear whether that will involve sex or just mind games.  If it is mind games, there will be a sexual undercurrent, you can bet on that much.

2. Why did Ray jump in the water?  I think it had multiple meanings.  The first is enumerated above.  Also, I think it is emblematic of Ray's desire to wash away his sins.  He was feeling particularly dirty at that moment, having violated his personal code of justice by nearly killing the girl reporter.  You'll remember that the pop psycho jumped into the waves after his act of violence against the stalker.  So Ray is both succumbing to the pop psycho by adopting this methodology for dealing with internal violence issues, and attempting to clear his conscience.

3. Ray would not turn the tape over to the government for the simple reason that the tape continues to have value for him.  In spite of the suicide by the young FBI man, the head honcho might well weasel his way out of the scandal.  Having the tape gives Ray leverage to save the reporter's life, whereas giving the tape up relinquishes control.  Remember, Ray is a total control freak.  He would never give up control and hope that events would evolve in the way he expects.  He desperately needs to control events himself.

4. It did seem strange that the FBI guy did not kill Cochran.  I think it's one of those things where the plot needs Cochran alive at this point, so he had to be spared.  But it is also plausible.  The young agent was a sniveling, butt-kissing coward.  He went to the restaurant intending to kill Cochran, but in the end he only had enough courage to kill himself.  The fact that Cochran's wife was pleading for his life may have had something to do with it.  I thought Cochran's facial expression at this point was priceless.  You could see Cochran was terribly inconvenienced and angry, but wasn't going to give a second's thought to whether he should feel culpable or guilty for the suicide.

5. Everything Ray's father touches turns to shit, and this robbery will be no different.  But watching it unfold will be fascinating.

Offline flowers

« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2014, 04:30:16 pm »
I watched the episode last night.  Here are my comments.

1. Ray did not have sex with the pop psycho and the pop star.  There remains an ambiguous relationship between the pop psycho and Ray, and there remains some sexual tension in it, but that was much less evident than in previous nights.  In Freudian dream interpretation, beaches and waves are symbolic of sex, so Ray jumping naked in the water in the same way the pop psycho did earlier does suggest that Ray is coming around surrendering to the pop psycho's will.  We still are not clear whether that will involve sex or just mind games.  If it is mind games, there will be a sexual undercurrent, you can bet on that much.

2. Why did Ray jump in the water?  I think it had multiple meanings.  The first is enumerated above.  Also, I think it is emblematic of Ray's desire to wash away his sins.  He was feeling particularly dirty at that moment, having violated his personal code of justice by nearly killing the girl reporter.  You'll remember that the pop psycho jumped into the waves after his act of violence against the stalker.  So Ray is both succumbing to the pop psycho by adopting this methodology for dealing with internal violence issues, and attempting to clear his conscience.

3. Ray would not turn the tape over to the government for the simple reason that the tape continues to have value for him.  In spite of the suicide by the young FBI man, the head honcho might well weasel his way out of the scandal.  Having the tape gives Ray leverage to save the reporter's life, whereas giving the tape up relinquishes control.  Remember, Ray is a total control freak.  He would never give up control and hope that events would evolve in the way he expects.  He desperately needs to control events himself.

4. It did seem strange that the FBI guy did not kill Cochran.  I think it's one of those things where the plot needs Cochran alive at this point, so he had to be spared.  But it is also plausible.  The young agent was a sniveling, butt-kissing coward.  He went to the restaurant intending to kill Cochran, but in the end he only had enough courage to kill himself.  The fact that Cochran's wife was pleading for his life may have had something to do with it.  I thought Cochran's facial expression at this point was priceless.  You could see Cochran was terribly inconvenienced and angry, but wasn't going to give a second's thought to whether he should feel culpable or guilty for the suicide.

5. Everything Ray's father touches turns to shit, and this robbery will be no different.  But watching it unfold will be fascinating.

:beer:  great summary.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2014, 01:54:32 am »
Like Vinnie Barbarino used to say...."I'M SO CONFUSED!!!"

Questions....

1) Did Ray's son accidentally set the oxygen tank so that it would blow when a spark was ignited?

2) What was Ray really going to do with the tape of the murder witnessed by Ray's daughter?  He sure as heck wasn't going to hand it to Cookie.  It would be a death warrant for his daughter, and possibly Ray.

3) Wouldn't the cops see the tape that Ray paid $20K for....that Marty tried to get $2Million for?  LOL!  After all, when you're arrested, don't they empty all your pockets? 

4)  WTH is Ezra up to?

5)  Jim Holloran is a piece of work.  He was going to plant coke on Cookie.  How did the partner not pursue it further?

6) Where is the safe now? 

7)  Who thinks that Ray's brother is going to give up his father and brother?  Not me.

Offline flowers

« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2014, 08:17:10 pm »
Like Vinnie Barbarino used to say...."I'M SO CONFUSED!!!"

Questions....

1) Did Ray's son accidentally set the oxygen tank so that it would blow when a spark was ignited?

2) What was Ray really going to do with the tape of the murder witnessed by Ray's daughter?  He sure as heck wasn't going to hand it to Cookie.  It would be a death warrant for his daughter, and possibly Ray.

3) Wouldn't the cops see the tape that Ray paid $20K for....that Marty tried to get $2Million for?  LOL!  After all, when you're arrested, don't they empty all your pockets? 

4)  WTH is Ezra up to?

5)  Jim Holloran is a piece of work.  He was going to plant coke on Cookie.  How did the partner not pursue it further?

7)  Who thinks that Ray's brother is going to give up his father and brother?  Not me.

It looks like he thinks he did.

Also the video is in Ray's car, now that he has been arrested won't the car be impounded?

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2014, 12:46:14 pm »
Personally, I didn't think this episode was as compelling as previous ones, but it was entertaining enough.

In the end it was probably an accident, but the script was deliberately written to leave the audience questioning whether Ray's son did it intentionally ("Are you going to die?" he asks the guy, maybe thinking it would be merciful to take him out of his misery), or whether the cancer victim did it to himself ("Go lay in your grandfather's bed, mine has bed bugs" might have been a feeble excuse to get rid of the kid).  But I think in the end it was just an accident and the previous conversations were ironic but not indicative of anything other than coincidence.

He obviously wasn't going to turn it over.  I was thinking Ray was either going to give Cookie a doctored version or kill him.

Assuming he still has it on him, I guess you are right.

4)  WTH is Ezra up to?

I think he is trying to convince Ray's employee to dig up the priest.

The partner was an honest cop and so, in the end, was Holloran. 

Presumably, it's still in the back of the truck in hiding somewhere.  Maybe parked behind the boxing gym?

No way.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:47:49 pm by massadvj »

Offline flowers

« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2014, 03:30:35 pm »
This brother of Rays who was caught, he has the x-wife and wants to  move out of country right?  If it is that brother, then yes he will give one or both of them up.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:31:27 pm by flowers »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2014, 08:40:17 pm »
This brother of Rays who was caught, he has the x-wife and wants to  move out of country right?  If it is that brother, then yes he will give one or both of them up.

I don't remember his every being married.  She is/was married however and I recall him begging her to leave him.

She offered him $40K to start up a new business and for the relocation, but his pride wouldn't allow him to do it.

I think it's going to be Mickey's black son who...with the insistence of his mother...Mickey's supposed one true love, that ultimately goes after Mickey.

Remember too, that Ray "promised" to kill Mickey if he ever came near his family again.  And this past event should qualify, don't you think?  LOL!

Offline flowers

« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2014, 05:31:42 pm »
I don't remember his every being married.  She is/was married however and I recall him begging her to leave him.

She offered him $40K to start up a new business and for the relocation, but his pride wouldn't allow him to do it.

I think it's going to be Mickey's black son who...with the insistence of his mother...Mickey's supposed one true love, that ultimately goes after Mickey.

Remember too, that Ray "promised" to kill Mickey if he ever came near his family again.  And this past event should qualify, don't you think?  LOL!

The woman I am talking about is the nurse. The bother has Parkinsons, and yes this past event would qualify. He has 2 brothers right? The guy who was molested by the priest and the guy who owns the gym and has parkinsons.

Offline flowers

« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2014, 03:53:33 pm »
I see the season finale is tonight. 

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2014, 11:17:25 pm »
I see the season finale is tonight.

Don't forget to set your DVR's ladies and gentlemen!

Should be a great finale tonight.   Lots of a Karma to be handed out, don't you think?  LOL!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2014, 01:57:43 am »
Thoroughly enjoyed this finale.

Honest...knew right away there was a piece in the duffel bag holding the million dollars when he went to see Cookie.   

Only thing that threw me was Mickey's horse winning.

A perfect ending for a new season, too.

"Ray"?

.....fade to black.    :beer:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2014, 02:59:57 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyed this finale.

Honest...knew right away there was a piece in the duffel bag holding the million dollars when he went to see Cookie.   

Only thing that threw me was Mickey's horse winning.

A perfect ending for a new season, too.

"Ray"?

.....fade to black.    :beer:

Yeah, Mickey winning was a different.  Most shows (except for douchebucket Roseanne) do not have a big $$ winner.  It was a very good season finale.

Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.