Author Topic: The Golf World Is Outraged That Tiger Woods Didn't Get Disqualified  (Read 8947 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: The Golf World Is Outraged That Tiger Woods Didn't Get Disqualified
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 07:39:45 pm »
FDaY hits upon the central issue at play here: the shameless promotion of moral relevance..., or as  Roseberg so cutely puts it,
Whenever you're ready, feel free to join us here in the 21st century. We'll be waiting for you with free wi-fi.

I agree with BigUn that Woods, should have withdrawn regardless of the official ruling. What an example of decency, moral rectitude, and manhood he could have been. Alas. no, he chose instead to show the almighty dollar is the most important thing there is.

In fact this whole incident shows that and is but one more example of how our popular culture exalts self over principle.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 07:56:43 pm »
Typical...expected responses from the moral police in here.

Get over yourselves.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 08:25:35 pm »
What a sad commentary:

Get over yourselves.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 08:39:08 pm »
More moral police show up.

Oh, wait, it's Tiger's peers.

Tiger Woods came under fire from his fellow professionals and leading figures in golf last night after resisting pleas for him to withdraw from the Masters, despite signing for an incorrect second-round score...

Sir Nick Faldo was just one of those here appalled by Woods deciding to tee off his third round yesterday.

“He should really sit down and consider this - it will taint his legacy and his life,” he said. “I would be saying: ‘I have broken the rules of golf’. Sometimes the black and whiteness is harsh, but Tiger would get massive brownie points if he stood up and said: ‘Fair enough, I’ve broken the rules’ and walked.”

Explaining why he believed Woods was wrong to play on, Faldo said: “Tiger gained an advantage intentionally. He said so himself. He was judge and jury. If he goes on to win what kind of asterix would he have next to this Masters? Arnold Palmer said that in our game the integrity of golf must be taken forward. We are custodians of the game. We must carry it forward.”

David Duval concurred. The former world No 1 is a Nike stable-mate of Woods, but was in doubt what would be the principled course of action. “I think he should WD. He took a drop to gain an advantage,” he tweeted.

Even some of Woods’s best friends were of that opinion. John Cook is a regular practice partner of Woods. “Even if they told me I could play, I would slam my trunk and be on my way up the road,” he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/mastersaugusta/9992387/The-Masters-2013-under-fire-Tiger-Woods-facing-player-backlash-for-not-withdrawing-after-wrongly-signing-his-scorecard.html

Offline evadR

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 09:20:23 pm »
Well, one certainly has to respect Sir Nick's opinion but..you don't have to agree with him.
He has modified his view as more "facts" were gathered.
Today he stated that what was once black and white is now shades of grey.

I guess if we wait long enough we will be agreeing with him.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2013, 11:08:25 pm »

More moral police show up.

Oh, wait, it's Tiger's peers.

Tiger Woods came under fire from his fellow professionals and leading figures in golf last night after resisting pleas for him to withdraw from the Masters, despite signing for an incorrect second-round score...

Sir Nick Faldo was just one of those here appalled by Woods deciding to tee off his third round yesterday.

Nick Faldo....one of the biggest A-holes in the game today.

.....according to HIS peers.

You have to give me a better 'peer' than Nick Faldo, Cincy! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2013, 11:35:44 pm »

I do? Why? Isn't the real issue whether Faldo is correct regardless of what you may think of him? Or fail to acknowledge?

David Duval concurred...John Cook is a regular practice partner of Woods.

Forgive me but I am not going to pursue this any further. Just include me with those who refuse to join the 21st century even if you give me free WiFi. Unfortunately I am one of those reactionary troglodytes who thinks a man's word means something and keeping one's honor is a virtue.

So let Tiger play on. After all ratings, money, and fan devotion are of all that really matter. Accountability and decency? Not so much.

Offline Carling

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2013, 11:45:25 pm »
Tiger shouldn't have even been penalized.  3" was the difference between his first and second shot, according to this photo from the exact same location.  Maybe he thought he dropped 2 yards back, but he didn't.  Should he withdraw for thinking he dropped it further back than he actually did drop it?   :pondering:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/golf--photos-show-tiger-woods-may-not-have-deserved-a-two-stroke-penalty-204353354.html

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:46:52 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2013, 11:50:19 pm »

I do? Why? Isn't the real issue whether Faldo is correct regardless of what you may think of him? Or fail to acknowledge?

David Duval concurred...John Cook is a regular practice partner of Woods.

Forgive me but I am not going to pursue this any further. Just include me with those who refuse to join the 21st century even if you give me free WiFi. Unfortunately I am one of those reactionary troglodytes who thinks a man's word means something and keeping one's honor is a virtue.

So let Tiger play on. After all ratings, money, and fan devotion are of all that really matter. Accountability and decency? Not so much.

I respect the heck out of you, Cincy....but let's face it.  You don't like Tiger Woods because of his unfaithfulness to his wife and family. 

It has nothing to do with him dropping the ball almost in the exact spot  (see link)   http://tracking.si.com/2013/04/14/tiger-woods-drop/?eref=sihp

The rules committee found that there was no evil intent and he took a 2 stroke penalty.

Incidentally, had he not hit the pin, he would have birdied the hole.  He would have been right there at the end.

That siad, I'm glad that Adam Scott won it on the 2nd playoff hole.   It was a great finish.

And he may be bringing the next controversy for the game of golf.   There is talk that the long putter should be illegal.

...stay tuned. 

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 12:02:35 am »
The Tiger hatred is a bit frightening.   That said, yes, the belly putter is controversial at this time.

I was rooting for Cabrera.  A no nonsense golfer who didn't over analyze every blade of grass.

Offline Carling

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 12:05:37 am »
The Tiger hatred is a bit frightening.   That said, yes, the belly putter is controversial at this time.

I was rooting for Cabrera.  A no nonsense golfer who didn't over analyze every blade of grass.

Belly putter aside, Adam Scott also has a very quick pace of play.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 12:06:05 am »
Congratulations, Adam Scott!  Nicely Played!

Offline Carling

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 12:10:46 am »

It was really fun to watch, and this is a tiny bit of redemption for Greg Norman, who I'm sure is happy as can be. 

Scott and Cabrera were both playing great golf today, and especially the last 3 holes, playoff included.  Just great, great golfing, and truly championship-worthy.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 12:32:23 am »
I noticed that Adam Scott's caddy is the former caddy for Tiger Woods....when he was winning everything in sight.

Don't think that's merely a coincidence.......

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 12:51:30 am »

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 12:52:31 am »

Get over yourselves.

So you have no use for this thing called HONOR?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 12:59:39 am »
Ok, I wasn't going to say anything more but this unpleasant little canard demands response.

You don't like Tiger Woods because of his unfaithfulness to his wife and family.

What an absolute crock. Just how do you know that about me in any case? You don't and I am offended you would presume to say it.

This is what bothers me about the situation and nothing else.

Unfortunately I am one of those reactionary troglodytes who thinks a man's word means something and keeping one's honor is a virtue.

I don't care about Tiger. I don't care about golf. I do care about how standards of personal conduct have declined in this country and how so many excuse or temporize an absence of standards when it is staring them in the face.

Finis...I deeply hope.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 01:18:02 am »
Ok, I wasn't going to say anything more but this unpleasant little canard demands response.

You don't like Tiger Woods because of his unfaithfulness to his wife and family.

What an absolute crock. Just how do you know that about me in any case? You don't and I am offended you would presume to say it.

Unfortunately I am one of those reactionary troglodytes who thinks a man's word means something and keeping one's honor is a virtue.

I don't care about Tiger. I don't care about golf. I do care about how standards of personal conduct have declined in this country and how so many excuse or temporize an absence of standards when it is staring them in the face.

Finis...I deeply hope.

I love golf and care about it a great deal. If Tiger had withdrawn he would have been the king of golf again and for a LONG time. IMHO he missed a great opportunity for himself and for the game of golf!

This one's for you!

"We mock honor, and are then shocked to find traitors in our midst."

C.S. Lewis
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:49:02 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline evadR

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 01:37:25 am »

:beer:
A super talented young man that finally won the "bigun"

Offline evadR

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 01:40:46 am »
I noticed that Adam Scott's caddy is the former caddy for Tiger Woods....when he was winning everything in sight.

Don't think that's merely a coincidence.......
Stevie is one of the premier caddies. A bit full of himself but excellent at his trade...and also a scratch golfer.

Offline evadR

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 01:48:15 am »

Finis...I deeply hope.

Not that it matters but let me be the first one to say I don't like Tiger because of his unfaithfulness to his wife and family.
But that's a whole different story. I still feel I can objectively look at the facts, regardless of certain Tiger "peers" opinions.

Now, the most recent revelation is that the drop probably wasn't illegal at all, in spite of what Tiger said and what he thought he did. Maybe that's why the people on the course felt it was legal. Maybe that's why the FIRST committee ruling was there was no foul....maybe this, maybe that.

I think it's time to move on.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2013, 01:59:33 am »
I think it's time to move on.

I agree!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline evadR

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2013, 12:33:11 pm »
Masters winner uses Stevie Williams eyes to drain winning putt.

Williams read that putt for Scott on the 2nd playoff hole.

Said Williams, who during his career was on the bag for three of Woods' four Masters wins: “We knew it was a right-to-left putt. He said he thought it was a cup outside, but I told him it broke more than he thought and it was two cups outside the hole.”

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2013, 12:53:45 pm »
Adam Scott played amazing golf tee-to-green.  It seemed he had decent birdie putts all day, but they kept skirting the edges, and he'd tap in for par and move on.  He was pretty much under the radar until the back nine.  Again, he plodded along hitting fairways and greens, but of course at Augusta that gets you birdies at 13 and 15.  Then he hit 18 and found the green.  He drained it when it counted, and repeated it on the second playoff hole.

Cabrera was a hell of a tough competitor.  The guy can't make the cut on the regular tour but put him in contention in a major, and he shows up to play.  I really couldn't decide who to root for.  In the end, I was glad someone won it rather than lost it.  And I am glad that Scott will have his invitation to Augusta for the rest of his life.  He seems like a deserving young man.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2013, 01:15:25 pm »
When they finally ban the belly putter will the previous winners have an asterisk by their name.