Author Topic: Sergio Garcia climbs a tree to hit one-handed second shot  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Sergio Garcia climbs a tree to hit one-handed second shot
« on: March 27, 2013, 06:14:14 am »
This is really quite phenomenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10jORLiU7Ak
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Sergio Garcia climbs a tree to hit one-handed second shot
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:50:31 pm »
If he could putt on the greens as well as he can get himself out of jams on the rest of the course, he'd be dangerous.

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 01:29:31 pm »
He later withdrew from that tournament, for an unspecified reason.

Poor Sergio. He came up as a brash, over confident punk kid. He was, in my opinion, not a likable character. It seems life, and the pro tour has worn him down, and not all of it bad. He has matured, been humbled, and seems much more grounded.  I actually root for the guy now.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 01:38:02 pm »
He seems to  have injured his shoulder and possibly his ankle in the tree-climbing incident, which is why he withdrew.  A lot of the Tiger slurpers on golf discussion boards were dissing and mocking Sergio for doing what he did, but I think it was a game effort.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 03:19:54 pm »
He later withdrew from that tournament, for an unspecified reason.

Poor Sergio. He came up as a brash, over confident punk kid. He was, in my opinion, not a likable character. It seems life, and the pro tour has worn him down, and not all of it bad. He has matured, been humbled, and seems much more grounded.  I actually root for the guy now.

I agree.  I used to root for Sergio to miss putts, now I cringe whenever he does (which is quite often, especially in clutch situations).  I saw his interview with Feherty last year, and I think that changed my opinion of him somewhat.  A broken heart and failure at goal achievement will do a lot to a man.  In Sergio's case I think it has caused him to be more accepting of his limitations and grateful for the gifts he does have.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 03:26:02 pm »
He's was a very young and handsome Hispanic.....at a time when the game was owned by Tiger Woods.

Always a bridesmaid and never a bride.....he adopted somewhat of a John McEnroe persona.   Always thought that was a calculated strategy in order to garner sponsorships.

A renegade of sorts.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 03:27:11 pm »
I agree.  I used to root for Sergio to miss putts, now I cringe whenever he does (which is quite often, especially in clutch situations).  I saw his interview with Feherty last year, and I think that changed my opinion of him somewhat.  A broken heart and failure at goal achievement will do a lot to a man.  In Sergio's case I think it has caused him to be more accepting of his limitations and grateful for the gifts he does have.

We're on the same page. I saw that interview, changed my opinion of Sergio. There aren't many golfers I like to see fail. Vijay Singh is one.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 04:36:44 pm »
We're on the same page. I saw that interview, changed my opinion of Sergio. There aren't many golfers I like to see fail. Vijay Singh is one.

The deer antler thing has hurt Vijay somewhat, also some other things in the past having to do with his skirting of the rules.  But Vijay has always been good to me, so I cut him some slack.  I have followed him around on practice days before majors many times and now he recognizes me and talks to me when I run into him.  At Oak Hill up in Rochester a few years back I saw an unusual looking club in his bag and asked him what it was.  He said it was a weighted club for loosening up, and asked me if I wanted to try it.  Of course, I did.  Since then, I've talked about many things with Vijay during practice rounds, from managing marriage and kids while on tour to the advantages of personal jets.  He's a fairly interesting guy.

Another time I was down at Congressional during a practice round and a phone starting ringing in Vijay's bag just as he was about to swing.  I asked him if he was going to get that.  He paused, reached into the bag, answered the phone and then looked at me.  "It's your wife" he said.  Everyone cracked up.

Very few players are as accessible to fans as Vijay.

Offline Relic

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 04:47:32 pm »
The deer antler thing has hurt Vijay somewhat, also some other things in the past having to do with his skirting of the rules.  But Vijay has always been good to me, so I cut him some slack.  I have followed him around on practice days before majors many times and now he recognizes me and talks to me when I run into him.  At Oak Hill up in Rochester a few years back I saw an unusual looking club in his bag and asked him what it was.  He said it was a weighted club for loosening up, and asked me if I wanted to try it.  Of course, I did.  Since then, I've talked about many things with Vijay during practice rounds, from managing marriage and kids while on tour to the advantages of personal jets.  He's a fairly interesting guy.

Another time I was down at Congressional during a practice round and a phone starting ringing in Vijay's bag just as he was about to swing.  I asked him if he was going to get that.  He paused, reached into the bag, answered the phone and then looked at me.  "It's your wife" he said.  Everyone cracked up.

Very few players are as accessible to fans as Vijay.

Nice story. You've been much closer to pros than I ever will be. I'm just a golf league hacker. :)

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 05:02:44 pm »
The player-fan interaction is why I like to attend LPGA tournaments. That's a great story about Vijay.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 05:07:11 pm »
Nice story. You've been much closer to pros than I ever will be. I'm just a golf league hacker. :)

It's a function of being a lifelong golfer and college prof, plus living in the Northeast.  I have summers off, so if there is a major within a six hour drive I'll go to the Mon-Wed practice rounds and check out the lay of the land, then come back and watch the actual tournament on TV.  I've seen Oak Hill, Baltusrol, Pinehurst, Shinnecock, Muirfield, Oakmont, Congressional, Firestone, Bethpage, Saucon Valley and I am sure some other places I've forgotten about.  This year I'll be at Merion, of course.  It's only a couple of hours away from where I live.

Practice rounds are the best time to go, IMHO.  The crowds are thin and the players will usually talk to you.  Once I was at Shinnecock and it was very late in the day and Joey Sindelar had just showed up.  Neither he nor his caddy had seen the course, which is filled with blind tee shots.  He hit a ball, and I said nice shot.  He turns around and says "Was it?  I can't tell where the hell I am supposed to hit it  Do you know the course?"  I told him I had walked it about three times.  So he pulled me inside the ropes and had me point out the lines on each tee shot for the rest of his practice round.  That is probably the most fun I've ever had at a pro tournament.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 05:11:15 pm »
The player-fan interaction is why I like to attend LPGA tournaments. That's a great story about Vijay.

If you like LPGA events, you should go to the ShopRite Classic just outside of Atlantic City in June.  My wife and I go every year.  We stay right there at the Seaview resort where the tournament is played.  They have a second course, so we can play golf half the day and watch golf the other half.  Also, most of the players also stay at the resort so you'll run into them in the gym in the morning and at the restaurants and bars at night.  It's a very fun weekend.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 06:05:06 pm »
We used to go to the Giant Eagle LPGA event near Warren, Ohio (now defunct), but last year attended the Wegman's LPGA championship near Rochester, NY. I met Lexi Thompson on the hotel elevator - nice girl.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 07:00:32 pm »
We used to go to the Giant Eagle LPGA event near Warren, Ohio (now defunct), but last year attended the Wegman's LPGA championship near Rochester, NY. I met Lexi Thompson on the hotel elevator - nice girl.

She seems like it.  She's starting to look mature, finally.  For the last few years she was kind of awkward and lanky like a big puppy dog you knew would be quite a specimen when it grew up.  I've seen her play but never talked to her.

(and just so no one accuses us of hijacking the thread, I don't know if she has ever met Sergio Garcia, either.)

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 09:15:15 pm »
He's was a very young and handsome Hispanic.....at a time when the game was owned by Tiger Woods.

Always a bridesmaid and never a bride.....he adopted somewhat of a John McEnroe persona.   Always thought that was a calculated strategy in order to garner sponsorships.

A renegade of sorts.

That one on one between he and Tiger in Palm Springs back in the day was pretty good TV, though.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline ladybug

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 02:22:28 am »
 I live a stone's throw from Pebble Beach, CA and all the GREAT GOLF COURSES there in, but I've never watched a big tournament except on TV. (SOB)...

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 06:10:37 am »
Omg, Ladybug, you may never have watched a big tournament except on TV. but you live in a beautiful, beautiful area, and that surely is worth something.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline ladybug

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 11:08:20 pm »
Oh yes, Cincin, it's worth A LOT...