Author Topic: F 35B Landing On USS Wasp  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

F 35B Landing On USS Wasp
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:48:34 am »
A thing of beauty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Ki86x1WKPmE&feature=colike

This video is fresh (for the public). It was made just six weeks ago in the Atlantic,
just off Newport News ( Hampton Roads), Virginia.

These are the latest sea trials of the F-35B on the USS Wasp.

No catapult... No hook.... Its a new world out there!
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: F 35B Landing On USS Wasp
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 04:06:19 am »

Very cool!

Am surprised that it can take off with that cap rising to create so much drag.    Do you know what I mean?

That thingamajig  that looks like the cockpit canopy....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

famousdayandyear

Re: F 35B Landing On USS Wasp
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:15:18 pm »
Very cool!

Am surprised that it can take off with that cap rising to create so much drag.    Do you know what I mean?

That thingamajig  that looks like the cockpit canopy....

From the little I know about the aerodynamics of short take off for the F35, it looks like the canopy-like "scoop" aids what is called "thrust vectoring" -- a way to deliver sort of "supercharged" air to the engine as it reaches intended power for lift from the deck.  The way a hood scoop delivers air to an internal combustion engine that has been supercharged to gobble up every bit of air and fuel  for maximum performance.  This video may show it better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=lu7ZUVXs6Ec