Author Topic: U.S. sees highest poverty spike since the 1960s, leaving 50 million Americans poor as government cuts billions in spending... so does that mean there's no way out?  (Read 1571 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
U.S. sees highest poverty spike since the 1960s, leaving 50 million Americans poor as government cuts billions in spending... so does that mean there's no way out?

By Ap

PUBLISHED: 14:03 EST, 2 April 2013 | UPDATED: 14:05 EST, 2 April 2013

The number of Americans living in poverty has spiked to levels not seen since the mid 1960s, classing 20 per cent of the country’s children as poor.

It comes at a time when government spending cuts of $85 billion have kicked in after feuding Democrats and Republicans failed to agree on a better plan for addressing the national deficit.

The cuts will directly affect 50 million Americans living below the poverty income line and reduce their chances of finding work and a better life.

Before spending cuts kicked in on March 1st, 49-year-old Antonio Hammond became a success story for Catholic Charities of Baltimore - one of a multitude of organizations trying to haul people out of poverty.

In this Maryland port city, one of four residents is considered poor by U.S. government standards.

continued
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2302997/U-S-sees-highest-poverty-spike-1960s-leaving-50-million-Americans-poor-government-cuts-billions-spending.html

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

There was a report Monday on FOX that in PA alone a single mom on welfare can get up to 82k a year in extras between the feds and the state and it is these massive freebies that are worth so much more than these women can earn that keeps them on welfare.  A great spokesman for this is the comedian, Adam Corolla -  BOR has him on his show all the time, his mother was on welfare... and he hates everything about our welfare system.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:08:22 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
It's funny how the more the government spends to help poor people, the more of them there are.

Offline Rapunzel

It's funny how the more the government spends to help poor people, the more of them there are.

I swear when I heard the list of their freebies rattled off to Scott Brown (filling in for BOR Monday night) my jaw dropped... hell why wouldn't all of us want to be on welfare with the list of freebies they receive?  One reason -- most of us still have pride in our own abilities and accomplishments and would be ashamed to do what those people think they deserve.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I swear when I heard the list of their freebies rattled off to Scott Brown (filling in for BOR Monday night) my jaw dropped... hell why wouldn't all of us want to be on welfare with the list of freebies they receive?  One reason -- most of us still have pride in our own abilities and accomplishments and would be ashamed to do what those people think they deserve.

Yes, and when OPapaDoc says the rich "don't pay their fair share" the 47 million people on food stamps say "damn right!"  It's pathetic that this is what we have come to in the USA.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Sadly, that shame is something that the Obama administration and his media-education complex are trying desperately to break down.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
From the land of opportunity to the empire of opportunism...

In the winter in the Summer
Don't we have fun
Times are bum and getting bummer
Still we have fun
There's nothing surer...
The rich get richer and the poor get poorer
In the meantime, in between time
Ain't we got fun?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:46:24 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Cincinnatus

The number of Americans living in poverty has spiked to levels not seen since the mid 1960s, classing 20 per cent of the country’s children as poor.

How is this possible? I thought LBJ's War on Poverty resolved this problem for ever and ever.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams