Author Topic: Willie, Mickey and The Duke......Talking Baseball  (Read 2889 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Willie, Mickey and The Duke......Talking Baseball
« on: April 19, 2013, 08:51:59 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWKA9Zi5-_Y

A thread to talk about the best damned game on the planet.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Re: Willie, Mickey and The Duke......Talking Baseball
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 08:55:08 pm »
HUGE Game Tonight.....The NATS vs the METS.

Strassburg (2.95) vs. Matt Harvey (0.82)

It doesn't get any better than this!   

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/gameflash/2013/04/19/47664/index.html#preview

This pitching matchup could have taken place seven months ago. Instead, it will happen Friday night when Stephen Strasburg and the Washington Nationals put their franchise-record eight-game road winning streak in this series on the line against impressive New York Mets right-hander Matt Harvey .

Strasburg was in line to pitch Sept. 12 in the final matchup with the Mets last season, but the Nationals made the controversial move of shutting down their ace, who was in his first full season following Tommy John surgery. Washington won its eighth straight at Citi Field that night behind starter John Lannan and Ryan Zimmerman , who hit a solo homer off Harvey in a 2-0 victory. Harvey, making his first start against Washington, struck out 10 in five-plus innings.

Harvey (3-0, 0.82 ERA) gets the ball after fanning nine in eight innings of a 4-2 victory at Minnesota on Saturday. He didn't give up a hit until Justin Morneau 's solo homer with two out in the seventh.

"I'm glad they've got another good young pitcher coming along that's showing a lot of promise," Nationals manager Davey Johnson, the Mets' manager from 1984-90, told the team's official website. " ... That's interesting, and I'll look forward to it when Friday comes."

Strasburg (1-2, 2.95) gets back to work after losing his second consecutive start, 3-1 to Atlanta on Saturday. The right-hander allowed two unearned runs in six innings after walking four and yielding six runs in his previous outing, a 6-3 loss at Cincinnati on April 7.

"I wanted to go out there and try to go deep in the ballgame, but unfortunately I threw a lot of pitches early (and finished with 112), so that kind of spoiled that," Strasburg said. "But at least I was able to go out and give six."

Strasburg was dominant in two starts at Citi Field last season, both wins.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:56:13 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 09:01:01 pm »
At 1:46 and again at 2:55 a pic of Willie Mays phenomenal catch of Vic Wertz's deep fly ball in the '54 world series. Incredible.

Thanks for the memories DCPatriot. My love of baseball developed during that period.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 09:21:28 pm »
At 1:46 and again at 2:55 a pic of Willie Mays phenomenal catch of Vic Wertz's deep fly ball in the '54 world series. Incredible.

Thanks for the memories DCPatriot. My love of baseball developed during that period.

I can remember watching Willie Mays make that over-the-shoulder catch "live".....on my Grandmother's 13 inch B&W Admiral.

had to sit on the floor right in front....my Dad telling me I made a better door than a window.  LOL!

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:31:57 pm »

DCPatriot, do you recall the battle between Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale for the shut out record? At Dodger Stadium in 1968 the two pitched against one another and by mere chance I happened to be there. I had bought tickets way in advance just so I could take my father, who loved baseball, but not knowing who was pitching. Drysdale got scored on early, ending his streak, and the Cardinals won the game. But I was a witness to baseball history.

p.s. an era of 0.82 is phenomenal but the season is long. Bob Gibson ended the '68 season with an era of 1.12.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:43:51 pm »

DCPatriot, do you recall the battle between Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale for the shut out record? At Dodger Stadium in 1968 the two pitched against one another and by mere chance I happened to be there. I had bought tickets way in advance just so I could take my father, who loved baseball, but not knowing who was pitching. Drysdale got scored on early, ending his streak, and the Cardinals won the game. But I was a witness to baseball history.

p.s. an era of 0.82 is phenomenal but the season is long. Bob Gibson ended the '68 season with an era of 1.12.

I don't recall that particular game...but knew that Gibson terrified hitters.  It also screwed with their heads for the rest of the week.  LOL!

