Author Topic: 2013 Masters at Augusta...Tianlang Guan, 14, turns in an amazing 73!!  (Read 820 times)

Offline DCPatriot

2013 Masters at Augusta...Tianlang Guan, 14, turns in an amazing 73!!

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Tianlang Guan admitted he probably won't win this year's Masters, which is probably just as well, since his teenage friends are probably not impressed by boys in green sport coats. But he did shoot a 73 in his opening round at the Masters, at age 14. It's an amazing story. To put this in context: Tiger Woods, the greatest phenom in the history of the sport, did not play the Masters until he was 19. In his first six rounds, over two years, he shot 72, 72, 77, 72, 75, 75.

So a 73 at Augusta National at age 14 is astounding. Guan beat Ian Poulter and Hunter Mahan by three strokes and Bubba Watson, the defending champion, by two. It's an amazing story. I keep saying that so I don't throw up.

Fourteen years old, playing in the Masters.

Is this healthy?

Does he realize that what seems to be the best thing in his life may ultimately destroy him?

In his press conference afterward, Guan was polite, confident and unfazed. Somebody asked him if he has fun playing golf.

"I'm having fun so far this week," he said, and it seemed clear that he did not really understand the depth and importance of the question.

He could not understand. He is 14 years old, and he probably has no idea how his life can get away from him.

He probably doesn't realize that the government in his native China may start viewing him as a political tool, like the machine-produced basketball players and gymnasts, capable of boosting national pride by whipping the rest of the world. And he probably doesn't realize that to some in the U.S., he is an oil well. He can make golf popular in China. That would make golf equipment popular in China. And that could mean billions.

And I'm sure he doesn't realize that his golf career might be peaking this week. I hope that's not the case. But Tianlang Guan may find that the question he was asked Thursday-"Is it fun for you?"-is not so easy to answer.

more at:    http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/masters-2013-big-day-phenoms-augusta-national?eref=sihp

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline mountaineer

Re: 2013 Masters at Augusta...Tianlang Guan, 14, turns in an amazing 73!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 09:36:02 AM »
He probably doesn't realize that the government in his native China may start viewing him as a political tool, like the machine-produced basketball players and gymnasts, capable of boosting national pride by whipping the rest of the world. And he probably doesn't realize that to some in the U.S., he is an oil well. He can make golf popular in China. That would make golf equipment popular in China. And that could mean billions.
What a round of golf he played, and I was equally impressed by the classy way Ben Crenshaw  took him under his wing. The political and economic consequences of Guan's accomplishments didn't occur to me.  :shrug:
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:38:35 AM »
What a round of golf he played, and I was equally impressed by the classy way Ben Crenshaw  took him under his wing. The political and economic consequences of Guan's accomplishments didn't occur to me.  :shrug:

I find golf to be a refuge. It is pure individual performance. You can root for multiple players, because one player's performance doesn't have to have an effect on another player's performance. It's a beautiful game to watch, (and, at times, sleep to).

I kind of hope Sergio Garcia wins, he's paid his dues, in a lot of respects. But, I wouldn't be upset to see anyone else win either. Lots of good stories, Tiger, Ian Poulter, Bubba, Mickelson, Bradley, Westwood... and more. I find that I'm not nationalistic when it comes to golf. They're all just golfers to me. All I wish for is a bunched up leaderboard on Sunday.

I wish this kid well. He's in a world that few will ever see. He's noticed by many, and the expectations will be enormous. It's a heck of a story.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:37:41 PM »
I agree, Relic, and I feel the same way about the LPGA, of which I am a big fan. I simply enjoy watching good golf, whether played by a Korean, Brit or American.

A Garcia victory would be a tremendous story, but I'm just as happy to see Donald, Poulter, Scott, Fowler, Cink, Mickelson, et al. win.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:21:09 PM »
Young Mr. Guan has been penalized a stroke for slow play. His making the cut is in question. Ah well, live and learn.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »
Tiger assessed a two-stroke penalty this morning for an improper drop after he hit one into the water on #15 yesterday. Brandel Chamblee and Nick Faldo say the committee should have DQed him for the infraction, and if Tiger had any class he'd DQ himself today.  Class? Ask Elin how much class he has.   :laugh:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
Tiger assessed a two-stroke penalty this morning for an improper drop after he hit one into the water on #15 yesterday. Brandel Chamblee and Nick Faldo say the committee should have DQed him for the infraction, and if Tiger had any class he'd DQ himself today.  Class? Ask Elin how much class he has.   :laugh:

I'm glad he didn't DQ himself.  And Faldo should go screw himself.

And I hope Tiger wins the Masters this year.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 01:08:32 PM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf