Author Topic: Job Growth Slows to a Trickle ...WSJ  (Read 1766 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Job Growth Slows to a Trickle ...WSJ
« on: April 06, 2013, 02:46:03 pm »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324600704578404271558802706.html#printMode

Updated April 5, 2013, 7:11 p.m. ET

Job Growth Slows to a Trickle
Unemployment Rate Falls One-Tenth of a Percentage Point to 7.6%
By BRENDA CRONIN

Employers added fewer jobs in March than in any month in almost a year, a dark cloud after several months of slowly improving conditions in labor markets.

Just 88,000 jobs were created last month, far below February's 268,000 gain. The unemployment rate, derived from a separate survey, dropped to a four-year low of 7.6%. But the decline was prompted by nearly a half-million workers leaving the job market, not job growth.

Friday's report from the Labor Department pushed investors out of stocks and into safer alternatives. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 172 points minutes after the report was released, but erased most of its losses to finish down 40.86 points, or 0.28%, to 14565.25. Demand for the perceived safety of U.S. Treasury bonds was strong, however, pushing the yield on the benchmark 10-year note down to 1.698%, its lowest this year.

The report is likely to mute talk—which had grown louder recently—that the Federal Reserve might move to curtail the pace of its bond buying, which is aimed at lowering long-term interest rates in an effort to spur spending, investment and hiring.

Fed officials have said they would buy long-term Treasury and mortgage bonds until the job-market outlook has improved substantially. One Fed official this week raised the possibility of a job market strong enough by summer for the central bank to begin pulling back from the program. But the March picture could raise doubts inside the Fed about how quickly the job market is healing and deflate that possibility.

The March reading stirred some fears of yet another "springtime swoon" for the labor market. In recent years, hiring has started the year strong, only to wilt as the weather warmed.

Friday's report underscored this point, as the government revised up its estimates for January and February by a combined 61,000 jobs. Even with those revisions, however, job growth started 2013 weaker than in the same period a year ago, suggesting the pace of hiring was trending down before March.

The jobs numbers reflect "a very sharp slowdown," said Paul Ashworth, chief U.S. economist at Capital Economics in Toronto. But, he added, the weak growth may be a more accurate reflection of the fragile recovery than the "surprisingly good" employment numbers notched in January and February.

continued at link
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline evadR

Re: Job Growth Slows to a Trickle ...WSJ
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 05:17:05 pm »
I maintain there is zero growth in REAL jobs.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:04:02 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Relic

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:31:19 am »

And I'd bet consumer confidence is still high.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:35:34 am »

If not negative growth! The only place there is any growth is in government or government support.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline evadR

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 01:15:32 am »
If not negative growth! The only place there is any growth is in government or government support.
Yes, and that's just a further drain on the private sector.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.