Author Topic: The Golf World Is Outraged That Tiger Woods Didn't Get Disqualified  (Read 8928 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.businessinsider.com/golf-world-outraged-about-tiger-woods-ruling-2013-4

The Golf World Is Outraged That Tiger Woods Didn't Get Disqualified
Tony Manfred   | Apr. 13, 2013, 11:15 AM

Pro golfers, golf writers, and TV commentators are up in arms that Tiger Woods was only given a 2-stroke penalty for his illegal drop on the 15th hole yesterday.

Tiger said last night that he dropped his ball two yards behind his previous spot, clearly violating the rule that you must drop "as nearly as possible" to your original spot.

He was allowed to stay in the tournament under a new rule that allows players to avoid disqualification if they are found to have unknowingly broke a rule are their rounds are over.

Golf people are not happy about it. They say that the new rule is B.S. (or it's at least being misinterpreted), and Tiger should DQ himself to save the integrity of the game.

Nick Faldo went on the Golf Channel and said Tiger disqualifying himself would be "the manly thing to do." He added, "He should really sit down and think about this and the mark this will leave on his career, his legacy, everything."

The Golf Channel's Brandel Chamblee said, "The right thing to do here for Tiger and the game is for Tiger to disqualify himself."

David Duval said on Twitter that Tiger should withdraw from the tournament.

Golfer Shane Lowry said, "This is a joke. In my opinion anyone else would have been DQ'd. When you sign for the wrong score that's what's supposed to happen."

Golf bloggers and writers are similarly stunned that he was only given a 2-stroke penalty.

This is in stark contrast to fans and golf non-diehards, who just want to watch Tiger Woods play golf this weekend and aren't all that invested in the "integrity of the game."

Here's the disparity between the two drops:

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: The Golf World Is Outraged That Tiger Woods Didn't Get Disqualified
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 08:01:55 pm »

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 08:51:48 pm »
Tiger Woods morphs from being the cherubic little boy wonder of golf, to the OJ Simpson of golf.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:33:47 pm »
He was allowed to stay in the tournament under a new rule that allows players to avoid disqualification if they are found to have unknowingly broke a rule are their rounds are over.

Well, you betcha. There's no doubt in my mind that a novice like Tiger doesn't know the rules and didn't think to ask any official on the course what the rule is.

I wonder if this style of unsportsmanlike conduct is something he picked up from playing golf with Obama. Wouldn't surprise me.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 10:25:27 pm »
Gosh, kids, could this have anything to do with the light punishment?

Tiger Woods Escaping Disqualification means CBS, IBM Escape Ratings Downfall

...recall from earlier this week my post on the economics of the professional golf industry.  That piece notes that though the Tiger Effect on ratings isn’t what it used to be, it’s still sizable.  In 2012, his participation in a final round boosted viewership by 60%, compared with 118% in 2009.

Smaller impact on ratings?  Yes.

Still significant impact on ratings?  Absolutely...

And as a by product of that ruling, and presuming Woods stays within reasonable striking distance of the lead, CBS and IBM will escape what would have been a likely ratings plummet relative to a Woods-inclusive telecast.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2013/04/13/tiger-woods-escaping-disqualification-means-cbs-ibm-escape-ratings-downfall/
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 11:14:39 pm »
Gosh, kids, could this have anything to do with the light punishment?

Tiger Woods Escaping Disqualification means CBS, IBM Escape Ratings Downfall
Absolutely. There are two types of people who watch golf on TV:  real golf fans and Tiger groupies. If Tiger doesn't compete in a particular tournament, misses the cut or - heaven forbid - gets DQed, the latter group leaves in droves. The former group, which is much smaller in number, watches golf no matter what.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 12:15:13 am »

Well, you betcha. There's no doubt in my mind that a novice like Tiger doesn't know the rules and didn't think to ask any official on the course what the rule is.

I wonder if this style of unsportsmanlike conduct is something he picked up from playing golf with Obama. Wouldn't surprise me.

I suspect he got it honestly from his father Colonel Earl Woods.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 01:21:37 am »
Absolutely. There are two types of people who watch golf on TV:  real golf fans and Tiger groupies. If Tiger doesn't compete in a particular tournament, misses the cut or - heaven forbid - gets DQed, the latter group leaves in droves. The former group, which is much smaller in number, watches golf no matter what.

Good lord.  I'd rather sit and watch paint dry. 

Offline evadR

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 01:37:36 am »
".. the Rules Committee reviewed a video of the shot while he was playing the 18th hole. At that moment and based on that evidence, the Committee determined he had complied with the Rules."

Facts ladies and gentlemen.
With this fact as a given, explain why he should have been DQ'd or why he should DQ himself?
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 02:00:41 am »
Facts ladies and gentlemen...With this fact as a given

Facts, evadR²? Do you mind if some of us remain skeptical of the Rules Committee's judgement given the amount of money involved and the FACT original reports, which produced widespread criticism, were quite otherwise? Your "facts" may actually be someone else's "cya".

Btw, you didn't provide a link so the entire story could be read and evaluated.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 02:07:24 am »
I don't think Tiger got any extra consideration.  The rules committee would likely have done the same for any player, given the circumstances.  The fact that it was Tiger made it bigger than it really was.  In the end, the fluke of hitting that flagstick on Friday probably cost Tiger a green jacket.  He'd be 7-under right now, tied for the lead, instead of 4 back and an unlikely underdog, given the pool of talent ahead of him.

Looking at that second drop, it doesn't look like it's two yards behind the original ball mark.  It seems close enough that one could reasonably conclude that Tiger dropped it at the nearest possible location, as the rules committee originally ruled.  If he did know it was an improper drop, it was monumentally stupid of him to point it out to a television interviewer. 

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 02:11:37 am »
...it was monumentally stupid of him to point it out to a television interviewer.

But he did, didn't he? So by his own admission he violated the rules and no Rules Committee can change that FACT.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 02:27:34 am »
...it was monumentally stupid of him to point it out to a television interviewer.

But he did, didn't he? So by his own admission he violated the rules and no Rules Committee can change that FACT.

He was penalized two strokes.  He's not getting off scott free.

Offline evadR

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 02:33:13 am »
Facts ladies and gentlemen...With this fact as a given

Facts, evadR²? Do you mind if some of us remain skeptical of the Rules Committee's judgement given the amount of money involved and the FACT original reports, which produced widespread criticism, were quite otherwise? Your "facts" may actually be someone else's "cya".

Btw, you didn't provide a link so the entire story could be read and evaluated.
Here ya go. This is only one but there are many more with the same statement.
http://news.yahoo.com/augusta-national-statement-tiger-woods-145815110--golf.html
The only fact I am alluding to is that the ruling was in fact made.

Offline evadR

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 02:34:41 am »
oh, and no, I don't mind if you remain skeptical. I am in fact skeptical of the original ruling myself but they did in fact make it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 02:38:42 am »
I don't think Tiger got any extra consideration.  The rules committee would likely have done the same for any player, given the circumstances.  The fact that it was Tiger made it bigger than it really was.  In the end, the fluke of hitting that flagstick on Friday probably cost Tiger a green jacket.  He'd be 7-under right now, tied for the lead, instead of 4 back and an unlikely underdog, given the pool of talent ahead of him.

Looking at that second drop, it doesn't look like it's two yards behind the original ball mark.  It seems close enough that one could reasonably conclude that Tiger dropped it at the nearest possible location, as the rules committee originally ruled.  If he did know it was an improper drop, it was monumentally stupid of him to point it out to a television interviewer.
Precisely.
Tiger is 6' tall. Stretch him out on the ground and see where that divot lies.
I would say it's about Penis High.

I can see where anyone observing the situation would conclude that was a legitimate drop.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 02:44:16 am »
Well, I guess you're right if you put it that way: I would say it's about Penis High.

Offline evadR

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 02:47:15 am »
Well, I guess you're right if you put it that way: I would say it's about Penis High.
LOL..Yeah...and the ruling was "dicked up"".

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 11:37:01 am »
Tiger Woods rules controversy showed a little common sense won't kill the game
Michael Roseberg

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Fans who visit Augusta National for the first time usually say they can't believe how hilly it is. I know what they mean. On Saturday, I walked up to a molehill, only to be told that it's really a mountain.

See, I thought that Tiger Woods took an illegal drop on the 15th hole on Friday and was properly penalized two strokes for it. Oh, how silly I was. As it turns out, he embarrassed the game, he should have disqualified himself, he doesn't understand what made America great, and hey, come back here, Tiger, we have some fresh coals to rake you over?

Good grief. I have a little breaking news for people who see themselves as Keepers of the Game: Bobby Jones has been dead for 40 years. Whenever you're ready, feel free to join us here in the 21st century. We'll be waiting for you with free wi-fi.

If we can stop bathing in our outrage for a second, we might realize: We're watching an amazing story here. Woods is three under par heading into the final round. Co-leaders Angel Cabrera and Brandt Snedeker are at seven under.

If Woods's approach into the 15th green on Friday had not hit the flagstick, he would most likely be tied for the lead, and at worst would be six under. Instead, the ball hit the pin and caromed into the water, leading to the illegal drop, and ultimately costing him three or four strokes.

And at the 8th hole on Saturday, a short birdie circled the cup before spinning out.

That is a five-stroke loss because of two tiny strokes of bad luck.

Yet in the beautifully wild tournament that is the Masters, Woods still has a chance to win the thing. That's how well he has played this week. I think that's kind of cool, but what do I know? I'm one of those idiots who likes watching LeBron James play basketball.

The real story here is not that Tiger got to stay in the tournament. It's that he was penalized. The Masters rules committee did it. All Woods did was accept the ruling. This would be considered exemplary sportsmanship in any other sport.

Why did he break the rule?

"I wasn't even really thinking," he said. "I was still a little ticked at what happened, and I was just trying to figure, O.K., I need to take some yardage off this shot. And all I was thinking about was trying to make sure I took some yardage off of it, and evidently, it was pretty obvious I didn't drop in the right spot."

And what does he think of TV analysts who say he should have disqualified himself?

"I don't know," Woods said. "Under the Rules of Golf, I can play."

This week, I have seen Pro Football Hall of Famer Marcus Allen, CBS announcer Clark Kellogg and professional skateboarder Eric Koston following Woods at Augusta National, along with lesser-known college coaches from multiple sports. And in the context of other sports, we see just how absurd this controversy is.

We accept Peyton Manning begging for pass interference or James snapping at the referees, but when Woods says he understands a penalty that might cost him the Masters, we scream that he should have disqualified himself. Man, I wish our standards for sportsmanship were as high as we claim. I wonder how many of the people saying Woods should do the honorable thing and disqualify himself have cut me off in traffic.

Actually, I think most people are reasonable about this. I followed Woods for most of the third round. I heard one fan criticize him the whole day. One. And it wasn't even about the drop.

And this brings me to the real issue: A lot of people ripping Tiger's character made up their minds before this latest incident. They don't like him, either because he cheated on his wife,or because they think he is aloof and self-absorbed. Or both. They're entitled. Nobody is obligated to like him, any more than they are obligated to like Phil Mickelson or Ernie Els. Some of my media friends don't like Tiger because of their personal experiences with him, and they are entitled as well. I'm not interested in refereeing that discussion.

But if this all happened to Rory McIlroy, I doubt we would have one-tenth of the controversy. Why? Because almost everybody likes McIlroy.

By the way: It did happen to McIlroy. In Dubai, two months ago, McIlroy committed the same kind of accidental penalty that Woods did. He wiped sand off the fringe of the green with the back of his hand. It's clearly illegal (more so than what Woods did actually). McIlroy did not call a penalty on himself until playing partner Luke Donald told him what he did was illegal.

McIlroy wasn't trying to cheat. He blanked on one of golf's many rules, and he didn't realize it until somebody called him on it.

This is the same thing that happened to Woods this week. The only difference is that nobody called Woods on his mistake until after he had signed his scorecard. Woods's representatives, Mark Steinberg and Glenn Greenspan, found out about the issue so late on Friday that they didn't even contact Tiger until Saturday morning.

Are we really going to say that Woods should disqualify himself because the whistle blew a few hours later?

Let's use our heads here. I know, I know: Golf is different. It's about honor, dignity and holding yourself accountable. Jones famously called a penalty on himself in the U.S. Open, then said, "When you cheat in golf, the only person you're cheating is yourself." That doesn't explain why Jones's club refused to invite a black golfer to play in the Masters until after his death (yeah, I went there), but I really do get it.

Golf is different. I love that about golf. We don't expect Kevin Durant to call traveling on himself or Clayton Kershaw to say, "Oh no, that was ball four. Send that gentleman to first base!" Golfers are supposed to call penalties on themselves.

That is great. But in a rational world, what Woods did was somewhere between a technicality and a misdemeanor. The strategic advantage from dropping a yard or so away from his previous shot was miniscule. A two-stroke penalty is severe. And again: I think it's appropriately severe. Tiger said he does too -- even though it might cost him the Masters.

A little common sense won't kill the game. What happened this weekend is not an affront to golf. It's called progress. A rule was instituted in April 2011 to insert some logic into post-round rules enforcement. That is the rule that Masters officials cited on Saturday.

In April 2011, Peter Dawson, the chief executive of the R&A governing body, explained the reasoning behind the rule: "For some time we have been concerned that, in certain limited circumstances, disproportionate disqualification penalties have been required by the Rules. This carefully considered decision reflects our desire to ensure that the Rules of Golf remain fair and relevant in the changing environment in which the game is played today."

I don't normally look to golf governing bodies for progressive views of the world. But there it is. Perfectly reasonable. The R&A gets it, the Masters rules committee gets it, and yes, Woods gets it. The sun will come up on Sunday, and the final round of the Masters will be played, and Tiger Woods is in contention. This should be fun.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-masters-2013-rules-controversy-absurd?eref=sihp
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 01:53:09 pm »

I just can't get excited over cow pasture pool.  :smokin:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 02:24:04 pm »
He was penalized two strokes.  He's not getting off scott free.

Having given this a lot of thought over the last 24 hours it is my conclusion that Tiger, especially Tiger, should have withdrawn regardless of the official ruling. That would have been the wise course for him to follow but I doubt such is in his DNA as the son of Colonel Earl Woods.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 05:17:43 pm »
We all have our own particular interests. Personally, I can't understand how people watch cars go around in a circle for 500 miles, but if you're a NASCAR fan, I'm certainly not going to complain.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline evadR

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 05:30:33 pm »
Tiger Woods rules controversy showed a little common sense won't kill the game
Michael Roseberg...........

Excellent article and Mr. Roseberg gets it.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 05:51:58 pm »
We all have our own particular interests. Personally, I can't understand how people watch cars go around in a circle for 500 miles, but if you're a NASCAR fan, I'm certainly not going to complain.

Me too. A Black co-worker was teasing me about that on Friday. 'When are you going to take me see NASCAR? Come on now, I know you love it.' lol

I couldn't convince her that I have never watched NASCAR, and have no desire to ever go there. We all have our stereotypes I guess. It was funny though.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 06:14:35 pm »
Good grief. I have a little breaking news for people who see themselves as Keepers of the Game: Bobby Jones has been dead for 40 years.

The writer, Michael Roseberg, lost me with his snark on Bobby Jones; plus and the shameless promotion of moral relevance to make his points. 
What's occurred in the 21st century that causes the culture to denigrate personal honor?