Author Topic: 2013 Masters at Augusta...Tianlang Guan, 14, turns in an amazing 73!!  (Read 1445 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
2013 Masters at Augusta...Tianlang Guan, 14, turns in an amazing 73!!

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Tianlang Guan admitted he probably won't win this year's Masters, which is probably just as well, since his teenage friends are probably not impressed by boys in green sport coats. But he did shoot a 73 in his opening round at the Masters, at age 14. It's an amazing story. To put this in context: Tiger Woods, the greatest phenom in the history of the sport, did not play the Masters until he was 19. In his first six rounds, over two years, he shot 72, 72, 77, 72, 75, 75.

So a 73 at Augusta National at age 14 is astounding. Guan beat Ian Poulter and Hunter Mahan by three strokes and Bubba Watson, the defending champion, by two. It's an amazing story. I keep saying that so I don't throw up.

Fourteen years old, playing in the Masters.

Is this healthy?

Does he realize that what seems to be the best thing in his life may ultimately destroy him?

In his press conference afterward, Guan was polite, confident and unfazed. Somebody asked him if he has fun playing golf.

"I'm having fun so far this week," he said, and it seemed clear that he did not really understand the depth and importance of the question.

He could not understand. He is 14 years old, and he probably has no idea how his life can get away from him.

He probably doesn't realize that the government in his native China may start viewing him as a political tool, like the machine-produced basketball players and gymnasts, capable of boosting national pride by whipping the rest of the world. And he probably doesn't realize that to some in the U.S., he is an oil well. He can make golf popular in China. That would make golf equipment popular in China. And that could mean billions.

And I'm sure he doesn't realize that his golf career might be peaking this week. I hope that's not the case. But Tianlang Guan may find that the question he was asked Thursday-"Is it fun for you?"-is not so easy to answer.

more at:    http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/masters-2013-big-day-phenoms-augusta-national?eref=sihp

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

Re: 2013 Masters at Augusta...Tianlang Guan, 14, turns in an amazing 73!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:36:02 pm »
He probably doesn't realize that the government in his native China may start viewing him as a political tool, like the machine-produced basketball players and gymnasts, capable of boosting national pride by whipping the rest of the world. And he probably doesn't realize that to some in the U.S., he is an oil well. He can make golf popular in China. That would make golf equipment popular in China. And that could mean billions.
What a round of golf he played, and I was equally impressed by the classy way Ben Crenshaw  took him under his wing. The political and economic consequences of Guan's accomplishments didn't occur to me.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:38:35 pm »
What a round of golf he played, and I was equally impressed by the classy way Ben Crenshaw  took him under his wing. The political and economic consequences of Guan's accomplishments didn't occur to me.  :shrug:

I find golf to be a refuge. It is pure individual performance. You can root for multiple players, because one player's performance doesn't have to have an effect on another player's performance. It's a beautiful game to watch, (and, at times, sleep to).

I kind of hope Sergio Garcia wins, he's paid his dues, in a lot of respects. But, I wouldn't be upset to see anyone else win either. Lots of good stories, Tiger, Ian Poulter, Bubba, Mickelson, Bradley, Westwood... and more. I find that I'm not nationalistic when it comes to golf. They're all just golfers to me. All I wish for is a bunched up leaderboard on Sunday.

I wish this kid well. He's in a world that few will ever see. He's noticed by many, and the expectations will be enormous. It's a heck of a story.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 04:37:41 pm »
I agree, Relic, and I feel the same way about the LPGA, of which I am a big fan. I simply enjoy watching good golf, whether played by a Korean, Brit or American.

A Garcia victory would be a tremendous story, but I'm just as happy to see Donald, Poulter, Scott, Fowler, Cink, Mickelson, et al. win.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 07:21:09 pm »
Young Mr. Guan has been penalized a stroke for slow play. His making the cut is in question. Ah well, live and learn.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 04:07:11 pm »
Tiger assessed a two-stroke penalty this morning for an improper drop after he hit one into the water on #15 yesterday. Brandel Chamblee and Nick Faldo say the committee should have DQed him for the infraction, and if Tiger had any class he'd DQ himself today.  Class? Ask Elin how much class he has.   :laugh:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 04:55:40 pm »
Tiger assessed a two-stroke penalty this morning for an improper drop after he hit one into the water on #15 yesterday. Brandel Chamblee and Nick Faldo say the committee should have DQed him for the infraction, and if Tiger had any class he'd DQ himself today.  Class? Ask Elin how much class he has.   :laugh:

I'm glad he didn't DQ himself.  And Faldo should go screw himself.

And I hope Tiger wins the Masters this year.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 05:08:32 pm »

Thanks to controversial penalty, Masters win would be one of Tiger's greatest triumphs
Michael Roseberg

AUGUSTA, Ga.
-- Well, there you have it. The most golf-y moment in the history of golf.

Tiger Woods just got hit with a two-stroke penalty for an illegal drop on the 15th hole at the Masters Friday. I think we can agree that it is a little nutty, but golf rules can be nutty. You have to follow them anyway. That's why golfers all wear collars on 100-degree days.

I'm not convinced Tiger's drop was illegal. And I'm not convinced it was legal, either. This is one of those rules that is open to interpretation. I need an interpretation of the interpretation. I also need some more coffee, but one thing at a time.

I think, ultimately, the Masters made the right decision. I'll get to that in a minute. First, let's pause, think about all those linemen who punched other linemen in the testicles when they were under a pile with no repercussions whatsoever, and then review what passes for a serious rules violation in golf.

On Friday afternoon, I crouched next to a rope and watched Woods hit the most disastrous great shot of his life. He had missed the fairway with his drive on the par-5 15th, then told caddie Joe LaCava he wanted to lay up to give himself a 70-yard shot to the hole.

He punched out to 70 yards, or pretty close to it. Then he hit a perfect shot. Too perfect. It hit the pin and went in the water.

Woods thought about dropping in the drop area, but decided instead to drop in the same spot as his original shot. Sort of. He said later, "I went back to where I played it from, but I went two yards further back and I took, tried to take two yards off the shot of what I felt I hit."

What he should have said was "I'm going to say something innocuous that totally screws me over when people hear it." Nobody, and I mean nobody, thought Tiger broke a rule when he dropped the ball. Masters officials reviewed the drop before his round was complete and decided it was legal.

But when Woods explained his intent afterward, alert golf fans screamed that he couldn't drop it two yards back. He had to drop "as near as possible" to the original spot.

So the Masters Rules Committee reviewed the drop. And decided he really deserved a two-stroke penalty. This would normally mean Tiger signed an incorrect scorecard, which would mean disqualification, which would mean remarkable levels of profanity. But since Tiger he had been cleared before he finished his round, the Masters waived the whole signing-an-incorrect-scorecard thing.

Now, on to the most important thing here, which is of course, my opinion.

(Uh …)

First, it would be ridiculous to disqualify him. You can't tell a guy he shot 71, have him sign for it, then say no, it was a 73, get on your private plane. That would be idiotic.

And second: Where was Tiger supposed to drop? He couldn't drop in the exact same spot, because his divot was there. Everybody understands you don't have to drop in your divot. But where do you drop? Six inches away? A foot? A yard? Would that be a meter if this were the Canadian Open?

Woods said he dropped two yards back, but on video, it looks more like two feet. To me, that is perfectly fine. But I've been known to concede an eight-foot put if I see a beverage cart on the next hole.

Woods did not cheat, but that is not really the point. Cheating is about intent, and intent is irrelevant. Fourteen-year-old Tianlang Guan didn't cheat Friday when he was assessed a stroke penalty for slow play either. But I thought Guan's penalty was justified, even though it was cruel. Guan broke the rule. He was warned that if he went beyond the 40-second limit, he would be penalized, and he went beyond it. It's a stupid rule, and largely an ineffective one. But Guan did break it.

I'm 100 percent sure that Tiger thought he was following the rule. Otherwise, why would he explain his reasoning publicly afterward? If he thought he had done anything wrong and wanted to cover it up, he would not have brought up where he dropped the ball.

And yet: just as with Guan, the rules are the rules. The Rules Committee's interpretation is all that matters. So a two-stroke penalty makes sense to me. And now Tiger, who would probably five-under par if that first approach had not hit the pin, is one-under. Leader Jason Day is six-under.

If Tiger wins, some will say the win deserves an asterisk, because he should have been DQ'ed. I take the opposite view. It would be one of his most epic triumphs. Tiger Woods is trying to win the Masters after a perfect shot cost him four strokes.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-has-chance-win-2013-greatest-victory-career?eref=sihp

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++