Author Topic:  (Read 1697 times)

famousdayandyear

« on: March 27, 2013, 10:40:01 PM »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:23:43 PM »
I suppose he supports the church protesting their funerals, too... what an ass.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 08:17:25 AM »
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:22:53 PM »
I think American's are starting to pay closer attention... that is a good thing that they start taking on the slime like this author.  I am seeing it in the comments in my local paper to articles as well.

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:28:33 AM »
I didn't do anything heroic... I was never shot at, I had the good fortune to serve during peace time. So all I did was:

Give 4 years of my life to the Navy. Going where they told me, doing what they told me. And, for another 2 years I was an "inactive reserve". Sort of a free agent option.

I served on combatant vessels keeping them ready so that if something bad happened, I'd be there, ready, to protect the likes of Mr. McClellan. On those ships, we routinely did night time refueling, and loading of supplies. Often this was during heavy seas, and the chances of someone being washed over the side were very real. (And did happen once). Another time, a ship ahead of us had a line snap while tying up, tearing the legs from an officer.

And, we were privileged to spend some quality time off the coast of Yemen during a civil war there. Oh, did I mention we lost power and were drifting towards the shore? That we had multiple snipes get heat exhaustion during their 5 minute shifts trying to restore power.

This man has no clue. What has he ever done for his country?
Just thinking about this disgusts me.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:52:15 PM »

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 04:15:12 PM »
Nobody wants to give up anything. I was hoping veterans could lead the way. It would be a heroic thing to do.

Heroes or not, they were all willing to give up their lives for America. The least we can do is thank them by way of a military funeral. How about asking those welfare couch potatoes to give up something? Most of them are better off than the taxpayers who are supporting them.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
I didn't do anything heroic... I was never shot at, I had the good fortune to serve during peace time. So all I did was:

Give 4 years of my life to the Navy. Going where they told me, doing what they told me. And, for another 2 years I was an "inactive reserve". Sort of a free agent option.

I served on combatant vessels keeping them ready so that if something bad happened, I'd be there, ready, to protect the likes of Mr. McClellan. On those ships, we routinely did night time refueling, and loading of supplies. Often this was during heavy seas, and the chances of someone being washed over the side were very real. (And did happen once). Another time, a ship ahead of us had a line snap while tying up, tearing the legs from an officer.

And, we were privileged to spend some quality time off the coast of Yemen during a civil war there. Oh, did I mention we lost power and were drifting towards the shore? That we had multiple snipes get heat exhaustion during their 5 minute shifts trying to restore power.

This man has no clue. What has he ever done for his country?
Just thinking about this disgusts me.

He claims he served and because he went to college on the GI bill that is all the payment he or anyone else deserves.  I disagree. Not only are our veterans willing, able and ready to go to war to protect people like this man, many put good careers on hold to do so and their families back home are affected in many, many ways.  We all owe them a great deal.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »
I guess we're supposed to appreciate the fact that Bill McClellan submitted to the draft and didn't flee to Canada. Apparently, that's all he did for this country. Nevertheless, if he died tonight and his family said they wanted him to receive whatever honors were available for a veteran, I wouldn't object.

My late father served in WWII. He was  on the periphery of naval combat in the South Pacific, but as a result did suffer a rather serious injury that caused him pain for the remaining decades of his life. It didn't earn him a Purple Heart because it wasn't deemed combat-related (not like the grain of rice that hit John Kerry in the butt, for example), but we still wanted to have the flag on his casket and the local VFW (or whoever it was) play taps at the gravesite. He loved his country and he served it honorably. I'm sorry that offends Bill McClellan.

Offline happyg

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 07:33:39 PM »
My late father served in WWII. He was  on the periphery of naval combat in the South Pacific, but as a result did suffer a rather serious injury that caused him pain for the remaining decades of his life. It didn't earn him a Purple Heart because it wasn't deemed combat-related (not like the grain of rice that hit John Kerry in the butt, for example), but we still wanted to have the flag on his casket and the local VFW (or whoever it was) play taps at the gravesite. He loved his country and he served it honorably. I'm sorry that offends Bill McClellan.

The same with my dad and husband. I paid anything that needed to be paid for my husband. My son and two grandsons are in the military, and their friends performed the duties, while they presented me the flag. The VFW did the 21 gun salute and taps.

As for our young men and women, anyone who served in those hell holes deserves a badge of honor. Even sitting behind a desk over there is dangerous.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 11:13:06 AM »
Spent about four years. Volunteeredfor Viet Nam twice-once at Armor School, and the second time while on stateside assignment. Got shot at twice [DMZ, Korea]. In Viet Nam, was a MACV advisor [S-3] to an ARVN Tank Bn., learning M48A3Cs. Got a skin disease I still have. Got some other health problems, too.

So by the columnist's lights, I don't deserve a sendoff. But I willingly gave up four years of my life while a bunch of draft dodging bastards got on with theirs,got the jump on the rest of us, and got to write the narrative that made us out to be a bunch of drug taking psychotic losers. A bugle call isn't much to ask. And when we buried my Pop, Combat Engineer, 4th ID, Utah Beach, battle of France, Huertgen Forest, they played TAPS on a boom box. Cheesey.  :patriot:

CPT ARMOR
MACV 1971
Imjin Scout
1968-1969
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline happyg

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 02:38:29 PM »
Spent about four years. Volunteeredfor Viet Nam twice-once at Armor School, and the second time while on stateside assignment. Got shot at twice [DMZ, Korea]. In Viet Nam, was a MACV advisor [S-3] to an ARVN Tank Bn., learning M48A3Cs. Got a skin disease I still have. Got some other health problems, too.

So by the columnist's lights, I don't deserve a sendoff. But I willingly gave up four years of my life while a bunch of draft dodging bastards got on with theirs,got the jump on the rest of us, and got to write the narrative that made us out to be a bunch of drug taking psychotic losers. A bugle call isn't much to ask. And when we buried my Pop, Combat Engineer, 4th ID, Utah Beach, battle of France, Huertgen Forest, they played TAPS on a boom box. Cheesey.  :patriot:

CPT ARMOR
MACV 1971
Imjin Scout
1968-1969

You are a genuine hero member, PzLdr! I was an Acitivity Director in a local nursing home. One year, I did a salute to the veterans, and a local old-timers band came in and did all patriotic songs. We then read stories about our resident veterans, who cried when they recognized their stories. They thought they were forgotten. At every event, I requested the performers to end their show with a patriotic tribute, and ALL the residents would put their hands over their hearts, some stood, and the men took their hats off. I went to all the aids, and even nurses and asked them to do the same. As far as I know, the nursing home still does that.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 04:54:53 PM »
My husband could have easily gotten out of serving given he suffered Asthma his entire life and in a fall as a child damaged the ligaments in his legs that led to being in a hip to toe cast for over a year, but he not only took a leave from his work to serve in Naval Air, when he was given orders for Long Beach he volunteered to switch with another man who had orders for a two-year stint in Japan and a pregnant wife stateside... the military agreed to the switch and because he was eligible for a top security clearance he was assigned to ordinance on the base..... this was during the run up to Vietnam and they were bringing the plane that were shot up back to Japan in boxes for repair... he never had any use for the draft dodgers that were so prevalent during this period of time.  He loved Japan BTW and learned to speak fluent Japanese while there....

Offline happyg

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 05:38:15 PM »
Interesting story, Rap. My husband loved Japan, too. He was one of the Marines flying to Cuba to give aid to the rebels. On the way there, his plane turned back on orders from Kennedy. He said that was the day he became a republican.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »
After hospitalization for his non-combat-related WWII injuries, my father's assignment was repatriating Japanese POWs. He transported them back to their homeland. I've seen some photos of him in Japan, and he brought back an Arisaka rifle. Heroic? Who knows, but I'm proud of him.

