General Category > Science, Technology and Knowledge

Greenhouse gas milestone; CO2 levels set record

(1/2) > >>

Cincinnatus:
Worldwide levels of the chief greenhouse gas that causes global warming have hit a milestone, reaching an amount never before encountered by humans, federal scientists said Friday.

Carbon dioxide was measured at 400 parts per million at the oldest monitoring station which is in Hawaii sets the global benchmark. The last time the worldwide carbon level was probably that high was about 2 million years ago, said Pieter Tans of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration...

"What we see today is 100 percent due to human activity," said Tans, a NOAA senior scientist. The burning of fossil fuels, such as coal for electricity and oil for gasoline, has caused the overwhelming bulk of the man-made increase in carbon in the air, scientists say.

Sounds terrible doesn't it? However, you don't get to the meat of the matter until almost the end of the report:

The world pumps on average 2.4 million pounds of carbon dioxide into the air every second for a total of 38.2 billion tons in 2011, according international calculations published in a scientific journal in December. China spews 10 billion tons of carbon dioxide into the air per year, leading all countries, and its emissions are growing about 10 percent annually.

Hmmm. If my math is correct that means China alone is responsible for 25% of the CO2 entering the atmosphere, and, if my memory is correct, China is not a signator to any environmental agreement, nor is it held to any international standard.

So if this is really such a pressing matter, "The speed of the change is the big worry, said Pennsylvania State University climate scientist Michael Mann. If carbon dioxide levels go up 100 parts per million over thousands or millions of years, plants and animals can adapt. But that can't be done at the speed it is now happening.", then do something about China.

EC:
Up 70ppm since I was a sprog at school. A fair increase.

Of course, I am wondering exactly where this weather station is and the levels of volcanic activity recently.

Cincinnatus:
Good point, EC: Of course, I am wondering exactly where this weather station is and the levels of volcanic activity recently.

You know, even though you're a Brit, you do make some excellent contributions on here.

EC:

--- Quote from: Cincinnatus on May 11, 2013, 01:52:47 am ---Good point, EC: Of course, I am wondering exactly where this weather station is and the levels of volcanic activity recently.

You know, even though you're a Brit, you do make some excellent contributions on here.

--- End quote ---

:laugh: I like to talk. Also strongly believe in the importance of both open debate and Western democracy. It is the least flawed system that has been developed thus far and is worth fighting for.  :beer:

Cincinnatus:
Well said, old chap, but I felt sure the part that would draw your greater attention would be, even though you're a Brit.

You surprised me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version