And yeah....0.82 is only 6 innings....too small a sample size. 

Speaking of Strassburg, so far I'm not at all impressed.   Either he's too strong and the sinker isn't diving...or he's got other issues going on.

As far as witnessing history....one evening I went with a friend to an O's game.

Because the parking lot had no aisles and you're at the mercy of the crowd...we left "early".

By the time we finally made it out of the parking lot, Tippy Martinez had picked off THREE runners on 1st base in the same inning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKeG0-nFCY

GRRRRRRR!!!!   

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 10:04:32 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzrg6F0krFE

Today, the ump would get sued.   LOL!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 10:07:08 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0R5orBZis8

"Put me in coach.......I'm read to play....today!

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 10:10:38 pm »
Re: that idiot who ran onto the field.

Kinda odd all those big strong baseball players just stood there and watched while an ump, not usually a spring chicken, took him down.

That looked like it was the Orioles. What year? Other team Oakland?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 10:13:43 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWFCUwHpqOY

A very touching video for anybody that has followed the Game.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 10:15:23 pm »
Re: that idiot who ran onto the field.

Kinda odd all those big strong baseball players just stood there and watched while an ump, not usually a spring chicken, took him down.

That looked like it was the Orioles. What year? Other team Oakland?

Yep...and it's not Camden Yards....it's the old War Memorial Stadium on 33rd Street, since demolished.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 10:17:14 pm »
Re: John Fogerty

Few things prettier than a well kept baseball field. Maybe some women, I suppose, but that's about it. But what caught my eye were those guys watering the infield. Back in the day the Dodgers complained the Giants were overwatering their infield so as to slow down Maury Wills.

Lol. Oh, heck no. They would never do that as is would be unsportsmanlike.

Along those lines of dubious accusations, the Houston Astros were once accused of cranking up the a/c blowers in the Astrodome when the Astros were at bat so flyballs would carry farther. Lol.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 10:21:26 pm »
A very touching video for anybody that has followed the Game.

Oh, just damn, thanks. So much of that I remember from watching or from having seen in game retrospectives.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:25:46 pm »
Saw new movie "42" the night before last. Loved the uniforms, fields, cars, buildings etc.

Plot, acting, fine as well.  B+ to A- film, imo.*

At Little League age, my Dad took the family to watch Dodger games at the Coliseum.

I remember the screen, Moon shots, the players, etc. Got started listening to baseball on the radio, which continued off and on for decades.

But I've lost interest for the most part, due to cheaters and thugs.

*There is an interesting historic political back story, tracing Robinson's movement from Rockefeller Republican to drifting away, over civil rights twists and turns (Goldwater).

(The predicament now of the GOP being mainly a regional party originated then.)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 05:23:55 am »
At Little League age, my Dad took the family to watch Dodger games at the Coliseum

You mean the Los Angeles Coliseum? I went there and saw them, too, though I wasn't Little League age. I remember they had a huge screen up in left field because the distance from home base was so short. Or maybe it was right field, but I think it was left.

I also saw my first pro football game there, the LA Rams.

I also recall my dad didn't like to go to the Coliseum in part because of the neighborhood but mostly because of the lack of secure parking.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 06:21:13 am »
At Little League age, my Dad took the family to watch Dodger games at the Coliseum

You mean the Los Angeles Coliseum? I went there and saw them, too, though I wasn't Little League age. I remember they had a huge screen up in left field because the distance from home base was so short. Or maybe it was right field, but I think it was left.

I also saw my first pro football game there, the LA Rams.

I also recall my dad didn't like to go to the Coliseum in part because of the neighborhood but mostly because of the lack of secure parking.
My last trip to the Coliseum was about 1991 for a Raiders game. I noticed a nice new stucco condo building across the street from the parking at the south side of the stadium.

Next time I saw the stucco condos the were on fire in the 1992 Riots. No reason to go there, anymore.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 12:00:57 am »
Well, Strassburg is now 0-3. 

He's the POWER pitcher he was early last year.   And don't give me anything about lack of run support.