Offline happyg

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 06:06:58 PM »
After hospitalization for his non-combat-related WWII injuries, my father's assignment was repatriating Japanese POWs. He transported them back to their homeland. I've seen some photos of him in Japan, and he brought back an Arisaka rifle. Heroic? Who knows, but I'm proud of him.

My dad did that, too! He was in the Army Air Corps, and spent most of his time in the Philippines.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 06:29:44 PM »
Interesting story, Rap. My husband loved Japan, too. He was one of the Marines flying to Cuba to give aid to the rebels. On the way there, his plane turned back on orders from Kennedy. He said that was the day he became a republican.

That, too is an interesting story, happy.  Interesting what makes people decide where they fall on the political spectrum. 

George was tall with blond hair and blue eyes, he stood out in Japan ~LOL~ but he said what always impressed him most was they really liked Americans (at the time - mid-60's)....... the first time he went skiing in Japan he still had limited Japanese, someone wrote a note for him so he could use it to get to where he was going.  When he went to  breakfast he ordered a Japanese breakfast and said he noticed other Japanese at this table giggling about his order.. when their food arrived he knew why.. he has sea weed, rice and some sort of runny egg, the Japanese had ordered bacon and eggs......   he got a good laugh out of that. 

Offline happyg

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 07:16:19 PM »
That, too is an interesting story, happy.  Interesting what makes people decide where they fall on the political spectrum. 

George was tall with blond hair and blue eyes, he stood out in Japan ~LOL~ but he said what always impressed him most was they really liked Americans (at the time - mid-60's)....... the first time he went skiing in Japan he still had limited Japanese, someone wrote a note for him so he could use it to get to where he was going.  When he went to  breakfast he ordered a Japanese breakfast and said he noticed other Japanese at this table giggling about his order.. when their food arrived he knew why.. he has sea weed, rice and some sort of runny egg, the Japanese had ordered bacon and eggs......   he got a good laugh out of that.

I always loved to try new foods. My husband, Pat was totally basic. When we went to the Domincan Republic, he refused to eat their food, which was delicious. One morning, he saw they had corn flakes, so was on his third bowl, when someone told him he was drinking goat's milk. He left the table. Another time, we went to a snack bar, and he ordered a burger and fries. I told his friend if he mentioned the type of grease that was used, I'd never speak to him again!

It was the same in Mexico, but he had peanut butter, a loaf of bread, and a jar of grape jelly in his suitcase! All that good food, and he missed out on it.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 08:01:07 PM »
...he had peanut butter, a loaf of bread, and a jar of grape jelly in his suitcase!

Not looking for a fight, Happyg, but a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is the bestest food ever invented. In fact I have a theory that the famed "ambrosia of the gods" was actuallY a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Homer just neglected to call it that.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline happyg

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 08:48:10 PM »
...he had peanut butter, a loaf of bread, and a jar of grape jelly in his suitcase!

Not looking for a fight, Happyg, but a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is the bestest food ever invented. In fact I have a theory that the famed "ambrosia of the gods" was actuallY a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Homer just neglected to call it that.

No fight from me! That's is nearly all my youngest grandson eats. The doctor said it's fine as long as he drinks liquids. My middle son eats it every night before going to bed. So do I, except without jelly,  along with a glass of milk. For some reason, it helps me sleep.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 09:05:14 PM »
After General James Mattis USMC retired, who was the last of the field officer generals, we hardly have a fighting force left.  When Sec of the Navy Mabus lowers standards so that women serve in combat roles, we are toast anyway.  But I am for a military funeral for anyone who served before all that insanity happens.
 ***evilkitty

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 11:07:37 PM »

Best food ever invented was my Mom's homemade three cheese ravioli [with her homemade gravy]! Post - Homer.  :laugh: :patriot:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

famousdayandyear

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 12:05:05 AM »
To all:  Happy Easter.  By the Way, this is a thread for military news.   :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf