Author Topic: ROGER EBERT DEAD  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

ROGER EBERT DEAD
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:44:18 pm »
Headline on Drudge. No details but Ebert has been suffering from cancer and recently had a recurrence.

I wish no ill on the dead but must admit I will not miss him and his Liberal rantings.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Re: ROGER EBERT DEAD
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:16:52 pm »
Uh, bye.  Rest in peace.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:25:06 pm »
I thought he was a very fine writer of movie reviews, and I found his reviews insightful and provocative; so much so that I own his book and consult with it regularly if there is a vintage movie I am thinking about watching.  His politics, not so much.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:41:21 pm »

"Well.......bye!"
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:46:38 pm »
The pic on Drudge freaks me out...I wish he would take it down..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:58:06 pm »
I found his reviews insightful and provocative...

Beg to differ with you, massadvj. Ebert lost any credibility as a film critic with me years ago when he spoke in praise of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover and Last Exit to Brooklyn, both of which were vile and disgusting films. Never paid any attention to him after that.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline quidnunc

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 11:55:02 pm »
My default position was that if Roger Ebert gave a movie a thumbs up I made a point NOT to see it unless there was corroboration from a more trustworthy source.

And of course it goes without saying that his political opinions were bat-guano crazy.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 02:57:31 am »
Once again, I'm fairly confident I really haven't missed anything by not going to the movies in the past decade or two.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

famousdayandyear

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 03:20:55 am »
Once again, I'm fairly confident I really haven't missed anything by not going to the movies in the past decade or two.

In hearty agreement.  The last movie I was willing to pay to see was about Johnny Cash.  Nothing that involves the LA culture has any interest for me.