Author Topic: 19-Year-Old Develops Ocean Cleanup Array That Could Remove 7,250,000 Tons Of Plastic From the World's Oceans  (Read 2240 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
19-Year-Old Develops Ocean Cleanup Array
That Could Remove 7,250,000 Tons Of Plastic From the World's Oceans

19-year-old Boyan Slat has unveiled plans to create an Ocean Cleanup Array that could remove 7,250,000 tons of plastic waste from the world’s oceans. The device consists of an anchored network of floating booms and processing platforms that could be dispatched to garbage patches around the world. Instead of moving through the ocean, the array would span the radius of a garbage patch, acting as a giant funnel. The angle of the booms would force plastic in the direction of the platforms, where it would be separated from plankton, filtered and stored for recycling.

http://inhabitat.com/19-year-old-student-develops-ocean-cleanup-array-that-could-remove-7250000-tons-of-plastic-from-the-worlds-oceans/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

Good, I've seen photos and it's not pretty and does a lot of damage to wildlife.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

Good, I've seen photos and it's not pretty and does a lot of damage to wildlife.

Yes, the photos of the bird skeletons filled with plastic and other assorted debris are horrible.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
I can see someone putting the kibosh on this for whatever reason. One issue would be - where would they take the recovered plastic for recycling?
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Online DCPatriot

I can see someone putting the kibosh on this for whatever reason. One issue would be - where would they take the recovered plastic for recycling?

I believe the concept can be advanced to accommodate floating dumpsters....like the shuttle hooking up with the space station.  Fill it up and move em' on out!

Offline ladybug

But what would those Lefties do who are screaming NO MORE PLASTIC!!!!!!