Author Topic: CBS halts replays of basketball player's injury  (Read 948 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
CBS halts replays of basketball player's injury
« on: April 01, 2013, 02:23:29 am »
http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/DA5CEEPO0

CBS halts replays of basketball player's injury
AP 4/1/2013 1:48:27 AM
(AP) CBS halts replays of basketball player's injury
By DAVID BAUDER
AP Television Writer
NEW YORK

After two initial replays, CBS stopped showing footage Sunday of Louisville basketball player Kevin Ware breaking his leg during the first half of his team's NCAA men's tournament game against Duke.

The injury during the nationally televised game, and the shocked reaction of Ware's fellow players, called to mind the gruesome broken leg suffered by Washington Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann in a Monday Night football game in 1985. During Sunday's game, Theismann tweeted his best wishes to Ware.

Ware had leaped to try and block a shot by Duke's Tyler Thornton. His leg landed awkwardly, buckled and flopped as he fell to the ground. The first hint that the injury was out of the ordinary came from Thornton, who put his hands to his face and had an anguished look as he ran back on defense.

CBS commentator Clark Kellogg described the injury was "gruesome."

"If you can bear to watch it, take a look but it's a gruesome-looking injury," Kellogg said.

CBS showed the replay twice in slow motion, although not with a close-up of Ware landing. The network also never showed a close-up of the injury.

CBS then concentrated on reaction shots. Three of Ware's teammates were on the ground near the basket. Wayne Blackshear cried, Chane Behanan knelt on his hands and knees and Peyton Silva sat, a hand covering his mouth.

The network aired a close-up of medical officials working on Ware, showing the player only from the face up.

CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus said that because of the graphic nature of the injury, the network decided not to show it after the original replays. People could quickly find replays on YouTube, anyway.

"We did not zoom in on the injury when he was taken off," McManus said. "We did not try to highlight it. I think we did the right thing."

At halftime, Greg Gumbel noted that CBS would not show the injury. Its highlight package again focused on the reactions, including Louisville coach Rick Pitino wiping away tears. Pitino answered questions from CBS during the game about Ware, noting the injured player was exhorting his teammates to win the regional final. A Louisville spokesman said Ware was "resting comfortably" at Indianapolis' Methodist Hospital.

As is often the case, the coverage quickly became a hot topic on Twitter. Sports writer Jason Whitlock tweeted that "CBS handled this curveball (Ware injury) masterfully."

The network's decision to stop showing the replay only goes so far. Right after the game ended, the CBS affiliate in Phoenix aired the footage of Ware being injured in a local sports report.

Coverage of the injury represented the second difficult call of the day for CBS. Earlier, the network cut away from the dramatic conclusion of the Sony Open men's final, switching to the tipoff of the NCAA tournament game between Michigan and Florida. The network did alert viewers that if the third set between Andy Murray and David Ferrer went to a tiebreaker, it would switch coverage of the Tennis Channel.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: CBS halts replays of basketball player's injury
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 02:29:32 am »
It's all over Youtube, so no matter what CBS does, it will never go away.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 06:48:47 pm »
I still cringe when I see old film of Joe Theismann's injury. I think I'll pass this time and try avoid the Youtubes
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:04:08 pm »
I saw one replay and that was enough. I'm glad most media outlets didn't show it again.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:50:33 pm »
Glad to hear it.   There are some sites on the web where a person can view the fall but at least CBS is not exploiting this tragic injury.