Author Topic: Kevin Ware Leg Injury: Louisville Guard Suffers Gruesome Broken Bone in Right Leg (VIDEO)  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/31/kevin-ware-leg-injury-louisvile_n_2989690.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Kevin Ware Leg Injury: Louisville Guard Suffers Gruesome Broken Bone in Right Leg (VIDEO)

AP/The Huffington Post  |  Posted: 03/31/2013 6:05 pm EDT  |  Updated: 03/31/2013 6:17 pm

Kevin Ware #5 of the Louisville Cardinals is taken off the court on a backboard after he injured his leg in the first half against the Duke Blue Devils during the Midwest Regional Final round of the 2013 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament at Lucas Oil Stadium on March 31, 2013 in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Louisville guard Kevin Ware suffered a gruesome lower right leg injury against Duke in the Elite Eight of the 2013 NCAA Tournament.

"I don't know if in basketball I've ever seen one like that," Jim Nantz of CBS said as medical personnel attended to Ware. Trainers quickly covered his leg with towels due to the graphic nature of the injury.

With the sophomore from the Bronx in agony near the Louisville bench, some of his teammates fell to the floor and later wept over the apparent severity of the injury.

WARNING: Video Is Graphic (video at link)

Louisville led 21-20 at the time of the injury. Play was stopped for several minutes before resuming with 6:33 remaining in the first half.

Several minutes after Ware was stretchered off the court, Tracy Wolfson of CBS reported that the team had confirmed it was a broken leg and that the player had been transported to a hospital.

STORY DEVELOPING..

MORE FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS:

INDIANAPOLIS — Louisville guard Kevin Ware has been carried off the court after badly injuring his lower right leg during the Midwest Regional final against Duke on Sunday.

An official tells several reporters that a bone snapped. Trainers immediately covered the leg with a towel and placed Ware on a backboard, then lifted him onto a stretcher.

Teammates huddled around Ware as he left the court. They were clearly upset when the injury, embracing each other and crying. Coach Rick Pitino wiped tears from his eyes.

The injury occurred with 6:33 left in the first half as Duke's Tyler Thornton made a 3-pointer to get the Blue Devils within 21-20. Ware tried to contest the shot and his leg buckled when he landed.

Some Louisville fans began chanting his name as he was put on the stretcher.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Being graphic sounds like a compound or 'open' fracture? - they are among the worst - though a spiral fracture is probably worse as they are the most difficult to set - next to a compression fracture.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:40:49 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

I was watching when this happened. It wasn't seen live, as it was away from the ball and happened after a player on the other team had scored. CBS replayed once and I caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a leg bent at some bizarre angle, although it must have been the actual bone sticking out of his shin. Just awful.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

famousdayandyear

One positive note:  Indianapolis is extremely well-regarded as one of the best places on the planet to be treated for orthopedic injuries.  Notably, because of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the number of race tracks (paved and dirt) located there.  I believe Kevin Ware is in the best place possible for superb treatment.

Online Lando Lincoln

I watched it on replay... once.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Pretty much just snapped his tibia, fibula, or both.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline mountaineer

It's being reported as a compound fracture, with the bone sticking through the skin.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
No thank you!

What has been seen cannot be unseen......
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

from espn.com:

INDIANAPOLIS -- A gruesome injury that left Louisville guard Kevin Ware with a broken leg plunged Lucas Oil Stadium into horrified silence, with coach Rick Pitino wiping away tears and shocked teammates openly weeping during Sunday's Midwest Regional final.

Ware's right leg bent in such an awkward and frightening angle that CBS stopped showing replays shortly after the fall in the NCAA tournament matchup against Duke.

"The bone's 6 inches out of his leg and all he's yelling is, 'Win the game, win the game,'" Pitino said. "I've not seen that in my life. ... Pretty special young man."

Viewers who saw the injury on TV reacted on social networks and #KevinWare shot to one of the top worldwide trending topics on Twitter. Video of the injury was posted on YouTube -- CBS initially replayed it twice before changing course.

With 6:33 left in the first half, Ware tried to contest a 3-pointer by Duke's Tyler Thornton. Ware's leg buckled when he landed, bending almost at a right angle.

School officials said Ware was taken to Methodist Hospital with a broken lower right leg. Louisville sports information director Kenny Klein said hospital officials told the school that Ware was "resting comfortably" and that the pain was "under control."

Klein said a team of doctors was being assembled. He was uncertain whether that meant Ware would undergo surgery in Indianapolis.

One of Ware's teammates and closest friends, Chane Behanan, spoke with Ware at halftime.

"He said 'Don't worry about me, I'm good, I'll have my surgery tonight,'" Behanan said. "'Go win it for me.'"

Pitino said Ware's leg broke in two spots and that he will need a year to recover from the injury.

Pitino said the injury is similar to the broken leg suffered in 2006 by Louisville star football player Michael Bush, who made his NFL debut in 2008 and has had a productive career with the Oakland Raiders and Chicago Bears.

Ware was taken off the court on a stretcher.

The injury happened right in front of Pitino and the Louisville bench, and several Cardinals were overcome with emotion.

Louisville forward Wayne Blackshear fell to the floor, crying, and Behanan looked as if he was going to be sick on the court, kneeling on his hands and feet. Peyton Siva sat a few feet away, a hand covering his mouth.

Luke Hancock patted Ware's chest as doctors worked on the sophomore and Russ Smith -- who is from New York City, like Ware -- walked away, pulling his jersey over his eyes. Even Pitino wiped tears from his eyes during the nine-minute delay.

Someone finally pulled Behanan to his feet, but he doubled over and needed a few seconds to gather himself. As Ware was being loaded onto the stretcher, the Cardinals gathered at mid-court until Pitino called them over, saying that Ware wanted to talk to them before he left.

In the immediate aftermath, those who had been watching the game on television took to social media to express their concern. Former Washington Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann, who famously sustained a broken leg during a Monday Night Football game against the New York Giants, tweeted: "Watching Duke/Louisville my heart goes out to Kevin Ware."

Louisville, the top overall seed in the tourney, went more than 3 minutes without scoring after the injury but regained its composure to take a 35-32 halftime lead and went on to an 85-63 victory.

"We won this for him," Pitino said. "We were all choked up with emotion for him. We'll get him back to normal. We've got great doctors, great trainers. We talked about it every timeout, 'Get Kevin home.'"

Ware, a 6-foot-2 sophomore from the Bronx, was instrumental in Louisville's victory over Oregon in the regional semifinals. He scored 11 points on 5-for-7 shooting in 25 minutes off the bench.

Behanan switched into Ware's No. 5 jersey near the end of the game.

Afterward, he kept on it and the Cardinal players led the heavily partisan Louisville crowd in chants of "Kev-in, Kev-in." Behanan then took the jersey off and continually held it up next to and underneath the Midwest Region championship trophy.

"Kevin's like a brother to me," Behanan said. "We're always together."