Author Topic: The Golf World Is Outraged That Tiger Woods Didn't Get Disqualified  (Read 8932 times)

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: The Golf World Is Outraged That Tiger Woods Didn't Get Disqualified
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2013, 01:33:09 pm »
When they finally ban the belly putter will the previous winners have an asterisk by their name.

I hope not.  Much as I hate the belly putter and hope the USGA and R&A ban it, I'd hate to see the players who won with it diminished in any way.  They are playing by the rules.  In some cases, there are younger players like Keenan Bradley who have never putted with anything else.

The belly putter and long putter (which is what Scott uses) can give the player an advantage, but these putters have disadvantages as well.  They are heavier and much more difficult to lag with, and they require the player to master a certain technique, as does all putting. 

Many players (including Vijay Singh and Fred Couples) have gone back to their regular putting technique after experimenting with long putters.

It should have been banned a long time ago.  Now that so many people have won with it, and the governing bodies (including the PGA) have drawn lines in the sand, it's going to be a bad decision either way.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2013, 01:58:08 pm »
...it was monumentally stupid of him to point it out to a television interviewer.

But he did, didn't he? So by his own admission he violated the rules and no Rules Committee can change that FACT.

Any golfers know what advantage there was to what he did?  Why drop 2 yards back?  Is that a big advantage?

I'm not a golfer so I don't know.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2013, 02:03:48 pm »
When they finally ban the belly putter will the previous winners have an asterisk by their name.

Not going to happen! Just watch and remember this moment.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2013, 02:55:12 pm »
Any golfers know what advantage there was to what he did?  Why drop 2 yards back?  Is that a big advantage?

I'm not a golfer so I don't know.

To the average golfer, it might be a psychological advantage at best.  His first shot hit the flagstick, which meant it was a few yards long.  So he took a couple of yards off figuring if he hit the next one the same way it would be just right.  Very few golfers would have the capability to dial in a half-wedge with that kind of precision, but this is TW we are talking about.  So he hit the next one near perfect.

It's common in golf that when you take a drop, you can take two club lengths, no closer to the hole.  When I saw Tiger take this drop, I assumed this was what he was doing.  I've been playing golf, including tournament golf, for over 40 years and never knew you were required to drop as close as possible to the previous ball.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2013, 03:18:16 pm »
It's common in golf that when you take a drop, you can take two club lengths, no closer to the hole.  When I saw Tiger take this drop, I assumed this was what he was doing.  I've been playing golf, including tournament golf, for over 40 years and never knew you were required to drop as close as possible to the previous ball.

OK, tankee.

I assume we'll get a new acronym in golf now called "Taking a TWD" (Tiger Woods Drop).  Hee Hee...

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:21:20 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline evadR

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2013, 06:26:48 pm »
To the average golfer, it might be a psychological advantage at best.  His first shot hit the flagstick, which meant it was a few yards long.  So he took a couple of yards off figuring if he hit the next one the same way it would be just right.  Very few golfers would have the capability to dial in a half-wedge with that kind of precision, but this is TW we are talking about.  So he hit the next one near perfect.

As close as possible is a stupid rule. If that's the case, then these golfers would be dropping about and inch or two behind the divot...and then with the downhill slope (as was the case) it would role into that same divot.

Try hitting THAT shot.

This whole thing reeks of massive stupidity.

Now it looks like the "committee" were big time dupes and committed gross errors in judgement with their second ruling.

Oh well, it's only a game...right?? 
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2013, 06:30:09 pm »
OK, tankee.

I assume we'll get a new acronym in golf now called "Taking a TWD" (Tiger Woods Drop).  Hee Hee...
TWD--Tiger Woods Dip--That term is already in use but it requires about 10 white, blond females.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2013, 06:35:36 pm »
They were chatting this up all day on 106.7 FM sports talk today....and the biggest gripe was that somebody sitting at home on his ass watching it on television text-messaged a "friend" on the Master's Rules Committee to make the complaint.

Otherwise, nobody would have noticed a thing.   Not even Woods' Saturday pair-mate.

Furthermore, what about the players whose strokes aren't even shown to the TV world?

As far as "honor"......Bobby Jones himself forbade blacks from participating in the Masters.  Something to chew on........

PS.....what about a fan watching a baseball game on TV and he notices the pitcher licking his fingers that will hold the baseball...while technically "on the mound"? 

Who're you gonna call?  Ghostbusters??
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:37:57 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline evadR

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2013, 06:39:36 pm »
They were chatting this up all day on 106.7 FM sports talk today....and the biggest gripe was that somebody sitting at home on his ass watching it on television text-messaged a "friend" on the Master's Rules Committee to make the complaint.

Otherwise, nobody would have noticed a thing.   Not even Woods' Saturday pair-mate.

Furthermore, what about the players whose strokes aren't even shown to the TV world?

Dupes, haterism and knee-jerkism.
A deadly combo.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:41:52 pm by evadR² »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2013, 06:47:45 pm »
I thought we were dropping this but apparently I am misinformed.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2013, 06:53:26 pm »

Sorry.....I thought we were dropping the confrontation.....not the basic argument.   :seeya:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline evadR

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2013, 06:58:37 pm »

Heh..it apparently has a life of it's own.
I'll drop it now :)

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2013, 11:52:08 pm »
I won't bring up his drop at the Players, which may or may not have been in the right spot after he hit his tee shot into the water, but I do have just one thing to say: moobs.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2013, 03:22:56 am »
I won't bring up his drop at the Players, which may or may not have been in the right spot after he hit his tee shot into the water, but I do have just one thing to say: moobs.

You're thinking of the US Open....or was it the Masters?  LOL!   He won the Players without any controversy....Garcia not withstanding.

And he's fishing from his multimillion dollar yacht.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:24:08 am by DCPatriot »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2013, 03:45:02 am »
You're thinking of the US Open....or was it the Masters?  LOL!   He won the Players without any controversy....Garcia not withstanding.

And he's fishing from his multimillion dollar yacht.

Actually, there was a little controversy.  He took a drop on the 14th hole after hitting it in the water.  He and Casey Wittenberg determined where they thought it crossed the hazard line, but the blimp shot showed it crossing quite a bit further back.  As it happened, he ended up taking a 6 on the hole anyway, so it probably didn't matter. 

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2013, 04:26:52 am »
Actually, there was a little controversy.  He took a drop on the 14th hole after hitting it in the water.  He and Casey Wittenberg determined where they thought it crossed the hazard line, but the blimp shot showed it crossing quite a bit further back.  As it happened, he ended up taking a 6 on the hole anyway, so it probably didn't matter.

Thanks....hadn't heard about that.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2013, 04:30:39 am »
Thanks....hadn't heard about that.

Actually there is more to the story from what I've read.  He took the shot when it was Sergio's turn.  Two course marshalls claim they told him NOT to take the shot, he claimed that was not true.  Today two other course marshall's claimed he was told it was okay to take the shot... but like massadjv said:  he did so poorly on that hole it probably doesn't matter.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2013, 04:39:08 am »
Actually there is more to the story from what I've read.  He took the shot when it was Sergio's turn.  Two course marshalls claim they told him NOT to take the shot, he claimed that was not true.  Today two other course marshall's claimed he was told it was okay to take the shot... but like massadjv said:  he did so poorly on that hole it probably doesn't matter.

No...what he did was....he put his shot into the trees and prematurely took a club from his bag....a wood...which brought a ROAR from his galley, which distracted Garcia who was over his ball ready to swing.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2013, 12:35:12 pm »
Maybe $$-NIKE-$$ got to the marshals (the ones who disputed the other marshals who said they never told Tiger Sergio already had hit his shot).

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2013, 12:56:03 pm »
Jay Busbee, Yahoo! Sports
Tiger Woods inviting a cloud of suspicion
22 hours ago

Barely a third of the way into the 2013 golf season, Tiger Woods has already found himself the focus of three different rules controversies. He's been questioned for his behavior on the course and, in effect, called a liar for his comments off it.

He was penalized two strokes for an illegal drop at the HSBC Championship in January, nearly got disqualified from the Masters after an illegal drop there and this past weekend was questioned for giving himself a favorable drop in the final round of The Players Championship.

[Related: Two marshals on the grounds at Players said Tiger Woods did not lie]

(And if that weren't enough, Sergio Garcia accused Woods of a breach of etiquette during their third-round pairing on Saturday at The Players, leading to a he-said-she-said exchange from four course marshals, two of whom essentially called Woods a liar, two who defended him.)

All of this leads to the question: Why is this happening to Woods again and again?

While it's certainly true that Tiger is the most scrutinized golfer on the planet, watched by millions every time he enters a tournament, it's impossible to ignore the pattern that's developing: that time after time, when given the opportunity, Tiger Woods chooses the interpretation of the rules that's most favorable to him. Each situation isn't a huge deal when examined individually, but within a body of work they matter, especially when considering where he's headed – straight at Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 majors.

Let's get this out of the way: There is absolutely no indication that Woods is cheating on the golf course. None. No golfer in history has been as closely monitored as he is. In an age where hi-def TV viewers can pick up when a ball rotates by a single dimple, there'd be nowhere for Woods to hide.

But there is latitude in golf, which is a game officiated by the players themselves. So it's worth an inspection when a player interprets the rules in a way that consistently benefits him.

Consider, for instance, the infamous "loose impediment" ruling from the 1999 Phoenix Open. There, Woods hit his tee shot into the desert alongside the 13th hole; the ball came to rest behind a one-ton boulder roughly the size of a dishwasher. Woods asked whether the boulder was considered a "loose impediment," meaning it could be moved without penalty. A rules official assented, and Woods asked members of the gallery to haul the boulder out of the way. They happily obliged, and Woods would go on to birdie the hole.

And we already have three separate events in 2013 where Woods' interpretation of the rules has come under scrutiny:

• At the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship in January, Woods (with the blessing of his playing partner Martin Kaymer) took a free drop after his ball was embedded in a bushel of vines. He was later assessed a two-stroke penalty for taking an illegal drop, and that was enough for him to miss the cut.

• After putting his approach shot into the water on No. 15 during the second round of the Masters, Woods took a drop behind where he hit his initial approach. That's illegal, and he was assessed a penalty the next morning. Only through some legalistic gymnastics was Augusta National able to find an interpretation of the rules that kept Woods from being disqualified.

• At The Players on Sunday, Woods hit a ball into the water in the final round on the 14th hole. Both Woods and playing partner Casey Wittenberg agreed that the ball had hooked hard into the water, even though Woods had turned away from the tee shot before the ball even hit the water. Woods took a drop well up the fairway, rather than playing back from the tee, where it appeared from some replay angles to have last crossed land.

You see where we're going here. In every instance, Woods was conceivably within the rules – or at the very least could claim to be acting within what he thought were the rules – but in each case he opted to err not on the side of caution but on whatever side benefited him. In one case, it got him sent home early; in another, he escaped that fate by the thinnest of margins.

Golf also has expectations for player conduct on the course, and yet Woods constantly pushes that boundary as well. His tendency for screaming profanities on the course keeps broadcast directors up at night. Crowding competitors on the tee, walking off the green and taking the gallery with him before his opponent has finished putting, standing in sight lines … one man's gamesmanship is another's poor sportsmanship.

This just-inside-the-lines style has become Woods' trademark, and it leads to a perception that he cares only about what benefits him best.

It's worked quite well for him so far, but as Woods resumes his march into golf history, we're entering new territory. Imagine for a moment that Tiger had won the Masters in April, giving him major win No. 15. Considering a sizeable faction (including some of his peers) believed he should have been disqualified from the tournament for the illegal drop, what then would we have made of his pursuit of Nicklaus' record? What would history have made of it?

It doesn't seem that Tiger considers public perception – his one public apology in the wake of the cheating scandal had all the warmth of a hostage video – which, of course, is his right. But while perception doesn't always match reality, it can serve as a pretty accurate indicator of what's causing the rumblings. In this case, it's Tiger Woods' interpretation of the rules of golf.

If Woods was under heavy scrutiny before 2013, it's only going to get more intense now that he is firmly back on track in his pursuit of Nicklaus. As Barry Bonds can testify, pursuit of a legend is hard enough; pursuit of a legend under a cloud of suspicion is a lonely road.

Unlike Bonds, Woods has it in his power to dispel any concerns about his approach to the game. But so far, he's shown little interest in doing so. He can certainly argue that he acted within the letter of the law. But can he credibly argue that he acted within the spirit of it?

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2013, 01:20:35 pm »

Rap, the event you are speaking of happened on Saturday.  The event I referenced happened on Sunday.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2013, 01:32:55 pm »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GLF_LONG_PUTTERS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-05-21-07-41-58

Golf adopts rule to ban anchored putting stroke

Golf's governing bodies approved a new rule Tuesday that outlaws the putting stroke used by four of the last six major champions, going against two major golf organizations that argued long putters are not hurting the game.

The Royal & Ancient Golf Club and U.S. Golf Association said Rule 14-1b would take effect in 2016.

"We recognize this has been a divisive issue, but after thorough consideration, we remain convinced that this is the right decision for golf," R&A chief executive Peter Dawson said.

The new rule does not ban the long putters, only the way they commonly are used. Golfers no longer will be able to anchor the club against their bodies to create the effect of a hinge. Masters champion Adam Scott used a long putter he pressed against his chest. British Open champion Ernie Els and U.S. Open champion Webb Simpson used a belly putter, as did Keegan Bradley in the 2011 PGA Championship.

more at link

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

well....that didn't take very long, did it?    :whistle:

Offline evadR

« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2013, 06:55:39 pm »
Lawyerin' Up....

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/blog/eye-on-golf/22295969/adam-scott-gets-lawyer-for-anchored-putter-ban

Adam Scott-----According to a report by Golf Channel, Scott will be represented in the ongoing anchored putter saga by Harry Manion, who also represents Tim Clark and Carl Pettersson. Here's what Manion said on Friday about Scott:

"I talked to him today, and he felt like it was the right time [to announce his participation in the group]."

PUTTER BAN
Full details of USGA and R&A ban
"The group" is a collection of nine golfers who are opposed to the ban.

According to GolfDigest, Manion has said he doesn't have plans to "initiate legal action" at least until the PGA Tour comes to a decision on the ruling.