Strassburg himself plants his holes.

The only one I'll give him is when Ryan Zimmerman made the horrific error on what should have a been a typical 5-3 bang bang play with 2 outs.

The next batter hit it out of the park.   Extra outs are costly.

As far as Gio Gonzales.....let's just say he's not the pitcher he was last year.   Enough said.  Luckily Harper hit two HRs today and the NATS won 7-6.

So....tomorrow's the rubber match.  Stay tuned.   LOL!   :patriot:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 12:39:14 am »

Gonzalez, who led the majors with 21 wins last year, is 1-1 with a 5.85 ERA after four starts.

"Just one of those moments," Gonzalez said. "Go back to the drawing board."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/gameflash/2013/04/20/47679/index.html

He misspelled 'medicine cabinet'.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 02:26:53 am »
Nationals place Ryan Zimmerman (hamstring) on 15-day DL

NEW YORK -- The Washington Nationals are putting third baseman Ryan Zimmerman on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained left hamstring and promoting prize prospect Anthony Rendon from Double-A for his big league debut.

Zimmerman did not play Friday or Saturday at New York against the Mets. He had an MRI on Saturday and manager Davey Johnson made the announcement after a 7-6 win.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130420/ryan-zimmerman-washington-nationals-disabled-list.ap/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hamstring....or maybe sore shoulder.  His throwing is atrocious.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 09:15:52 pm »
DCPatriot and other baseball fans, check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huzIzHy6ZGc

Awesome.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 10:48:17 pm »
That's amazing....yep...that's an oldie but goodie!   :beer:

I saw one where this guy was holding his two year old daughter in one arm and bare-handed a HR with the other.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 01:42:30 am »
Yeah, well, ok, I saw one where this guy was holding his two year old daughter in one arm and bare-handed a HR with the other. but I would have been more impressed if the daughter had caught it. :lotsosmileys:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 08:18:33 pm »
Reds batboy with Down Syndrome a great story, but it shouldn't end

Feel good stories are easy. Summon compassion, engage the empathy gear and drive. Nobody doesn't like his or her heart warmed.

Following through is hard. Sticking around after the camera lights dim and the truck is packed takes work. That's where the Cincinnati Reds find themselves now, with their honorary batboy, Teddy Kremer.

You might have seen Kremer on the highlights. In a game a week or so ago, he asked Reds third baseman Todd Frazier to hit a home run. Frazier did just that. Cue Kremer, greeting Frazier at home plate, so completely joyed that he neglected to pick up Frazier's bat. The triumphant pair proceeded to hug in the dugout.

If you didn't see that, maybe you caught Kremer with Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio). Kremer was Boehner's guest at President Obama's most recent State of the Union address. ESPN has taken note. It is planning an E:60 segment on the life and times of Teddy Kremer.

It has been nearly a year since the 30-year-old Kremer's parents won the silent auction bid at a school fundraiser that led to their son being the Reds batboy for a night. After Cheryl Kremer agreed to pay the necessary $300, she had a question for Reds chief operating officer Phil Castellini:

"Is it OK that Teddy has Down syndrome?''

OK? It has been better than OK for all concerned. The Reds have been gracious and protective, funneling all appearance and interview requests through the Kremers. They've used Kremer as a batboy twice. The publicity for their effort has been incessantly positive.

It has been good for Cheryl and Dave Kremer to see their son doing things no one would have believed possible a year ago, let alone when Teddy was born. In 1983, doctors and counselors still suggested there were "places'' for people "like Teddy'' to live.

It has been good for advocacy groups, who can point to the past year and say, "See?''

And of course, no one has had it better than Kremer himself. He has taken an entire city on the ride of his life. Moist eyes and light hearts, all around.

Now it's time to do better.

Kremer's story can't end here. Worse, it can't continue the same as it is now, with Kremer the 30-year-old man making cameos racking Reds bats, whenever the sentiment strikes. The mascoting of Teddy has to end, before it stops being wonderful and becomes something far less.

con't

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130423/teddy-kremer/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++